PRO USERS PLEASE DO THE MERGE-REQUESTS OF NON PRO USERS !

Started by Fred Bergman on Saturday, August 13, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 181-210 of 1960 posts

Done, Martin

Martin Vatshelle, those two merges will connect an unconnected tree causing even more merges, so I suggest you contact the profile manager Arne Gerhard Aasebø first and ask if he is ready to join "the big tree" with his 55 profiles. He was online yesterday. If it was a tree from an abandoned account I would have merged them directly.

http://www.geni.com/people/Bj%C3%B8rn-P-Brox/285725352490006131 , I am in contact with him, shall tell him about this merge. He is also a basic user and hence can't merge or add new people. So I guess he wants to connect so that his tree can grow.

Private User Done

Hi everyone! I have a lot of profiles building up in my tree that need to be merged and, unfortunately, I can not do them. It's a shame as I spent a lot of time on this tree before everything became pay-for and I hate seeing it get so behind. I've tried the mergetool link for non-pro users, but I don't have permission to even use that I guess. Unfortunately, I can't afford to become a paying member. But could someone please clean up the merge issues for the families of Rush- especially Elizabeth Rush (Lewis), Hosler, and Mary Bare (Brumbaugh)? Thank you.

Chelle can you post links to the profiles please? You can copy it from the address bar (the www. ...) and paste it into a post. Thanks so mich.

Hi, Chelle Marie.

It would help a lot if you could link the profiles you want merged. There are a few Elizabeth Rush around, so please link all of them.

Heyy, Could someone merge this profile for me?
http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000004370509002?fsession%5Fid...

Cannot do. Both profiles are private. The PRO user needs to be a member of the same family group. Sorry!

Both profiles are private, but the one on the right is managed by the requester so that side is already approved.

More to the point is that the one on the left is a claimed Geni user, so that person should be involved personally in any merge request on her profile.

well...not when the claimed Geni user has given her family group members to edit her profile, i think.

Yes if family group members have that permission. I wonder whether anyway it's best for a Geni user to be personally involved in a merge on their profile.

I have seen people state previously in public discussion that we should never try to merge with a claimed profile.

Caroline, done.

You must take care of the conflicts.

David, if a free user has a duplicate of him/herself, then all he/she can do is to have a PRO in her familygroup, change the setting mentioned in permissions and ask the PRO user to merge his/her duplicates, that´s the only way, which is somehow irrational or dumb, but i´m not the judge. Beside that the PRO user must also have the other managers of the dublicates of the free user in his/her family group. Hope i explained it understandably.

Jaak, I agree with all that. But I generally find it easier just to delete the duplicate of a claimed profile. When two non-claimed profiles are merged, the merged profile gets all the managers of the two original profiles.

But merge a claimed profile with a non-claimed, and all the other managers fall away.

A Geni user generally anyway chooses themselves what they show on their profile. eg may not want to merge their profile without a picture with someone else's with a picture - they may not like the picture - and that's their prerogative.

David,
I believe the reason the managers "fall away" from a claimed profile is due to the fact that it has been claimed by the person of whom the profile is, and presumably knows themselves and their profile best. Makes sense to me. As for deleting vs merging, I guess I see your point, but the merge feature is what I like best about geni -- it ideally fosters collaboration so you get information and pictures from multiple sources. Just my opinion.

Judy, I think we are in agreement. I certainly advocate merge over delete (notwithstanding that now non-PRO cannot merge). Deleting copies of claimed profiles is I would say a special case.

Understood. And there are so many problems now with merges (and I'm a "pro," for whatever that's worth), that I've stopped paying attention to my every growing list of merges and conflicts etc. I have a relative who "claimed" her profile, but probably doesn't go onto Geni anymore. I would love to clear up a conflict of information from her profile (or even just delete the notification) that is out there, but she needs to approve it. So if she doesn't go on, it doesn't get approved, and it keeps on showing up under my conflict list. One small example of many.

Done

I might be late to the table on this one, but the 'records match' tab, wants me to pay to view the matches! When did this happen, I'm already a PRO account. Someone enlighten me, as I am getting a little ticked off.
Is there something that I am missing? Thank you

Barbara reading this may help.
http://www.geni.com/blog/

IMHO, anything that helps Geni's bottom line that does not involve charges to casual Geni users is a total plus. FB-type targeted advertising or additional fee-based genealogical services? Bring it on. I don't know what has taken so long.

It would appear that most of my merge issues that existed when the switch happened have now been cleaned up by the pro-users. However, I do have one merge remaining.
http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000003144821622?return=merge_...

Jeffrey Wayne Morrell -

Someone may have already told you this, but your profile of this person is private and cannot be made public. You will need to make it public before it can be merged.

Showing 181-210 of 1960 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion