Announcing a New Amsterdam program for descendants

Started by George J. Homs on Wednesday, July 20, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 16 posts
7/20/2011 at 2:49 AM

Hello all. After some one-on-one discussions, I just initiated a new program on the existing [http://www.geni.com/projects/New-Amsterdam-Living-Descendants Living Descendants] page. The text on that page is fully revised.
I hope you'll like the program. More importantly: let's collaborate and get results! :-)

Private User
7/20/2011 at 6:53 AM

Hi George,
I would like to be part of this. My family line includes the Brouwers (my maternal grandmother was a Brouwer and her brother was the last in our line to carry the name). I would like to work with Jan Brouwer and Jannetje Brouwer and his descendants. I am aware that there are many Brouwers out there, but not very involved with Genie. My paternal grandmother's also family goes back to old New York and New Jersey Dutch, and I'd like to coordinate my tree with other descendants from her line as well.

7/20/2011 at 7:10 AM

Hi George

We've now proven that previously unknown to my immediate family, Captain Thomas Skillman, I is my 9th great grandfather. He was English but of Dutch descent, and his children married Dutch families; my own line is married in with the Fein / Fine family *I think* (still a work in progress!)

If you like I can work more on these lines until "family name bearers" emerge.

Also since I am currently your foot soldier on the ground in the old "Roode Hoek" of "The Village of Breuckelen," perhaps I can help there as well.

And I will take a pass at the Vreeland family. I have friends of that name.

Private User
7/20/2011 at 7:40 AM

Erica, I have Vreelands in my tree. My 6th ggrandmother was Metje Vreeeland.
Metje Spier
I'd appreciate anything you come up with. My profiles are pretty thin!

(Sounds like you live in Brooklyn. My parents grew up there. I spent a lot of my youth in Flatbush and Park Slope.)

7/20/2011 at 9:31 AM

I am actually from Manhattan (with no NYC direct ancestry!) and am temporarily living in Brooklyn (again). Enjoying how Brooklyn has changed, and for the better.

7/20/2011 at 11:20 AM

Hey Janice, Erica! You noticed that I emphasied 'name-bearers', but also suggested people 'associated'. It's all a matter of nuance :-)
I think that name-bearers have something special. I feel they have some sort of privilege. But, I also suggested that there could be more than one coordinator. I think I have currently joined about 60 name-bearers to the project, and I would love their participation - but it's all a matter of time. I rather like results, and we need to practical. Hence, LET'S GO FOR IT. Sean Staats is already taking the initiative on the Staats family. Erica, I'll put you on the Skillmans; Janice, of course I'll put you on the Brouwers. I'll put you both on the Vreelands. I think it will be interesting to explore those lines for name-bearers, and then try to get in touch with them and invite them to join the program. Ann Vermeulen and will try and communicate one-on-one with identified name-bearers, and invite them to join the effort.
Many of our friends on Geni are not logging in every day, so they may simply not have seen what's going on here :-)

7/20/2011 at 1:42 PM

George very much agree -- and I like to see my own role as a curator in a sense as a "stand in" (temporary or permanent?) for those who bear the name.

For that matter we can add me, if you like, as a coordinator for the Aten family (would love a co-coordinator). I think I just found a good website with source records:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~aten/index.html
ATEN/AUTEN FAMILY PAGE

I descend from Annetje Skillman

AND I'm wondering if the Aten's were Scottish before they were in Holland ???

7/21/2011 at 12:28 AM

What about the Outten name? There was a genealogist/member when I was part of CAAGS named Outten. Also, I think, Sidney Poitier was descended from an Outten?

7/21/2011 at 3:31 PM

I know an Outten family also, from St. Louis.

7/21/2011 at 10:46 PM

Mr. Poitier's Bahamian parents, Evelyn (née Outten) and Reginald James Poitier.

Private User
6/21/2012 at 6:51 PM

Sandra Kostecki Sometimes it's necessary to have an opportunity to make a genealogical-line without knowing ALL the intermediate profiles by yourself. I have had that experience when I was trying to make a branch of the KOEKOEK-familiy from Holland, the famous painters with that golden light and nice icey skating tableaux. Because one specific 'C' did NOT respond to any attempt from me to get acces to the oldest KOEKOEK, there was no other way to reach all the information necessary for my research (American geni-users asked me help to identify a painters signature of a member of the KOEKOEK-family, so I had to trace them all) then to make a new profile and to merge them both to one. But that also was not possible, for that 'C' was non-communicative about collaboration or helping to get the knot 'unknotted'. Finaly a Not-'C' in my collaboration network helped me out by having that particular profile in his/her bench and I could continue my research....
This unfortunate story is not ment to disapproach all that magnificent curatores that were able to learn me, sometimes funnyly just by NON-communication, how things are ruling on this world-wide-platform for every-one who is curious to know more about mutual DNA & habits & family-stories, also about the paintings on the wall...

So, to my experience, just George J. Homs is one of my most reliable members of the geni-curatorium, but it is not a sanatorium here, please consider this with wisedom and not by accusing people in a googlebar thread, ok?

yours (et others) sincerely, jeannette from holland, europe.

Private User
6/21/2012 at 7:18 PM

I would very much appreciate to get in contact with geni-users who like to do some research on people with the surnames related to :

http://www.geni.com/projects/van-DEURZEN-❧-family-%E2%80%A7-genealo...

On this project-page I have started to collect some holders of these names, but there is here in the Netherlands a couple of very reliable people who worked on this Ancestors & Descendants van DEURZEN already quite some years:
http://www.van-deursen-8000.nl/index.html

Some time ago I tried to get them interested in working together on geni, but at that moment most people in our country working in genealogy did not trust this platform at all and they refused, even to give me more information than I could read on their internet-site myself. And that is really not the way we are used to co-operate here in europe, so it made me a little bit anxious to enter this american-based Geni-Garden myself....

groet van jeannette from holland, europe.

Private User
6/21/2012 at 7:24 PM

Jacoba Catharina Gerardina van Deurzen is my grandmother, but I knew her hardly, for she died when I was 3 months and because of the before-&-after-WWarII-besognes, my mother did not speak of her much...

Map of the county Buren, Atlas Maior 1665 © Wikimedia Commons, PDM
Private User
2/19/2013 at 5:24 PM

I believe I may be linked to this project through Jan Dircksen Meyer
I am his direct descendant, Mike van Beuren (Michael M. van Beuren)
I'd like to participate in this project.
Please let me know the next step.

Private User

2/19/2013 at 8:05 PM

Welcome Mike! I sent you an invitation to collaborate on the project.

By coincidence? I've just a DNA trail in my own tree that makes it more likely Annetje Skillman is my 8th great grandmother. My Kentucky ancestors had no idea!

Private User
3/14/2013 at 4:55 PM

Some project-pages maybe interesting for American geni-users e/o descendants of NEW AMSTERDAM immigrants :
* http://www.geni.com/projects/index/6130
* http://www.geni.com/projects/index/8994
* http://www.geni.com/projects/index/6124

These pages are NOT ment for external exposure, but only to provide us an opportunity to exchange ideas's, search-results, translations-help or whatever is necessary to bridge that big Atlantic Ocean. We can use the discussion-threads of these pages to communicate in any language you need to share Q&A with other genealogists interested in these specific surnames. I started the pages in Dutch and not-so-grammar-nor-American-English-or-Brittish, but please look at it as some sort of a 'book-shelf' where you take or leave behind what you want to share.

Groeten van Jeannette, keeping her toes warm by wearing wooden shoes or cool by putting them in the embankments, like our famous icon Hansje BRINKER.

pooh....only for this message I needed a dictionary more than seven times!

Showing all 16 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion