@John Birdseye, Senior's father?

Started by Private User on Sunday, February 6, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 14 posts
Private User
2/6/2011 at 11:48 AM

I don't have a great grasp of the linked family system on Geni, but I do notice that this person (born 1616 Reading England died 1690 Stratford CT) is listed as having 3 separate fathers and mothers, if I"m reading this correctly. Does anyone have what they think is the most definitive info on this? Katharine Wagner

3/5/2014 at 4:25 PM

That is cleared up (the parental conflict from 2011).

However, I find it interesting that this John is noted as an immigrant when his paternal grandfather Ralph Dayton is also an immigrant ... did they come across together?

3/5/2014 at 7:03 PM

Families of Early Milford which is the source for Milford families starts with this Birdseye (John of Milford and Stratford), which suggests that his parents are unknown. I didn't find anything in NEGHS.

3/5/2014 at 7:06 PM

Also, all the sources state that John Birdseye was the first Birdseye to come to Connecticut.

He is said to be from Reading, Berkshire.

3/5/2014 at 7:22 PM

http://home.comcast.net/~homerbjames/HBJ/V04/V04_Birdseye.htm

Rather confusing. I'll try to find Jacobus.

3/6/2014 at 12:21 PM

FYI: This Tree View also seems to indicates some current 'oddness' of his ancestors http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000002106043560 (focus is a supposed uncle)

3/6/2014 at 12:33 PM

.... based on that HomerBJames document, it seems that we have siblings as father/son ... let me try re-connecting those better ....

3/6/2014 at 12:55 PM

So, dates and timelines seem somewhat consistent with Deacon John Birdseye & Edward Joseph Birdsey as sons of Philippa Birdsall (Smith) (1580) and John Birdsall; that leaves them with a half-brother William John Birdseye .... the Timelines of Philippa and Maybel Birdseye, of York Parish don't really "work" with the three boys as immediate siblings.

... and there is still an open question about the connection of Elizabeth Birdsall (3rd wife? mother? not connected at all?)

3/6/2014 at 2:08 PM

Dan Cornett - you just connected John Birdseye "Sr." to the same woman as his mother and wife. Philippa is his wife as his About Me clearly states.

Am I missing something?

I disconnected the parents. I believe that there is no reliable evidence for the parents of John Birdseye.

3/6/2014 at 3:24 PM

I found and downloaded Donald Lineas Jacobus. NO evidence for a father, John. Just John of Stratfield and Milford with his son John and daughter Joanna. Two wives: Philippa and the second one.

As far as the upstream Birdseyes, I can look into them but they are not proven to be connected to this line. I tend to curate and know the best sources for certain towns in Massachusetts and Connecticut and certain families from 1620 to the mid - late 1700s.

3/6/2014 at 3:46 PM

I think we should delete the other source Dan Cornett. It seems to have garbled a lot of sources, including Donald Lineas Jacobus and as such, is likely to be very unreliable.

3/6/2014 at 4:06 PM

Okay, I'm going with only Donald Lineas Jacobus as the source. There is very little concrete known about this family and what there is is now in the About Me of John and his son John.

I have also changed the names. People were not known as "Sr" and "Jr" in that era. John, the father, was known as Deacon John (not the son) and the son was known as "John son of John".

3/6/2014 at 4:08 PM

The HomerBJames document had bad dates too, didn't agree with Jacobus.

3/10/2014 at 12:26 PM

O.K. .... that seems appropriate.

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion