Ancestry.com -- חבל''ז מצוין!!

Started by Mark Harry Schwartz on Tuesday, May 10, 2011
Problem with this page?

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 10 posts
5/10/2011 at 2:57 AM

Mark Harry Schwartz

It works very well for me because most of my family emigrated to the US from the Ukraine, Belarus and Germany. You have census, birth and death, orphanage, US Military enlistment, citizenship naturalization, immigration and ship manifest records.

I have expanded my tree this last 1.5 years with great help from the above website. You can use it for free but can't few view original documents or make .jpg for great doc uploading.

Basically you can read about what is offered and subscriptions:
http://www.ancestry.com/subscribe/signup.aspx

If anyone would like to meet at a cafe with internet access in the Tel Aviv area, I would be happy to show you how fantastic it is. It also links into Jewishgen.org which is great.

I can be reached at 052-3032048 or schwartz972@gmail.com

בהצלחה!
מארק

5/10/2011 at 7:50 AM

I checked it out but it seemed that the free services were much less than what Geni offers.

5/10/2011 at 9:38 AM

JewishGen is more effective for some east European countries

5/10/2011 at 12:18 PM

Mark Harry Schwartz
Ariel, Ancestry.com gives you the records I mentioned about. Geni does not. I am not sure what you are talking about. Geni is a software which helps you build your tree and suggests merges. Geni does have a family tree builder, but nothing like geni and of course I don't use it.

I repeat, ancestry.com give you access to US census, birth and death, orphanage, US Military enlistment, citizenship naturalization, immigration to the States and ship manifest records. There is also access to records in other parts of the world.

I am lucky with it basically because most of my family which did not die in the Shoa emigrated to the USA, and they appear in the 1910, 1920, 1930 censuses and I can see their citizenship naturalization certificates. Some were unfortunate and had their stays in the Jewish Orphanages -- the records are there. The social security (בטוח לאומי אמריקאי) death records can help you with birth and death dates.

I repeat, if you want to research relatives who emigrated to the States, I believe ancestry.com , especially the paid for version, is essential and has helped me greatly. Just a tip.

5/10/2011 at 12:22 PM

Mark Harry Schwartz
Correction to the last sentence in the first paragraph:
Ancestry does have a family tree builder, but nothing like geni and of course I don't use it.

5/11/2011 at 8:23 AM

Mark, Thanks for the clarification, I seem to have misunderstood you.

5/11/2011 at 10:31 AM

You are welcome, Ariel. If you are in the Gush Dan region and you would like to meet up sometime and I could demonstrate my paid version of ancestry.com , and help you get some records of family members who emigrated to the States, I would be happy to do so. Because of privacy, the US census records only go to 1930. The 1940 census will be released soon.

Mark,
I'm curious why you start each comment with a tag of your own profile? I've seen others do this as well.

5/12/2011 at 7:18 AM

Hi Shmuel-Aharon,
I am new to geni discussions and the directions say:
Use the @ symbol and start typing the name of a profile on Geni to tag it in your post. This discussion thread will be added to your discussions tab.
So I did it. I'll stop because I don't need to refer to anyone specific in my tree in the discussion...yet:)
And early שבת שלום everyone!
Mark

Mark,
looking at it now, I can understand how that "instruction" could be understood that way. I'll raise the issue with Geni.

That is a general comment explaining two things:
1) IF you want to mention a specific profile in your comment, then you "tag" it using the @ sign. So if I wanted to discuss my all time favorite profile, Adam of Eden I would tag him. This would add a link to his profile, and add him to the Profiles Mentioned list on the top right.

2) ANY public discussion that you start will be added to your discussions tab. Strangely enough, I am NOT seeing my list properly.

Shabbat Shalom

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion