Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-60 of 62 posts

Hi Denise bonta Tart-Vandermey

You've posted in a discussion about "The Mayflower - 1621"

I presume your ancestor is:

Capt. John Smith, of Jamestown

We don't actually have a Jamestown Colony Project, although we do have some Family projects for famous Jamestown settlers.

Would you like to join me in getting a Jamestown Colony, 1608 project going?

Hi, My name is Holly Weathers. I am new to this. I am trying to find out if I am a descendant of the Mayflower. This is what my Grandmother told us when we were little but then my parents divorced and I lost contact before I was old enough to want to ask questions. I thought about it a couple of times over the years but not seriously. Recently, one of my family members did a family tree on Geni and all these suggested projects came up. They were all about the Mayflower and being a descendant. I thought that was interesting. I love history. I would love to know if I am truly a descendant or if it was just my grandma talking. Her maiden name is Young. My Great Grandmas maiden name is Cornell, and she also said her family had something to do with Cornell University. I would love to share this history with my kids. I never did because I did not know if any of it was true. Now I would really like to know. The sites I have found all seem to want money to give me any information. Do you have any suggestions for me?

Holly Ann Weathers

I had no idea I was descended from Mayflower passengers!

How I found out was that I built out my family tree on Geni, from myself backwards in time, using census data (free from familysearch.org) mostly. Also Civil War records, Daughter's of the American Revolution records, land transfer records, etc. -- the standard stuff of genealogy.

Then with an ancestor around 1750, I joined "the Big Tree" and "hooked onto" existing Geni profiles.

From *those* family lines I was into Old New England (never knew this).

Once I was in Old New England settlers, it was just a matter of time -- and tracing marriage events -- before I found my Mayflower ancestors.

I'm still finding more as we "clean up" the tree! I'm now a much closer relative to, for instance, Thomas Rogers, "Mayflower" Passenger than I ever knew ( 8th great uncle's great grandfather currently ...)

Thank-you so much! I will check into that.

Please take me off your list of e-mails. I am not interested in your project.
Ralph Furness

Private User - go to this project's homepage and click UNFOLLOW on the upper right hand.

I don't want to be following this discussion. I tried to remove myself, but I keep getting e-mails. Any suggestions? thanks

All...there is a bug with Geni..they are working on fixing it. Our apologies that you have been caught up in this problem.

Unfollow the project from the project page (link at the top of this page).

You can unfollow this discussion with the link at the top of this page, but remember that once you comment on a discussion, you are automatically following it again.

You can also adjust your email notifications (account at the top of the page, then account settings) so that you are not receiving any emails regarding discussions until the powers that be at Geni get this issue corrected.

Holly -

It sounds like you and I are cousins. I too am a Cornell descendant, connected remotely to Cornell University.

Email me....

Janet

Please remove me frm this project

Gregory Geyer

You need to remove yourself - we can't do it for you. Press the green "unfollow" link at the top of the page.

Thank you for removing me!

Thank You so much ! I dont even know how I got on there !

Please Remove from discussion

Please remove me from this project

please remove from discussion

thank you

Shelley McGuire Nelson

Only you can remove yourself from notifications on project discussions, and it's very easy.

Go to the upper right hand corner.
Press the green "unfollow" button.

Thanks for removing me from the project

Unfollow please

I'm old, but not old enough to have come over on the Mayflower.

Erica
Very sensible to remove items that do not belong in the Mayflower
Passengers category.

Thanks for your continual attention to problems like this.

My family tree is certainly looking better since the curators have tackled
several difficulties.

Some still remain, but I will keep trying for improvement.

Ethel Johanna (Myers) Stanton

Linda

Funny. I fit the same description. Old.....but not a passenger on the
Mayflower

Dear Hattie

Your comments on 6/1/2011 are right on target for describing my feelings about the gifts of genealogy.

After many years, I still find it exciting and interesting to follow groups of people who banded together and created villages. They learned to govern themselves and build homes, churches, schools and meeting places.

They developed businesses and dealt with Indians. They raised families
in the wilderness. They tamed the wilderness and learned to raise crops
to feed themselves.

Genealogy records have preserved the great achievements of our ancestors. It is amazing how much information has survived and been
carefully recorded.

Thanks to all who keep working to clarify and improve these records.

I have ancestry from the group but what ever. My lines preceed landing in America prior to the mayflower in my other family relatives. Pretty petty especially when you dont know the family lines of the person you booted.

Walter...the project was designed for the PASSENGERS on the Mayflower, not for their descendants, so that someone interested in the Mayflower can see the profiles of the passengers, and not the 30million descendants of those passengers.

There are multiple projects for the families of the passengers that include all descendants and ancestors of the passengers.

Anyone (living) is more than welcome to join the project as a collaborator. The "historical" profiles are for the 21 passengers and their immediate families.

We also welcome "related new projects" for the descendants ... and we have an "Ancient Planters" series for our Jamestown Colony family ancestors.

Walter
Since some of your ancestors arrived before the Mayflower,
you might be able to create a discussion that includes the
information you have for them.

Please remove me also

Showing 31-60 of 62 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion