Started by Marvin Caulk, (C) on Tuesday, May 3, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 6 posts
5/3/2011 at 11:41 AM

Davy Crockett

I was watching the Discover channel this morning (How the States got their Shapes) and found that he was born in the Free Republic of Franklin (only lasted 4 years)

so I was thinking that the place of birth should read

"In The Free Republic of Franklin, near Nolichucky River in what is now, Limestone, Greene, Tennessee, United States"

That would make it more Historicly correct. I didi not change it.

Comments?

12/1/2011 at 8:14 AM

Yes,

And so to for some of my Ancestors.

Born or moved to counties that were broken up.

Buncombe Co. split up to form several other Counties.

Clay Co, Missouri, split up to form several other counties including, Daviess County.

Wikipedia has some great info if you kinda sort it out.

Another Thing is How do you enter Colonies ????
Virginia Colony, England ???? Then a Date ???

12/1/2011 at 1:16 PM

The "correct way" , if you have enough information, would to list it as if he were alive to day and put qualifiers after it.
In the form it would look like (Under edit location)

Place name:
State: MO
City:Gallatin
County: Daviess (Formerly Ray)

In the case of a territory, the territory is the "State"

State: OK (Fornerly Indian Teritory)

If you get up in Maryland name, you may end up with USA (Formerly Canada)

during the 1600's you may end up with

Something Like

Place name:
State: NY
City: New York (Formerly New Amsterdam)
County: (Unknown)

Ithe Idea is to list a place that people can find today, but also show what is was called at the time of the persons life.

Really there are a lot of ways depending on the place and time. Just trying to be accurate is the whole point here. Some profiles may have lived in several countries in thier lifetime but was born, lived and died in the same house, it just the country that changed. It can get tricky.

12/1/2011 at 4:24 PM

I don't agree, Marvin. For me, the "correct" way is to list it as it was at the time, and then to note what it is today. So I would flip yours around and put --for example, Indian Territory (now Oklahoma).

Just for the record, I think what you have noted is fine, since it provides all the information-- except that I take issue with your calling it the "correct" way ;^).

And yes, I will change Davy's to State of Franklin. Good catch!

12/1/2011 at 4:34 PM

Sounds like some needs to start a Project on the State of Franklin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Franklin

Marvin, want to catch that ball? ;^)

12/2/2011 at 9:55 AM

As you must know I said "correct" because there is no "correct" way. The way I said to do it is because if you type in what it's called today, it will auto fill, then you can add the rest. This is a big "whatever"

As for a State of Franklin project, I'm neck deep in other projects right now, you go a head with it Pam.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion