Project "overview"

Started by Erica Howton on Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 241-270 of 495 posts

Some info on the two Samules:
(1) Great Migration Begins Index: Immigrants to New England, 1620-33 [database online], Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2000:

SAMUEL ALLEN

Two Samuel Allens, one of Braintree and one of Windsor, have been claimed pre-1634 arrivals, and both have been placed on the Mary & John. The earliest record for a Samuel Allen in Massachusetts Bay is an admission to freemanship on 6 May 1635 [MBCR 1:370]. On this basis, the most that we can say is that at least one of the Samuel Allens was in New England by 1634.

(2) Clapp, Henry Lincoln, Fifty Ancestors of Henry Lincoln Clapp Who Came to New England From 1620 to 1650, Boston, MA: Press of David Clapp & Son, 1902, p. 30:

Samuel Allen came from Bridgewater, Somerset Co., Eng., about 1628, and settled in Braintree; freeman May 6, 1635; had a grant of eight acres of land in Boston, Feb. 24, 1640; first wife was Anne who d. Sept. 29, 1641; married second, Mrs. Margaret (French) Lamb, widow of Edward Lamb of Watertown, and died in Braintree, 1669; lived near what is now the corner of Allen and Shaw streets in the eastern part of the town.

(3) Stearns, Ezra S., Genealogical and Family History of the State of New Hampshire, Vol. 4, Chicago, IL: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1902, p. 1996:

Samuel [Allen], third child of George Allen, was born in England in 1605, came to Boston in 1628, and on July 6, 1635, was made a freeman at Braintree. He received a grant of land in 1638 and in 1648 purchased a farm of John Webb, of Boston, the bounds of which are still traceable on three sides. He married (first), Anne _____, who died September 29, 1641, and (second), Margaret French, widow of Edward Lamb, who survived him. The children by the first wife were:

1. Samuel Allen, Deacon, b. 10 Nov 1632, Bristol, Avon, Gloucester, England , d. 1703, East Bridgewater, Plymouth, Massachusetts

2. Sarah Allen, b. 30 Mar 1634, Bristol, Avon, Gloucester, England

3. James Allen Born: 1636, Braintree

4. Mary Allen, b. 4 Jan 1638/39, Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts, d. 7 Dec 1709, , Norfolk, Massachusetts

5.Abigail Allen, b. 4 Jan 1638/39, Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts, d. 1696, Salisbury, Essex, Massachusetts

2nd wife
1. Hester Allen, b. 8 Dec 1648, , Plymouth, Massachusetts,d. Aft 1716, , New London, Connecticut ?
2. Joseph Allen, b. 15 May 1650, Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts, USA , d. 20 Mar 1726/27, Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts
3. Abigail Allen, b. 1651, Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts, USA , d. 25 Jan 1729/30, , Bristol, Rhode Island

( There are 2 Abigails )

Children of Samuel Allen, (1588-1648 of Windsor, CT) and Ann Amy Whitmore are:

1. Mary Allen, b. Abt. 1611, d. 1648, Windsor, Hartford Co., CT..
2. James Allen, b. 1640, Colby, Norfolk Co., England, d. 27 Sep 1676,Medfield, MA..
3. Abigail Allen, b. Abt. 1613, d. date unknown.
4. Joseph Allen, b. Abt. 1614, d. date unknown.
5. Samuel Allen II, b. 1634, Windsor, MA., d. 18 Oct 1719, Northhampton, Hampshire Co., MA..
6. Sarah Allen, b. 1639, d. date unknown.
7. Ann Allen, b. Abt. 1620, d. 1647, Windsor, Hartford Co., CT..
8. John Allen, b. 1610, Windsor, Hartford Co., CT., d. 18 Sep 1675, Battle of Bloody Brook, Deerfield, Franklin Co., MA..
9. Nehemiah Allen, b. 1634, Windsor, Hartford Co., CT., d. 27 Jun 1684, Northhampton, Hampshire Co., MA..
10. Deacon Obadiah Allen, b. 1644, Windsor, Hartford Co., CT., d. 07 Apr 1712, Middletown, Middlesex Co., CT..
11. Rebecca Allen, b. Abt. 1660, Windsor, Hartford Co., CT., d. 08 May 1697, Northhampton, Hampshire Co., MA..

Source Name: Source Name: VIRKUS, FREDERICK A., editor. Immigrants to America before 1750. An Alphabetical List of Immigrants to the Colonies, before 1750, Compiled from Official and Other Records. Surnames 'A through Battles.' Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co.

Ok here is how I am seeing this
Rhonda-Lee's Unknown Profile
His son Samuel Unknown Profile

and George Allen, of Sandwich
Unknown Profile

are the same person, George had a son
Samuel [Allen], third child of George Allen, was born in England in 1605, came to Boston in 1628, and on July 6, 1635, was made a freeman at Braintree. He received a grant of land in 1638 and in 1648 purchased a farm of John Webb, of Boston, the bounds of which are still traceable on three sides. He married (first), Anne _____, who died September 29, 1641, and (second), Margaret French, widow of Edward Lamb, who survived him. The children by the first wife were:

Oops
Rhonda-Lee's George Unknown Profile
his son
Samuel Allen, of Braintree

Ok now the other Samuel Samuel Allen, of South Windsor

Children of Samuel Allen, (1588-1648 of Windsor, CT) and Ann Amy Whitmore are:

1. Mary Allen, b. Abt. 1611, d. 1648, Windsor, Hartford Co., CT..
2. James Allen, b. 1640, Colby, Norfolk Co., England, d. 27 Sep 1676,Medfield, MA..
3. Abigail Allen, b. Abt. 1613, d. date unknown.
4. Joseph Allen, b. Abt. 1614, d. date unknown.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
5. Samuel Allen II, b. 1634, Windsor, MA., d. 18 Oct 1719,
Northhampton, Hampshire Co., MA..
Deacon Samuel Allen.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
6. Sarah Allen, b. 1639, d. date unknown.
7. Ann Allen, b. Abt. 1620, d. 1647, Windsor, Hartford Co., CT..
8. John Allen, b. 1610, Windsor, Hartford Co., CT., d. 18 Sep 1675, Battle of Bloody Brook, Deerfield, Franklin Co., MA..
9. Nehemiah Allen, b. 1634, Windsor, Hartford Co., CT., d. 27 Jun 1684, Northhampton, Hampshire Co., MA..
10. Deacon Obadiah Allen, b. 1644, Windsor, Hartford Co., CT., d. 07 Apr 1712, Middletown, Middlesex Co., CT..
11. Rebecca Allen, b. Abt. 1660, Windsor, Hartford Co., CT., d. 08 May 1697, Northhampton, Hampshire Co., MA..

I believe this info on this profile is incorrect Deacon Samuel Allen
and the correct info should be Samuel Allen II, b. 1634, Windsor, MA., d. 18 Oct 1719, Northhampton, Hampshire Co., MA.
Since this is the Windsor CT Allen family , it makes sense that Sam II would be born in Windsor and not Braintree Mass .

I asked Hatte...
==
Hatte Anne Blejer
Samuel Allen, Jr. (1634-1718 Braintree MA)
Hatte I think this Samuel is NOT from BRAINTREE MA I think he was born in Braintree, Essex County, England the child od Samuel for Windsor CT. who was also from
What do you think?
==
I agree I am changing it.

Oh Boy another Samuel found today
look at the different parents
http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000001694283859?return=duplic...

...and to make it even better ... this Allen also has multiple Samuels in the family.

This William Allen b 1606 father should be Edward Alleyn

b. ABT 1581 Manchester, Lancaster, England

In reference to Rhonda's post above about the two Samuels:

3. Abigail Allen, b. 1651, Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts, USA , d. 25 Jan 1729/30, , Bristol, Rhode Island --- this is actually Abigail Cary the wife of Deacon John Cary who has in error been assumed as a daughter of Samuel Allen when she was not an Allen at all.

This Unknown Profile who is linked as a daughter of Samuel Allen, of South Windsor is linked as a mother to Unknown Profile who is actually Abigail Penniman's son. Even though the dates are wrong on the above John Cary profile, he is probably the same as John Cary since they are both showing as father of the Abigail Cary whose two profiles should be merged:
Unknown Profile
Abigail Carr

Have I confused you yet? ;-)

Ok I have removed Unknown Profile as a child of Samuel Allen, of South Windsor

Now awaiting a message from MEZ (another Curator)for verification to merge these http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000006567871535?return=duplic...

Leslie it seems you asked MEZ to MP these profiles of Abigail Cary and Deacon John Cary so I will be following your advice.

Angus, thank you so much for sharing the document about the two Ralphs - I found it very helpful in clearing up some of my confusion. I think your conclusions are correct (regarding "Ralph Sr." and "Ralph Jr.") and my family oral history confirms that "our" Ralph (Jr.) was a stonemason. Fantastic work! I'm going to spend a lot of time on the Allen site you referenced, thank you so much!

Again, please let me know if there are any tasks I can complete in order to help out. I may be a newbie but I'm good at data entry, for instance!

Thanks again, Angus.

Great news this is Jennifer's Ralph Allen
Ralph G. Allen, aka Ralph Jr. (not son of George Allen)
Ralph 'Wheelwright' Allen, Sr., of Sandwich

and
This is Rhonda-Lee's Ralph Allen
Ralph Geobro Allen, Sr 1600-1698 (Thurcaster) aka Ralph Allen Sr. (Son of George Allen)
Ralph 'Wheelwright' Allen, Sr., of Sandwich

This was a big breakthrough for me because now I know that there are two separate Allen families we are working on..

This is Jennifer's
Ralph G. Allen, aka Ralph Jr. (not son of George Allen)
Ralph 'Stonemason' Allen, Jr, of Sandwich

Ok too many mistakes taking a break..lol

Angus Wood-Salomon Everything looks good for the most part, butI need to look at this branch more closely. I don't believe that Elizabeth Cary is a daughter of Deacon John Cary

Deacon John Cary and Abigail only had one daughter, Abigail and I have never seen a record of them having a daughter named Elizabeth that died as an infant.

Big progress, Angus! Enjoy your break, you've earned it - and thank you for your dedication to unraveling this mess! ;)

This is my Ralph 'Wheelwright' Allen, Sr., of Sandwich also. He is my 10th great-grandfather as well as my 9th great-grandfather. He is also my 10th great-uncle, and my 9th great-uncle. His sister Rose Newland was also my 10th great-grandmother through her first husband Joseph Holley, Sr., of Sandwich

They are both children of George Allen, of Sandwich and 1st wife of George Allen

I am going to see if I can find more documentation on Rose Allen.

Yes,Angus. I don't blame you a bit for taking a break - I took a long one. I just wanted to make note of some things while I am looking at the Allens.

I found these other profiles for Rose Allen:
Unknown Profile
Unknown Profile
Unknown Profile

Ok an update I removed Esther Bull as the wife of Ralph 'Wheelwright' Allen, Sr., of Sandwich

Private User

Our next project should be Unknown Profile

I do not think she is the daughter of George Allen's Sr second wife Katherine "Starke"

One other thing we need to decide if one of her husband's was a Holly, Holley or a Holloway, I think it is Holloway. We know the other is William Newland

I gather this from the About Me of Ralph Allen Sr
==
On Mar. 23, 1654, before becoming a Quaker, he and ++his brother-in-law William Newland++ were among the largest contributors to a fund to provide powder and bullets to fight the Indians, and on May 29, 1655, Ralph Allen, Sen'r. and Ralph Allen, Jun'r, each contributed 10 shillings toward the cost of erecting a place for public meetings.(Sandwich T.R.,1 :9,253)

Yes, you are correct. Rose's husband Joseph was a Holloway and she was not the daughter of Katherine. Ralph and Rose's mother was the unknown wife of George Allen.

Did Rose have 3 husbands ?

1.Joseph Holloway married 1640

2. William Newland married 1648

3.Nathaniel Howland married 1684

Rhonda-Lee Robin Allen Barber, U.E.

The Rose Allen that married Nathaniel Howland is the granddaughter of Rose Allen and Joseph Holloway.

Can we all agree to use this profile as George Allen Sr. first wife..
1st wife of George Allen

Here is one set of documentation for the first wife of George Allen SR let us ignore the name of his first wife( Katherine WATTS b: Nov 1588 in Breedon-on-the-hill) for now..

==
Marriage 1 Katherine WATTS b: Nov 1588 in Breedon-on-the-hill, Leicester, England c: 24 Nov 1588 in Breedon-on-the-hill, Leicester, England •Married: 26 Oct 1592 in Chelmsford,Essex,England 6 5 7 8 9 10 1 2
•Note: CHAN20 Mar 2001
Children
1. Rose Holloway ALLEN b: 1603 in England

2. Joan ALLEN b: 1602 in Weymouth and Melcome Regis, Dorset, England

3. John ALLEN Sr. b: 1604 in Weymouth and Melcome Regis, Dorset, England

4. Samuel ALLEN Sr. b: 1607 in Chelmsford, Essex, England c: in Chelmsford, Essex, England

5. Rose ALLEN b: 1610 in Thurcaston, Leicester, England
Possibly same person as (1)

6. Ralph ALLEN b: 1610 in Thurcaston, Leicester, England c: 1615 in Thurcaston, Leicester, England

7. Robert ALLEN b: 1612/1618 in Thurcaston, Leicester, England

8. George ALLEN Jr. b: 1619 in Thurcaston, Leicester, England

Now his children with Katherine Starke
Marriage 2 Katherine STARKE b: 1604 in Woking, Surrey, England c: 12 Aug 1604 in St. Mary Somerset, London, Middlesex, England •Married: 5 Nov 1624 in , London, Middlesex, England 6 5 4 7 8 9 1 2
•Note: CHAN20 Mar 2001

Children
1. William ALLEN b: 1627 in Weymouth, Dorset, England

2. Thomas ALLEN b: ABT 1628 in Weymouth, Dorset, England

3. Matthew ALLEN b: 1629 in Weymouth, Dorset, England

4. Judah ALLEN b: 1634 in Sandwich, Barnstable, Massachusetts

5. Gideon ALLEN Sr. b: 1635 in Sandwich, Barnstable, Massachusetts

6. James ALLEN b: 1636 in Sandwich, Barnstable, Massachusetts

7. Henry ALLEN Deacon b: 1631 in Sandwich, Barnstable, Massachusetts

8. Francis ALLEN b: 1643 in Sandwich, Barnstable, Massachusetts

9. Caleb ALLEN b: 27 Jun 1645 in Sandwich, Barnstable, Massachusetts

10. Hester ALLEN b: 8 Dec 1648 in Sandwich, Barnstable, Massachusetts

I agree on the profile for George Sr's first wife. Children with first wife should be

1.Rose b.1609/1610
2. Ralph b abt 1610
3.George b 1619
4. Robert b 1612/1618
5. John ALLEN Sr. b: 1604

Not sure about Joan, and Samuel may be son of second wife Katherine.

The children with his second wife are William, Matthew, Henry, Samuel & Gideon. Their mother is Unknown Profile

The other children: Thomas, Judah, James, Hester, and Caleb were not his.

Here are a couple of Allen pages you might want to check out: if you haven't already:

http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/mudhouse/2435/id252.htm
http://history.vineyard.net/b2wtres.htm#Allen

Great article Leslie ... thanks for sharing.

You mention that James was not George's son ... yet the article says, " There is a reliable record of the 1632 birth of James Allen which records the names of his parents as George Allen and Catherine Starke."

re: Samuel ...it states "George Allen married Katherine Davis in 1598 at Bridgewater, Somersetshire. There is also a clear record of Samuel Allen's birth to these parents the same year."

Showing 241-270 of 495 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion