Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 5 posts
Private User
5/22/2011 at 5:10 PM

Dear collaboroators

Below is about all the information I have on Isabella's origins, via another cousin who created this website :

http://www.tunnels.com/ais-1/d0/i0001105.htm#i116

I'm wondering is there a way to link Isabella to the Cunningham project, details of her origins below:

First Generation

1. Robert1 Cunningham Dr was born in East Lothian, Scotland before 1770.

He married Susan Dixon in East Lothian, Scotland, before 1795. Susan was born in East Lothian, Scotland before 1770. More details need to be discovered about this person. 3 sons and 1 daughter. One son was a Doctor and died in India. Lived in Yester 2 miles South of Gifford, Haddington East Lothian. AS reported my MG East Lothian farmer. This might have been he area wher ehe farmed. Reminiscences of the Couty of Haddington 941.45 h2 mj Sir Isaac Newton of Newton Hall. Sir Walter Scott in Marmion "Goblin Hall". Numerous Cunninghams in the district No Cunninghams were freeholders in district. 1804 941.45 H2 pd East Lothian Studies 1745 Battle of Prestopans. Two of the Edinburgh Volunteers, Lord Gardenstone and Mr Cunningham captured at the George having an ale. They were sent to watch for the Highlanders. 1679 Thomas Cunningham 1697 Mr Cunnigham Minister 24 October #304 941.45/H1 u2m Reminisences of the Old Borough of Haddington High Street Cunningham Stores. Haddington. 1831 John Cunningham Architect 1831 1804 Captain Cunnigham Provost of Haddington Gawin Cunningham Clynking Miln. Jury Bogangreen Coldingham 941.455/c1 H2c 1710 John 1751 Lt Col J. 1752 A North Berwick Studies 941.45/n7 H2f Doctor Fian Cunningham Schoolmaster. 1590 WILLS 1764 William Cunningham October 381 Parts. 1768 William Cunningham June 233 Southern Suggested research: Marriage records. Sasine records

Robert Cunningham Dr and Susan Dixon had the following child:

2 i. Isabella2 Cunningham was born in Yester, Haddington, Scotland April 20, 1795. Isabella died March 30, 1888 in "roslyn", Frederickton, New South Wales, Australia, at 92 years of age. Her body was interred March 30, 1888 in Frederickton Cmt, Frederickton, New South Wales, Australia. She married William Johnston in Scotland, June 10, 1815. William was born in Middlestots, West Newton, Berwickshire, Scotland before November 29, 1776. William was the son of Patrick Johnston and Margaret Johnston. William died August 29, 1854 in Dingo Creek, Manning River, New South Wales, Australia, at 77 years of age. His body was interred August 29, 1854 in Sunnyside, Manning River, New South Wales, Australia. (See William Johnston for the continuation of this line.)

She was christened in Yester, Haddington, Scotland, April 20, 1795. Family notes that her father was a Dr Cunningham and that her brother also a Doctor, died in India. Her exact burial place in Fredericton Cemetery is unknown. Born in Yester 2 miles south of Gifford, Haddington, East Lothian Scotland

Regards, Jan

5/22/2011 at 8:53 PM

Janis

That would be a hoot wouldn't it, if we can make a connection.

Now "my" Cunninghams are from Ayrshire http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayrshire and East Lothian is not particularly close to it, so I believe we'd have to look further back in time. Make sure you get all the siblings and spouses listed out: families tended to move around together.

Also, just for fun and to give you clues and directions, this is an ancestor I consider a "key connector"

Robert Boyd, 1st Lord Boyd of Kilmarnock

See if there's any sort of a connection between you and him currently -- or between the oldest ancestor you have in Geni and Lord Boyd.

Private User
5/23/2011 at 8:07 AM

Hi Erica

Thanks for your response. I checked my connection to (my great uncle) Robert Boyd and his sister, Margaret Boyd, Baroness, comes up as my 21st great grandmother.

Are you saying this person is common ancestor to a lot of people on Geni? This line comes down through some of my more recent MacDonald ancestors, most recent being my 3 x great grandmother, Harriet MacDonald.

A while back I tracked what appeared to be my "oldest ancestor" on Geni who sounded like some kind of Roman from BC days (going by the name unless it was a Romanised version) LOL - he was probably one of the lines back from Charlemagne but I did not make a note.

I read in the discussions that these threads are tenuous at best and that it was usual at the time to trump up illustrious ancestors. I was amazed though because I had not expected to find something like that here.

Cheers, Jan

Private User
5/23/2011 at 8:13 AM

PS Of course it would help if I was familiar with the geography. Getting my head around places of origin in Scotland is challenging for an Australian currently living in Tasmania who has never been there.

I seem to have ancestors from all over Scotland (Hebrides, Midlothian, Ayr, Perthshire come immediately to mind). I'm working on building up my knowledge and hope to visit these places at some point.

Private User
5/23/2011 at 9:32 AM
Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion