suggestion for documentation....

Started by Private User on Wednesday, May 18, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• By Leonard Darwin - Woodall 1884, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=16959735
    Geni member

Related Projects:

Showing all 8 posts
Private User
5/18/2011 at 11:34 PM

EN: In some profiles of very important people, like here DARWIN - die ik erg bewonder en dus graag in het Nederlands wil lezen -, i mean important for MANKIND, I see under about 'explanations' in English. BUT english is not the only world-wide spoken language and there are millions of people brought up with other native root-spoken parents who told them about the origin of species.......
For this reason I suggest in profiles like these to add only as much as possible URL's to good documented information on the internet in as much as possible languages and there are enough geni-users who can warn curatores when the chozen choice is political or too religious. And if so, that helps to discuss the contribution of DARWIN to our ideas how the love of spirit 'created' earth and life.
This is a contribution to discussion on geni by an Biologist, who studied also rural, agricultural & medical aspects of her science and who is very interested in the way religion interpheres with our daily way of thinking about each other. groetunu, jMu.

en nu wat GOOGLE-vertalingen die ik zelf ook niet kan controleren:
RUSSISCH: В некоторых профилей из очень важных людей, как здесь Дарвин - умереть К. эрг bewonder EN DUS graag в Het Nederlands Wil lezen - я имею в виду важные для человечества, я вижу в о "объяснений" на английском языке. Но английский не только всему миру разговорного языка и Есть миллионы людей, воспитанных с другими родной корневой говорили родители, которые рассказали им о происхождении видов .......
По этой причине я предлагаю в профилях, как эти только добавить как можно больше URL на хорошее документированной информации в Интернете на как можно больше языков и Есть достаточно Geni-пользователей, которые могут предупредить curatores когда chozen выбор политических или слишком религиозным . И если да, то, что помогает, чтобы обсудить вклад Дарвина в наши идеи, как любовь "создана" дух земли и жизни.
Это вклад в обсуждение Geni по биолог, изучавший также сельских, сельскохозяйственных и медицинских аспектов ее науки и которые очень заинтересованы в том, как религия interpheres с нашей повседневной мышления друг о друге. groetunu, JMU.

JAPANS:
非常に重要な人々のいくつかのプロファイルには、ここのようなのダーウィン-ダイ益をコメント付き概要ウィルlezenでgraag川下アンbewonderをエルグ-、私は人類にとって重要な意味、私は英語で約'の説明の下を参照してください。英語だけが唯一の世界的な音声言語ではない種の起源については彼らに言われた他のネイティブルート音声の親に育てられる数百万の人々がある.......
このような理由から私は可能な限りのURLは可能な限り言語ほどにインターネット上で良好な記録情報のAS chozenの選択は、あまりにも宗教的政治的なものであるときcuratoresを警告することができますGeniのユーザーは十分にある多くを追加するにはこのようなプロファイルの示唆。そうだとすれば、それは我々のアイデアをダーウィンの貢献を議論するためどのように役立つか精神'を作成'地球と生命の愛。
これはまた彼女の科学の農村、農業&医学的側面を学び、非常にお互いのことを考えて我々の日常の方法との双方向の宗教interpheresに興味を持っている生物学者でGeniの上での議論に貢献をしています。 groetunu、jMu。

Armeens:

Որոշ պրոֆիլները շատ կարեւոր է մարդկանց, ինչպես այստեղ Դարվին - մահանալ ik երգը bewonder en dus graag է het Nederlands wil lezen -, նկատի ունեմ կարեւոր է մարդկության համար, ես տեսնում տակ մասին «բացատրություններ» անգլերեն լեզվով. ԱՅԼ անգլերենի ոչ միայն աշխարհում լայն տարածում գտած լեզվի եւ կան միլիոնավոր մարդիկ մեծացել են այլ հայրենի արմատ ասված ծնողների համար, ովքեր նրանց ասել մասին ծագման տեսակների .......
Համար: Այդ իսկ պատճառով ես առաջարկում եմ մեջ պրոֆիլների այսպիսի են ավելացնել միայն այնքան, որքան հնարավոր է URL-ի լավ փաստագրված մասին տեղեկությունները ինտերնետի այնքան, որքան հնարավոր է լեզուներին եւ կան բավարար geni-օգտվողներին, ովքեր կարող են նախազգուշացնել curatores երբ chozen ընտրությունը քաղաքական է, կամ էլ կրոնական . Եւ եթե այո, որ օգնում է քննարկելու ներդրումը Դարվին մեր գաղափարները, թե ինչպես է սերը ոգին 'ստեղծված' երկրի վրա եւ կյանքը.
Սա ներդրում է Զրույց geni կողմից կենսաբան, ովքեր ուսումնասիրել են նաեւ գյուղական վայրերում, գյուղատնտեսական եւ բժշկական ասպեկտները իր գիտության եւ ով է շատ հետաքրքրված ձեւով կրոնի interpheres հետ մեր ամենօրյա մտածելակերպն իրար մասին. groetunu, jMu.

5/19/2011 at 4:34 AM

Jeannette, You are absolutely right, we do live in a multicultural global society and the trend now is to offer multi language access to all information content.

This is often accomplished by incorporating a Google Translation option box in the format of the design. ie.

1. http://www.merlot.org/merlot/viewMaterial.htm?id=82773

At the bottom of this page, on the left side alongside "English" is a drop down menu
offering Google translation of the page in -:

English
Arabic
Bulgarian
Chinese-Simplified
Croatian
Czech
Danish
Dutch
Filipino
Finnish
French
German
Greek
Hebrew
Hindi
Indonesian
Italian
Japanese
Korean
Latvian
Lithuanian
Norwegian
Polish
Portuguese
Romanian
Russian
Serbian
Slovak
Slovenian
Spanish
Swedish
Ukrainian
Vietnamese

5/19/2011 at 6:17 AM

Private User

If you want to use Google, Bing, Prompt, Babelfish, WorldLingvo etc on-line translation system then you shall always know that the result is "draft" or "raw" and shall be always verified/overlooked by persons speaking this language (the result can be totally wrong as sometimes the context was not understood or not used by "translation engines").

If you are not knowing well this (other) language I recommend to leave it to English (or to "mother tongue") alone.

Lauri

5/19/2011 at 8:14 AM

Lauri Kreen However, the idea of presenting a translation link medium on each famous profile would atleast

1. Give a quick easy translation option, even if it is not perfect, one can get the gist of the message.

2. Indicate that we at Geni are sensitive to the fact that the audience is now a global multicultural world thanks to the Internet.

3. Because, if Jeannett -JMu- feels this way, there must be many others that do too.

Plus it does seem that Google or the other excellent translation options you provided, are being incorporated by global websites, and I think Google for instance allows for you to improve the translation, so the more it is used, the better the translations will get.

By the way, are any of the translation sites you mentioned preferred by you?

Private User
5/19/2011 at 8:38 AM

Unless it is a text you have written yourself you should respect the source and just post a summary (for Wikipedia usually the first paragraph) and link to the original for the rest. If that page offer multiple translations you can link to some of them as well.

I updated the About Me of Charles Darwin following this suggestion.

5/19/2011 at 9:01 AM

Malka Mysels I received a FB message in another language, used the auto detect on four different sites (Google, Bing, Babelfish and another I can't remember), got two different language options, and when I used both languages on all four sites got four different translations. If you can recommend one, I for one would appreciate it, since I still am not sure what the message I received really says!

Perhaps the powers to be at Geni (or at least curators), can say "use this one" so that all of us use the same program and it does indeed improve the longer you use it.

I agree with Bjorn as well, though...provide a link to the info in other languages when available.

5/19/2011 at 9:09 AM

Bjorn that sounds like an elegant solution. In fact, I think some of the profiles are already adding alternative language Wikipedia links to profiles.

As JMu and Anita point out, this is an area that is in need of attention. So, any suggestions would be helpful, and especially regarding which translation site is most accurate.

Language difficulties can arise from the simplest words as Jeannette pointed out to me previously, ie. Legendary Heroines, can seem like Legendary Heroin users to some foreign members.

Private User
5/19/2011 at 9:26 AM

I was more focused on not breaking Copyright rules, - filling the About Me with a copy of someone else's text is not allowed, and it is also a section about that in the Geni Terms you find a link to at the bottom of each page.

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion