Formatting your project statement

Started by Private User on Sunday, May 15, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 1-30 of 31 posts
Private User
5/15/2011 at 9:43 PM

Carole, you've done a great job of working up your project statement. Do you mind if I format it for you? I've gotten pretty handy with the Wiki mark-up tools.

5/15/2011 at 10:00 PM

MEZ - I did that and yes, I was trying to figure the formatting out - tried cut and paste to no avail... as always thanks for noticing.

5/15/2011 at 10:10 PM

Did you want the big trick? As I mentioned, it took me ages, and now I'm good.

The secret is you can't have spaces at the beginning of a paragraph or the formatting falls apart.

As long as it's absolutely flush left, plain typing will look good. Then you can make bold and italic as needed. So where it turned into Courier instead of the nice Helvetica? Even though you can't see the space, it must be there. If you go into "edit" you'll see it.

The asterik * sign is needed before hyperlinks. What I do for safety in this dang annoying "but I DID it flush left grrrr" thing is put in the full URL first. Then highlight and use the bullet icon.

Here's the Help Link for Wikitext formatting:

http://www.geni.com/help/wikitext

Headings:
= Level 1 =
== Level 2 == and so on (up to level 6)

Unordered / bullet lists:
lines starting with *

Ordered / numbered lists:
lines starting with #

Links:
[http://example.com/ link text]

Private User
5/15/2011 at 10:21 PM

Well, Jaqueli, then the kudos go to you! Do you want to format? Erica has just listed the basics for you.

5/15/2011 at 10:31 PM

Right now I am going to have to quit for a while - I can do it tommorrow with your guys guidance - thanks. My joint pain is getting too uncomfortable to do any more tonight.

I would appreciate that, it starts out fine until I add the links.

I have several other project pages that have the same problem, let me know how I need to format the links so they don't scroll completely across the screen. The formating tool which says it is for links does not seem to help, it could be I was using it wrong.

Private User
5/16/2011 at 1:29 AM

Have anyone reported this to Geni?

Jacqueli was the one who entered all the information, and it was displaying from the top of the page until I entered the links.

Here is an example of how I've tried using the formating, what else do I need to do?

[http://books.google.com/books?id=3F9nG8aFJ7MC&pg=PA204&lpg=...]

Private User
5/16/2011 at 1:34 AM

The error is probably caused by the extreme long links where you have not used wikitext links with a link text ([http://example.com/ link text])

I will try to fix it.

I haven't reported anything but I did notice that they did something different for the profile pages a couple weeks ago, the links no longer scroll all the way across and seem to be blocked.

My example looks pretty good on the discussion page too bad it does not look the same way on the Project page.

Private User
5/16/2011 at 1:41 AM

Looking better?

In general we should NOT copy text direct from other pages without refering to the sources. A summary and a read more link is better, like for example the start of the description.

Thank you Bjorn

I know what I have been leaving out now, I had not been putting the forward slash and the title of the book.

I will need to fix my other project pages now.

5/16/2011 at 9:49 AM

Private User

Thank you! :)

5/16/2011 at 10:34 AM

What a bunch of night owls you all are!!!

My trick...until I got it figured out: find a profile or project that has what you want it to look like, then edit it to see what the other person did. I had a hard time with doing it myself until I started looking at other people's stuff.

Also, if you are formatting multiple items on one piece of text (indented paragraph and italics), make sure you re-highlight before you apply the second format or it won't work correctly.

5/16/2011 at 10:39 AM

I just posted on the Leigh project the ONLY reference that should be used for any of the profiles on the lineage "Burke's Peerage"

Private User I am getting my set out to look up your elusive ancestor

This is an elite reference but I posted on the discussion an online source also

5/16/2011 at 10:42 AM

Private User which I dread because it weights only about 100 pounds!!!

5/16/2011 at 10:57 AM

Private User I may have found a big problem of the why's behind the mess and disconnect. Remember when my GEDCOM profiles were up for grabs and Margaret S. Verner grabbed a lot of my profiles? Well it looks like she took over management of my de Leigh and Leigh lineage profiles when that mess occurred.

5/16/2011 at 11:00 AM

Agnes Hulton
compare
Agnes Leigh

It looks as if she took the info from my profiles and made duplicates then disconnected my line.

Private User
5/16/2011 at 11:06 AM

Two totally different Agnes. Parents and husband does not match

5/16/2011 at 11:08 AM

Look further up the tree - the profiles management and when added show the proof - also, disconnects begin here also. I sent her a collaboration request - hopefully she will respond - and an invitation to the project.

5/16/2011 at 11:10 AM

and the revision history on the other Agnes shows why also.

Private User
5/16/2011 at 11:20 AM

Jacqueli, not sure "grabbed" is the right word. "Took over' after it was abandoned, so we could finally get profiles merged. I had been working on the Leigh tree last year as had others. I was trying to repair a lot of damage done by bad merges, but then got sucked into other areas and didn't return. I would have been happy to collaborate earlier, when you returned to geni, so you could finally get it right. I had downloaded an entires book on the Leighs that seemed very well researched. Glad to pass it on.

5/16/2011 at 11:31 AM

Private User Thank you!

The best and only resource tool for this line should be Burke's Peerage, just as a FYI

5/16/2011 at 2:46 PM

Private User Maria, Erica - can I please be added as a manager for this profile Sir William Venables, of Bradwall the member hasn't had much activity in the past few years and the profile for his William de Venables needs to be merged.

5/16/2011 at 3:04 PM

Hi Jacqueli

I am not a manager of that profile - but I have added it to this project. As a Project Collaborator, you will have "mini curator" rights to edit it.

I am the curator of his father's profile; he currently shows in geni as my 20th great grandfather. I have added that profile to this project as well.

Sir William de Venables, Baron of Kinderton

Just continue to post links and I will add those profiles to the Project.

Just so you also know -- I don't personally manage a lot of profiles, so don't have the ability to "add manager."

From collaborating, I can work with ancestors in "that" way. And from curating, I can add any public profile to a project. Probably a better use of my time to do that? Also, writing "curator notes" to help clarify relationships and future merges.

By the way, "curator notes" are limited to only a few lines so I do try and make them as succinct as possible.

And also helping with formatting!

5/16/2011 at 3:09 PM

Thank you Erica - the tree is in a bigger mess than the Lee tree - BTW - that is another connection for us on the tree as cousins.

5/16/2011 at 3:15 PM

Hatte Blejer (absent until Nov 1) I am preparing a report showing the Leigh, de Leigh through the Lee's of Virginia - it has too many pages to post all of them here - I am also doing it for my direct descent - that way I can go up my family tree and see the errors more clearly - also, we can go up the Lee tree and do the same :)

It is very confusing just trying to pin point one specific messy profile when there has been so many erroneous additions on this line. I know none of this has been done purposeful - it just that the lineage gets soooo confusing without the proper references.

5/16/2011 at 5:28 PM

I am also also a direct descendant of the Leigh family so look forward to seeing it. Thanks.

5/16/2011 at 9:53 PM

Jacqueli

You wrote:

===
it's just that the lineage gets soooo confusing without the proper references.
===

YES! And that's the purpose of the Master Profile program - phase 2.

Phase 1 was merging duplicates together to get one "good enough" profile to use as a general guide, instead of all the dup's. That phase is moving along nicely ... actually, compared to a year ago, it's pretty awesome ... but of course that's left a lot of legacy "issues" and not much documentation.

So I'm really excited to see community moving solidly into Phase 2: documenting out the Master Profiles.

It's painstaking and detailed work; particularly when in areas of the tree where there are conflicting statements; records lost to time or frankly never much documented to begin with; and names that are common enough and therefore easily confabulated.

I am lucky that my last name is a misspelling (we think .. not really sure). On other lines, not so lucky. Try tracking down a "Hill." :)

Showing 1-30 of 31 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion