Early Families of Roxbury, Massachusetts

Started by Hatte Anne Blejer on Sunday, March 13, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 20 posts
3/13/2011 at 4:36 PM

I start a project to document the early families of Roxbury, MA. They include Thomas Dudley, Governor of Massachusetts Bay Colony, Captain John Johnson Captain Isaac Johnson Humphrey Johnson as well as the Ruggles family and Riggs family.

Private User has a related project on the Riggs Family and I have one on the Captain John Johnson family.

I invite anyone who a descendant or researcher of these families to contribute to the project. Email me on Geni if you want to be added as a collaborator. We need help identifying the families, cleaning up the family trees, completing the About Me sections of their profiles, and writing a lively, concise description of the early days of Roxbury and of the early settlers.

http://www.geni.com/projects/Early-Families-of-Roxbury-Massachusetts

3/13/2011 at 4:41 PM
10/1/2016 at 5:36 PM

I found an Onesiphorous Stanley in Capt johnsons troops and believe he may be the father or grandfather of an Onesiphorous Standly in Penn's neck Salem county nj circa 1690. . Does any one have any data on him?

10/5/2016 at 4:52 PM

I do not, but I'll try to carve out some time to look for him in various old New England sources.

Private User Erica Howton -- any additional suggestions?

10/6/2016 at 7:50 PM

Sorry its pretty skimpy . If he is related to my onesiphorous he died aug 7 1697 had son oney born circa 1690 in penns neck salem County nj. From there the family is pretty clear my oney rriarried a dorothea sinnickersson. Big name in early y nj.

10/6/2016 at 8:02 PM

I found the oney in Roxbury in the book soldiers. Of King Phillips wars

10/6/2016 at 8:05 PM

By George bodge

10/6/2016 at 8:08 PM

Yes, good reference. I find it details here:

https://books.google.com/books?id=-elHAQAAMAAJ&lpg=PA17&ots...

Records Relating to the Early History of Boston ... By Boston (Mass.). Registry Dept. Page 17

On July 6, 1675, a body of fifty-two praying Indians, Eliot's converts, marched from Boston for Mount Hope under the “intrepid.” Capt. Isaac Johnson, of Roxbury, who afterwards certified that the most of them acquitted themselves courageously and faithfully. He, with five other captains, was killed while storming the Narraganset stronghold when that fierce tribe was destroyed at the famous Fort Fight, Dec. 19, 1675. The roll of his company, which also embraces men from the adjacent towns, includes these of Roxbury : —
HENRY BOWEN. THOM. CHENEY.
ISAAC MORRICE ABIEL LAMB.
THO. BAKER. SAMUEL GARDINER.
JOHN WATSON. JOHN SCOT.
ONESIPHOROUS STANLEY. NATHL'L WILSON.
JOHN CORBIN. JOHN NEWELL.
WILLIAM LINCOLNE. W.M. DANFORTH.
JOSEPH GOAD. JOHN HUBBARD.

10/6/2016 at 8:11 PM

Are there Other dups on him on geni?

Onesiphorus "Oney" Standley

10/7/2016 at 7:58 AM

This looks like the emigrant

Onesiphorus Standley, of Woole

10/7/2016 at 8:00 AM

Don't know of any duos my oney is Standley-347 on wiki tree

10/7/2016 at 8:36 AM

I check my oney of 1690 but cannot get it to merge into the other line?

10/7/2016 at 11:29 AM

I did some curator magic & got them merged for you.

10/7/2016 at 7:29 PM

You might check the online history of Fenwick's Colony for this family. I have added them to the project that relates to the early families of Salem and Cumberland counties, Southern New Jersey.

10/7/2016 at 7:37 PM

Page 190 the above reference (Thomas Shourds):

At what time the death of Sinnick Seneca the father of Andrew and his brother John took place I have no means of determining I think not earlier than 1740. In 1731 both of them purchased large tracts of meadow and woodland of the heirs of William Penn as the following order given to Thomas Miles the deputy surveyor for James Logan will show

"An order to Thomas Miles to survey to Sinnick and John Seneca the marsh called Mud Island and 100 acres of land adjoining to their other tracts and for William Philpot the point of land and marsh between his plantation and Salem creek and for Oneifferds Stanley Margaret Bilderback and Thomas Bilder back 100 acres at a place called Hell gate Dated 7th of 4th month 1733. The price of the marsh is five and twenty pounds and 100 acres of woodland thirty pounds for a 100 acres clear of quit rents."

Andrew Sinnickson 3d held important offices in the colonial government in the town and county in which he dwelt Lie filled the office of Judge of the Court and Justice under George III and was an ardent Whig during the American Revolution He died 20th of 8th month 1790 aged seventy years leaving to his heirs a large real estate which is considered as good and productive land as there is in the county of Salem.

10/8/2016 at 8:25 AM

Thks its done

10/8/2016 at 1:38 PM

Thks its done

10/8/2016 at 4:39 PM

Erica. I now note that my Oney b1690 Penn's neck list his father oney the elder b 1650 as born in Penn's neck. When I click on it , it takes me correctly to oney b1650 in Roxbury🙀. This glitch is beyond my skill level to fix

Showing all 20 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion