Started by Private User on Saturday, June 4, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 26 posts
Private User
6/4/2011 at 12:05 PM

I've come across that people removed Pocahontas from the relationship with John Smith. It's still unproven.

Some sources say they were married. While Virginia and the Powhatan tribe says that is false. But, remember this is a shared tree and others have traced their ancestors to Pocahontas and John Smith, however they did it, they did it...and to them it's real even if it's not real for you.

My belief lies with the Powhatan tribe. I don't think they were romantically involved. However, I wouldn't tell someone they weren't the descendants if by tradition and oral genealogy and documents or whatever, has been passed down to them. Please do NOT remove the relationship. I've added them back as spouses with a curator note on top.

4/30/2012 at 2:10 PM

i thought they were married and had a son

4/30/2012 at 2:42 PM

Hi Paula

To quote from the Pocahantas profile:

"There is no suggestion in any of the historical records that Smith and Pocahontas were lovers. This romantic version of the story appears only in fictionalized versions of their relationship (such as the animated version by Walt Disney.)"

She was however married to John Rolfe and they had a son.

5/1/2012 at 11:00 AM

thanks, i always thought they were married. i am related to john smith and comstock

5/2/2012 at 3:44 AM

it would be nice if they were married, funny how people like to change history. remember all the different things in the history books that may not be true.

5/2/2012 at 8:57 AM

Pocahantas built bridges across cultures. She was just a child when she met John Smith and helped him with her family. As an adult she married John Rolfe, who took her to England: apparently she was very popular there. We are lucky to have had these history makers.

5/3/2012 at 12:07 PM

I spent about 3 years researching Powhatan and his family; and his schemes. I don't want to come out and say it, but I think he pushed his daughter onto the Englishmen. He had visions of being a mighty emperor. He was already a "super chief" over about 10 tribes, but wanted more power. He mad alliances with the British, so he could have weapons and allies against the tribes, mostly to his Northwest.

5/3/2012 at 1:05 PM

That certainly makes sense Kwame. If I remember correctly the Jamestown Massacre may have been kicked off by one of his grandchildren being killed and that was attributed to the English colonists.

5/3/2012 at 1:17 PM

yes, we are lucky for pocahotas

3/10/2015 at 12:12 AM

James Smith of Oyster River New Hampshire who married Sarah (Davis) IS I BELIEVE NOT THE SON OF JOHN SMITH OF JAMESTOWN VA........Not likely.....my Smith lived in New Hampshire and married a Davis

3/10/2015 at 12:17 AM

Mary Smith is the daughter of James and Sarah (Davis) Smith...Mary Smith married 1.Thomas Freeman & married 2. Hezekiah Doane......

3/10/2015 at 12:22 AM

Please correct this error on James Smith's line........I BELIEVE THE RIGHT FATHER AND MOTHER IS GEORGE SMITH AND TEMPERANCE.....I BELIEVE THIS TO BE THE RIGHT ONE'S.....FOUND ON ; WWW.ROOTSWEB.COM & Miner Descent on the web site...........

3/10/2015 at 12:23 AM

Please correct this error on James Smith's line........I BELIEVE THE RIGHT FATHER AND MOTHER IS GEORGE SMITH AND TEMPERANCE.....I BELIEVE THIS TO BE THE RIGHT ONE'S.....FOUND ON ; WWW.ROOTSWEB.COM & Miner Descent on the web site...........

3/10/2015 at 10:31 AM

Hi Richard

It looks like you started a line here Jane Davis

Could I trouble you to use "display name" on the "no name" profiles so I can keep any siblings together?

And can you confirm this is the fellow (likely related to me, and not John Smith, & not Pocohantas) you looking at?

James Smith, of Oyster River

In regards to the title of this discussion:

"Do not remove relationship"

I would like to.

Capt James Smith of Jamestown was "the Father of the New England Colonies" (according to him) but had no actual children.

http://historyisfun.org/pdf/Curriculum-Materials/LifeofJohnSmith.pdf

3/10/2015 at 1:58 PM

Hi Richard Brooks

I am very thankful you raised this discussion and agree with your genealogical findings.

I've done some cleanup and I believe this Smith line starts with George & Temperance, as you identified:

George Smith, of Dover Neck

Their profiles need filling in. Can you assist with that?

My thanks again for catching this spuriosity.

3/10/2015 at 3:23 PM

.....I sew on WWW.ROOTSWEB.COM that George Smith's father was Thomas Smith.....don't know were they found that so i'll just leave back to George Smith until proof comes up that Thomas Smith is George's father

3/10/2015 at 3:25 PM

thanks Erica

3/10/2015 at 3:36 PM

I see this

http://karetom.com/Smith.htm#GeorgeSmith1595
Born about 1595, Salisbury, Wiltshire, England
Died 1661, Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts
Parents Thomas Smith (26)

Ref 26 is to Rootsweb database
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=black...

Which refers to "other" Rootsweb databases ...

Let's get "real" citations from sources like NEHGR publications, GDMNH, The Great Migration Project, Pioneers of Massachusetts, Pioneers of New Hampshire, Savage ...

Anyway we're missing a lot of kids of George & I think they were the extra kids Capt John Smith didn't have.

Can someone compare the children attached here:

Unknown Profile

To the compilation above?

3/10/2015 at 3:47 PM

all sounds right to me Erica....great Inform; thanks

3/10/2015 at 3:52 PM

how in the world would any one even think that John Smith of the JAMESTOWN CO. Could be the father is ''beyond me''.......wish people would check there Inform/sources before adding it to Geni......IT JUST MESS'S EVERY ONES FAMILY TREES

3/10/2015 at 3:56 PM

Thanks aging for clearing up the Smith family mess Erica

3/10/2015 at 4:59 PM

My pleasure. I was just re reading about the Oyster River Massacre - John Miner did a nice job explaining it

http://minerdescent.com/2013/02/01/oyster-river-massacre-1694/

3/10/2015 at 10:40 PM

Well guess what Richard Brooks

Stackpole, the historian for Durham NH (well respected), doesn't much like George Smith, of Dover Neck as father of James Smith, of Oyster River - and thinks he was a Quaker

See https://archive.org/stream/historyoftownofd02stac#page/330/mode/2up

3/10/2015 at 10:45 PM

Private User you should take a look at this book too.

"there's not a shred of evidence ..."

3/11/2015 at 1:10 AM

Well, again. I dunno. I think DNA testing is suggesting Joseph matches his father George, and no descendant of James has tested yet.

See http://www.smithsworldwide.org/smtestcompareg.asp?grouping=GRP-R-M2... ftDNA Smith group R-M269

There's also uncertainty as to which George left the will that didn't name sons Joseph & James.

Everyone likes Rebecca as George's daughter. :)

8/16/2015 at 1:59 PM

THANKS EVERY ONE

Showing all 26 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion