Gilbert Orkney II de orkney, of Angus (Magnusson)

Started by Marvin Caulk, (C) on Monday, March 28, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 3 posts
3/28/2011 at 7:29 AM

Gilbert Ogilvie, II

Could use some help on this the first ref I ran across said that he my be a clerical error and there was only I
one Gilbert Orkney of Angus. Anyone have a ref?

Private User
3/28/2011 at 2:30 PM

Dear Marvin,

As you are aware, I share the management of this profile with you and eleven others. I cannot remember what name I used when I created my own version of this profile but (since I would usually try to avoid mixing Gaelic and English) it was probably Earl Gilbert of Orkney, or Gilbert, Earl of Orkney. On reflection, for the avoidance of confusion, it might have been better if I had styled him as Earl Gilbride of Orkney, or as Gilbride, Earl of Orkney.

In the introduction to his translation of the Orkneyinga Saga, pp. xlvi-xlvii [first published by Edmonston and Douglas in 1873 and reprinted by Mercat Press, James Thin, Edinburgh, in 1990], Joseph Anderson makes the following statements about the Angus line of Orkney Earls:
‘On the failure of the Norse Earls by the death of Earl John in 1231, King Alexander II, of Scotland, in 1232, granted the earldom of North Caithness to Magnus, the second son of Gilbride, Earl of Angus…..Magnus seems to have been confirmed in the earldom of Orkney by the King of Norway…..The Iceland Annals…..record the death of Magnus, Earl of Orkney, in 1239.’

He continues: ‘In the Diploma of Bishop Thomas Tulloch, drawn up circa 1443, it is stated that this Magnus was succeeded by Earl Gilbride, to whom succeeded Gilbride his son, who held both the earldoms of Orkney and Caithness in Scotland. The Annals only notice one Gilbride, whom they call “Gibbon, Earl of Orkney”. His death is placed in 1256.’
Following from this Anderson produced a drop-line pedigree which suggests that Magnus (died 1239) was succeeded by a brother named Gilbride, who was, in turn, succeeded by a son named Gilbride (died 1256).

I hope that this information is of help.

Kind Regards,

Neil

3/29/2011 at 11:20 AM

Private User

Thanks Neil. I have asked a new Curator to look into this.
She knows at lot more about Scotland than I do.
Every bit of info is usefull.

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion