PRO USERS PLEASE DO THE MERGE-REQUESTS OF NON PRO USERS !

Started by Fred Bergman on Saturday, August 13, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1891-1920 of 1960 posts

Richard Paul Radzinsky, nice to know and thank you for the information. You said 'startled'. Did you mean 'started' Sir?

Private User - Geni currently does not require any contact at all - and I am not suggesting there that Geni do so - rather that, at least in some cases, folks wanting to merge first send a geni-message such as I suggest - nor do I suggest that they should wait indefinitely for a response.

I think "startled" makes sense - startled when merges suddenly occur to "their" profiles. Often startled in a very negative way, if there has been no preliminary contact and agreement.

PS - please do not type more than just my first name. Whatever anyone types here is Public - and I would prefer only my first name being made Public.

Private User

please do not type or copy and paste users full names

either first names or copy link address from our names pasting the full link to our pages (this allows geni to modify it as such)

startle is the correct term
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/startle

Sorry and understood Lois. I also prefer to be addressed as just Kamal not that I have any issues with privacy.

Similarly to you Richard. I was only following what I perceived as practice and protocol as my name has been displayed in full in both your communications addressed to me.

I note for the future. My sincere apologies to you both.

Kamal

if you want that to be your display name set it as such

Richard Radzinsky

Richard I have no difficulty in understanding the words started and startled so the Webster Dictionary (which I seldom use) reference is quite unnecessary. I usually refer to the Oxford Dictionary. I asked only to be sure that there was no typographical error on Lois's part and that he typed correctly what he wanted to.

I am saying this only to make sure that we will not misunderstand each other again in the future.

This is Richard here

this is why we link to user pages and do not type full names ideally because it allows the user in question full control over there display name

i see your online watch my name change

Hi RpbR!

Thank you for the tip. Very useful for understanding features in Geni.

Kamal

you can change your display name here
http://www.geni.com/profile/edit_basics/6000000000388763657

by all means change it to Kamal
then every blue link to you in this thread will also change

also when you refer to me try my user link (i really dont care) just try it

Kamal - You have been seeing "tagging" - among other things, means your name in Blue - which means it is clickable and will change if you change your display name. Also if you unclicked "Let the Public Search for me" then anyone not logged in to Geni just sees "Private User", not the name. To achieve that - at start of message, type at-sign - ie @ - then start typing either the first or last name - do NOT hit a space - when drop-down menu appears of choices - choose the name from the choices. This tags the person. Type my first name, or tag me - either is fine.

Private User you should consider changing your display name to Lois to avoid this sort of issue

personally i do not care about privacy on geni

i was mostly responding to reinforce that you were in fact correct and that kamal was unintentionally making you less then comfortable because of privacy concerns

that is i do not care about MY privacy on geni

i care about the privacy of other users

fyi this link is for kamal only (to edit) http://www.geni.com/profile/edit_basics/6000000000388763657

also thanks Private User
i did not know the @ trick
i still prefer to copy link and paste

Richard - Personally, I find it obnoxious when folks choose to use Display Name that way. I recommend Kamal NOT do that. Also - anyone can choose in their settings to ignore Display name, so does not necessarily accomplish anything. [Please do not respond here further re: good or bad to change Display Name - fear we have been off-topic way too long - if want to continue, create separate Discussion]

Apologies to all for this off-topic digression.

he does not like being refer to as his full name
and prefers his second name
so he should change his display name

also in case you did not understand Bin means Son
it appears his last name is not his family name

Lois and Richard,

I am quite happy with the way I am presented and called or referred to. No issue at all. My close friends and relatives who are familiar with me simply call me Kamal. I prefer this because it is informal and friendly.

You are also right that my last name is not my surname and that is common in some parts of the world. Generally only those who have been exposed to 'civilisation' have surnames.

Kamal

Richard Radzinsky

Have you tried collaborating with the other manager, those profiles have birth dates of c1970...

Angus Wood-Salomon,

I have been able to complete the merges for Richard Radzinsky.

Kevin

Richard Radzinsky

Please review

Mohamad I will be happy to help with the merges if you stack them. I am not familiar enough in this area or with the naming to stack and merge them myself. Some appear to be similar but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Mohamad Please contact me privately. I have been doing a lot of merges for you and want to talk about Indonesian naming conventions.

Eldon Lester Clark. Muhammad Habrul Ulum is his first name.. all 3 of them... Othman is his father's name!

How do we talk about conventions? Hehehe.

He is Malaysia, by the way, the son of my 4th cousin.

Cheers,
aznijar, first name, ahmad yazid, father's name.

Malaysian, I mean. Sorry typo.

Lori Lynn Wilke Yup. You might be confusing of the naming if someone put middle name in previous work. Sure I will stack on them.

Eldon Lester Clark: Thanks sir. Actually, I'm not too expert about Indonesian naming conventions but I will be glad to conversate with you about this. And perhaps Aznijar bin Ahmad Yazid can explain better rather than me. He3 :)

My understanding is that like Iceland, Malaysia has no need of surnames. Is it best for the Geni profiles to use the first name field for the given names and patronymics? You tell us what's easiest for you all!

Mohamad Habrul Ulum Othman What I was seeing in the name fields were numbers, some with the @ symbol a couple of Brigadier Generals and a lot of what I suspected were honorifics in all the name fields
Also, most had no dates or locations.

Eldon Lester Clark Yes, unfortunately some of these folks over here are too concerned with the titles and honorifics, they insists on having them in their names, even 'haji' or 'hajjah', the prefix to identify that they have successfully perform the pilgrimage to Makkah!

Very vain, in my own personal view.

Have fun merging.

Showing 1891-1920 of 1960 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion