PRO USERS PLEASE DO THE MERGE-REQUESTS OF NON PRO USERS !

Started by Fred Bergman on Saturday, August 13, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1921-1950 of 1960 posts

ps: On numbers, some 'brilliant' managers used that to identify the birth sequence. Maybe they don't know that it could be done at the profile page!

Eldon Lester Clark I used numbers to indicate marriage order. But sometimes manager use numbers to indicate birth order like Aznijar bin Ahmad Yazid said.. and some managers also like to put numbers to indicate tree generation line.. and for symbol @ of course it was referred to a.k.a. Before this, i also prefer to use @ but when it appears on the tree, it stated "Unknown".. then i use slash symbol to indicate a.k.a. In case if you know titles or honorifics of that person, i suggest better to put on the first name. Yup, for dates & locations are quite challenging to resolve. I think that problems more to privacy issue. Not all peoples in this world like to share their location, their moments right? he3

Aznijar bin Ahmad Yazid & Mohamad Habrul Ulum Othman

I suggest creating a Geni project page with best practices for names in your area. Can one of you start the project?

Mohamad Habrul Ulum Othman Birth order and marriage order can be set in Geni.and AKA field is already there. Titles or honorifics should be done in the display field

I do not think that there is any need for a naming convention specific for use in our area. What is available is in my opinion very sufficient. It is really a question of understanding our own names ie
(1) We do not have what is understood as a first name in the Western environment. Our personal name can run into more than one. For example my personal name is Mohamed Kamal and that would be the equivalent to the Western 'first name'.
(2) We have no middle name and some of us do not have surnames Our last names are likely our father's name. The word. BIN/BINTI often filled in as middle name are not names at all and simply means SON OF or DAUGHTER OF.
(3) The best thing to do is to write the whole name in the first name section because to do otherwise would add to the confusion. Such items like birth surnames do not apply to us unless we have a surname.

I have highlighted this issue elsewhere and even here earlier.

I disagree with the notion that there is ego or conceit on the part of the profiled person involved here particularly in the use of honorifics. This generally happens when distant relatives are involved in entering profiles and quite often duplicated several times over by many members who are keen to show their royal or aristocratic heritages and in so doing place a great deal of emphasis on the honorifics of the generations above them. I notice that Bruneians are very particular about being correctly addressed as Haji and Hajjah and their profile names reflect that. The rest of us are not too worried about that.

Names of Malay Royalty and aristocrats are often preceded by lengthy honorific tiles and salutations and can makes them look very lengthy and intimidating. this can of-course be shortened or eliminated without failing to identify the personality correctly. I would rather therefore prefer not to engage 'alien' curators (with due respect) for assistance in merging our profiles no matter how competent they may be unless of-course they very well-versed with Malay/Muslim names

Numerals featuring in profiles are in all probability indication of generations and are best left unaltered lest we interfere with peculiar structure established by their managers or immediate family members.

Mohamad Habrul Ulum Othman I am not being argumentative here but I would suggest that BIN/BINTI (in lower case) should be in the last name field preceding the name.

I believe we have a curator competent in the use of Malay/Muslim names who would certainly help. Perhaps a request in the ATTENTION Curators, please assist discussion http://www.geni.com/discussions/80793

It is at the end of the day a matter of personal choice as I do not think that it matters to anyone at all. It is just painful to the eyes sometimes when it is incorrectly applied.

Dear Erica Howton.
Thank you for the suggestion mooted on best practice for naming. However, I am not sure that would be the best way forward. Different parties might have different ideas and agenda.

The best thing is for the standard convention to be adopted. As it is, I am in the opinion that names of the concerned parties (within the Nusantara region) to be entered wholly in the first name section, I concur with the suggestion provided by brother Private User on this one.

As for honorifics, salutations etc, I would certainly glad for it to be included in the 'Display Name' section.

On numerals, I would definitely like for it to go away into the suffix section, if it must be included at all.

Thanks for continuous support, brother Eldon Lester Clark!

Aznijar bin Ahmad Yazid

I thought of a project page as simple as what's been outlined in post http://www.geni.com/discussions/99133?msg=965879

Then it's permanent instead of lost in a flow of messages, and anyone unsure can be referred to that page for "best practices." The same as a Wiki page.

I use the "name conventions" projects for tracking / merging my own ancestral lines who used different languages than I do. It's been quite a useful tool for me.

I certainly follow the logic but "at merge time" it's great to have the lookup available.

And can send a link to new members! Otherwise because in English an honorific comes first & we have no prefix field, they may not know to use the display name instead of "first name."

Dear Erica Howton.

Terribly sorry for missing this message.

Let me brain-storm with some of my collaborators on this project. Thank you gain.

All the best!

Your Fast Dan

Bill: I sent a request to the child of one to finish cleaning up that area.

Cool

Dear Fred,

I usually do.

Pessy Rosenberg requested the merge of her profile with herself. please help complete this merge (and the nearby merges).

http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000026496280900?&to=60000...

Thanks

Richard Radzinsky

The manager of the other profile Yehudis Krausz was only online for a few days when she created those profiles and has not been on since June, she also only has 5 profiles in that tree so it would be best to cancel that request.

Peter Dennis...Gone fishing! I think u have posted in wrong Discussion

Alex Moes Why would you think that?

Peter Dennis...Gone fishing! Merges completed. There are Data Conflicts for you to resolve.

Peter
a) you are a Pro yourself
b) a Pro can't complete that merge

I'm pretty sure that currently there's no difference to merging privileges between Pro abd Basic, which is why this Discussion has gone quiet

Alex Moes
you are probably right, i needed a curator to help me as one of the profiles had privacy issues.
Eldon Lester Clark thank you!

Can you please merge the profile for Charles Benarroch and the only other Charles-Benarroch on geni? The profile managed by bowater

Private User,

Done. This is something that a curator would have been the only one who could of completed them for you.

Oh, poo! We almost went a whole year without a post in this thread.
Missed it by this >< much!
:)

Can any of you merge the profile of
Eduardo Eulert and
Eduardo Eulert

Federico Jose Armando Perez-Cueto Eulert you are trying to merge a claimed User's profile with a deceased Public profile. PRO users cannot merge claimed profiles, it is a Curator only function.
I have merged based on it being an "Abandoned" profile, the user has not logged on since 2010.

From my point of view, users that adds people as "private profile" do it because they don't know how to do, or they don´t want other users working with their job (¿¿¿???). In the second case is necessary that GENI change their politics for Private/Public by a combination of "decease" with "public" or something according to this problem. I added/merged about 16,000 profiles, some for my own family and a lot for helping others GENI's users, because GENI was made for a Worldwide Tree.

Showing 1921-1950 of 1960 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion