Remove the death date - She had 9 children.

Started by Sandy Coleman on Saturday, July 23, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 5 posts
7/23/2011 at 6:04 PM

1. M Skelfi HALFDANSSON (AFN:18JW-667)
Born: Abt 0480 Ringerike, Buskerud, Norway

2. M Audi HALFDANSSON (AFN:18JW-VBH)
Born: Abt 0486 Ringerike, Buskerud, Norway

3. M Bragi HALFDANSSON (AFN:18JW-VCP)
Born: Abt 0492 Ringerike, Buskerud, Norway

4. M Dag (Degi) HALFDANSSON (AFN:18JW-VDW)
Born: Abt 0494 Ringerike, Buskerud, Norway

5. M Siggari HALFDANSSON (AFN:18JW-VF4)
Born: Abt 0496 Ringerike, Buskerud, Norway

6. M Lofdi HALFDANSSON (AFN:18JW-VGB)
Born: Abt 0498 Ringerike, Buskerud, Norway

7. M Nefli HALFDANSSON (AFN:18JW-VHJ)
Born: Abt 0499 Ringerike, Buskerud, Norway

8. M Hildi HALFDANSSON (AFN:18JW-VJQ)
Born: Abt 0500 of Ringerike, Buskerud, Norway

9. M Budli HALFDANSSON (AFN:18JW-VKX)
Born: Abt 0502 Ringerike, Buskerud, Norway

Private User
7/24/2011 at 9:59 AM

Sandy, I know this has been pointed out to you in the past, but virtually all of the dates in the historical tree are approximated. Have you considered that perhaps something else is causing the error, like a bad merge or errors on the *other* profiles? Again, this is why we have to use legitimate sources in genealogy -- if you're simply guessing at what the problem is, you may get it wrong and keep bad information on other profiles while deleting good information from the one you're working on.

7/25/2011 at 2:33 AM

The information above comes from FamilySearch which also has a type of merging so I am somewhat familiar with merging. I am not a member of Geni. I am working hard to make a flawless line from me to Adam and Eve. When that is completed I am afraid to put it on Geni for fear someone will merge my at least "potential problem" free into not so correct data. Are you suggesting she did not have those children and did die in her early 20's?

Private User
7/25/2011 at 10:51 AM

The FamilySearch record for this person is based off of user-submitted trees, not primary source documents. They likely have several entries for this same person, all with very different information. Again, *all* of the entries you're going to find on FamilySearch or any other website regarding this time period are going to be heavily reconstructed and likely mythical. To be blunt, if you're trying to find wholly accurate information in that time period, you're going to drive yourself crazy. The reality is that many of the people on FamilySearch never even existed.

What I'm suggesting is that your approach right now largely involves you making guesses about things, and that is actually going to lead to you having a more inaccurate tree than you think -- it will just be inaccurate in different ways. You would probably do well to brush up on the Golden Rules of genealogy and try to follow them in order to have an accurate tree. You can read them at http://genealogy.about.com/od/basics/a/rules.htm

7/26/2011 at 4:54 PM

Sandy, it is not possible to get a flawless line from you and back to Adam and Eve. The uncertainty starts probably around 1500, the mythology starts around 800-900, and with almost everything before that it is impossible to find reliable sources that is collaborated by other reliable sources. Your mission is doomed to fail even before you start.

Everything written about norwegians living before 800 is unreliable, untrustworthy, mythological and most probably pure fantasy. Do not go that way! If your flawless line from you to Adam/Eve goes via norwegians living before 800, and you show it to someone with some genealogical knowledge, it will be laughed upon.

My advice: Do your genealogy mostly in a timeperiod where you can find and use primary sources for the information about the persons. FamilySearch, Rootsweb, Ancestry.com, Geni and a lot of other sites on internet is not even close to being a primary source, at least not for the time you are using in your first message in this thread.

Remi Pedersen
Norwegian genealogist.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion