Started by Brian Dechaux Teichgraber on Wednesday, April 27, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 19 posts
4/27/2011 at 9:05 PM

how accurate is the geni line
on one line will is my 21 cousin 5 times removed through his father on another he is my 20th cousin by his mother

Private User
4/27/2011 at 9:22 PM

Very accurate with lots of errors! ;-)

It is very possible to multiple paths to an individual.

Also, for a profile such as Prince William who is very much in the public eye right now, a lot of work/clean-up will be happening.

As time passes, relationship are getting clearer and closer. I have several 'Curator Cousins' who have gone from 22nd 3x removed to 14th 2x and recently 12th 1x. And, periodically, as 'someone' works 'somewhere' in 'The Big Tree', the path is severed entirely for a while!

Clear as mud!

4/28/2011 at 1:50 AM

Brian - after profile merges you can see sometimes a "recycle ring" sign near the connection line
This means that maybe a new path is available

Private User
4/28/2011 at 1:57 AM

I am not sure that the "recycle ring" means that a new path is available. I think that it means that a certain amount of time has passed (I am not sure how long) since the path was calculated, so there MAY be a new path available. The new path is not necessarily any different from the old path.

It can be annoying when after a merge the "recycle ring" is not there, and the path therefore cannot be re-calculated. Then you just have to be patient to recalculate the connection when the "recycle ring" reappears.

Private User
4/28/2011 at 2:17 AM

Calculated paths between two profiles is cached on the Geni server for a while and when the path is getting old you get a re-load symbol which enable you to recalculate the path.

Private User
4/28/2011 at 2:28 AM

Bjørn - I think what you said is the same as what I thought. Question is: what is the definition of "for a while" and "getting old"? A few weeks?

4/28/2011 at 2:47 AM

So it was just coincidental that "re-load" appeared after having a new merge?

4/28/2011 at 7:17 AM

I thought what you thought Yaacov but I have repaired damage to my family lines as recently as last night and still get the cached relationship calculation with no possibility of recalculating until the recycle symbol appears, which takes days or longer. Or shorter. I assume it's dependent upon Geni operations.

4/28/2011 at 7:21 AM

Hatte Anne Blejer (Rubenstein) - that's an issue!!!
maybe we need a permanent "re-calculate" button?
so we can recalculate when we think a change has been made.

Private User
4/28/2011 at 7:25 AM

My experience matches Hatte's.

Yaacov: you could try a feature request - though I suspect this one may have already been requested, given the number of times that relationship calculation issues are raised in public discussions. This discussion thread is one of many that have started on similar lines.

4/28/2011 at 7:27 AM

Yaacov - I used to be impatient and annoyed by the caching, but the more I work with the Geni trees and see how much data is involved and how often some of it changes, the more I realize that for a small company they are doing a good job maintaining, updating, and providing user friendly, fast analytical tools on complex and evolving data.

4/28/2011 at 7:46 AM

I don't want to be rude, but data mining tools similar to the ones I know, could gives us much more...

4/28/2011 at 9:24 AM

I'm very familiar with data mining myself. What were you thinking of?

4/28/2011 at 9:47 AM

with the tools I work with, I can select any cross data that I wish...
for example - I can easily get a list of any profile that was born in Lithuania and his father was Isaac and I'm not the manager of his profile...
But it's not commercial tools so I cannot share details about it.

4/29/2011 at 8:37 AM

So will I need to go outside of geni , hire a pro genealogist to insure this new info is accurate? Or send my linage to clearinghouse in the UK for review and confirmation ( wonder if they get that all the time) ?

4/29/2011 at 9:28 AM

Brian - you are not asking about geni lines. you are asking about the data itself.
given the assumption that the data is correct - geni lines are the shortest path between two people *ON GENI*
If you think the data itself incorrect- there are curators and many reliable users that can improve the data.

4/29/2011 at 1:45 PM

Geni is till a work in progress. As more facts come in (as different branches have different pieces of a puzzle) the more clear the connections get. Geni will also only show the closest relationship, I know for example, a de Vere is my 18th, 19th, and 20th grandfather through different lines but only the line saying 18th will show up on a relationship path. geni is good for putting it all together but official is only in each piece of proof for each person. ie. copies of birth/death certificates.

4/29/2011 at 9:25 PM

===
geni is good for putting it all together but official is only in each piece of proof for each person. ie. copies of birth/death certificates.
===

Excellent clarifying distinctions, Corey.

- One's direct lineage for instance for membership in a lineage society is one's own responsibility.

- As a research tool for that lineage (among many other uses!) geni is fast moving and improving daily.

===
re: it's not commercial data mining tools ...
===

I presume that's one reason Yaacov is a member of the Project: http://www.geni.com/projects/The-Geni-API

8/14/2019 at 2:54 PM

Diana is my 17th cousin thrice removed. William is my 18th cousin second removed. I have no idea what this does mean 😅

Showing all 19 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion