Project "overview"

Started by Erica Howton on Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 181-210 of 495 posts

The second title, 'A Genealogy of the Allen Family", is probably the most helpful - I think it opens with the very family group you've been dealing with earlier today... re-posting link:

http://openlibrary.org/works/OL5439264W/A_genealogy_of_the_Allen_fa...

Thanks Private User. It's available from Google Books as well and can be downloaded. Copyright expired too.

But I see it deals mainly with descendants of one or two sons of George.

http://books.google.com/books?id=m8TF5hcBSp4C&printsec=frontcov... is the one I'm referring to, which I just skimmed.

I didn't see our George Allen family in this one http://openlibrary.org/books/OL13447231M/Genealogy_of_the_Allen_and... (maybe I missed it in skimming), but it has loads of other Allen families and therefore is good for determining that when someone is NOT a descendant of George. It did have a George of Bridgewater, England, with Ann and Martha Lamb wives and children that may have been mixed up with ours.

Yeah, I just skimmed really fast, too, Hatte, so I wasn't completely sure if any of them would be relevant - I'm glad some of it was helpful, even if obliquely! It's just killing me that you all are doing all this work and there's so little I can do to help !

I have been following the discussions, but I am trying to take a break from George and Ralph. They make my head spin too much. I have posted all that I have found to their respective profiles.

My concern right now is a couple of generations down and I need some help from one of you awesome curators. Abigail Whitley needs to be disconnected from Zebulon Hill, of Salem and Elizabeth Hill

I will clean up her profile in a bit, but I think she needs to made an MP with a curator note saying not to merge with the Hill family.

Here is the real Abigail Allen I have cleaned her profile up and also would like her to be an MP with a curator note. She was married to Joseph Allen from a totally different Allen Family.

Thanks!

I have a work assignment tonight that has a deadline of late tonight, so I am not doing any "real" work tonight, but I can do anything tomorrow afternoon.

I can work on the Hill side tonight (one of them is my line!).

Can someone take a look at this "treelet" - ?

Ebenezer Allen

They have the Ebenezer Allen (d. 1778) wife as Mary Hill (d. 1785)

I do not think he's a descendant of George Allen from below citation:

Ebenezer Allen was born on 25 September 1694 in Medfield, Norfolk County, Massachusetts.1 He was the son of Nathaniel Allen and Mary Frizzell. On 25 July 1719 Ebenezer, at age 24, married Mary Hill, daughter of Ebenezer Hill and Mary White.1 Ebenezer Allen died on Thursday, 2 April 1778 in Medway, Norfolk County, Massachusetts, at age 83 years, 6 months and 8 days.
Children of Ebenezer Allen and Mary Hill

* Martha Allen (17 Feb 1719/20 - )
* Ichabod Allen (3 Jun 1721 - 21 Jun 1721)
* Mary Allen (22 Jul 1722 - )
* Rachel Allen (1 Nov 1724 - bt 1724 - 1731)
* Seth Allen (29 Mar 1726 - )
* Ebenezer Allen (13 Aug 1728 - )
* Rachel Allen (19 Jan 1731/32 - )
* Leah Allen (16 Jan 1733/34 - )
* Nathan Allen (5 Mar 1736 - )
* Samuel Allen (6 Jun 1739 - 1 Jan 1746)
* Sarah Allen (27 Mar 1742 - )

Citations

1. Bartlett, Joseph Gardner. John Hill of Dorchester, Mass., 1633 and Five Generations of His Descendants. Boston: Lew C. Hill, 1904.

I'm thinking that Zebulon Hill's father was *not* Philip Hill. Can someone take a look here?

Philip Hill

Also, can we be sure and include links to on line references and / or original source documents?

http://www.theroyfamily.com/p13068.htm - was the QUICK and DIRTY source of my above. Not itself a reliable source but did cite a potentially decent source (Bartlett).

Zebulon Hill was born about 1621. He was from Bristol, England; and, by trade, was a cooper. Land in several places is recorded to him before 1650. One of the lots was "the bank that lyes in the harbour." This was on the present Front Street, and was laid out to his heirs in 1709. He sold his house, homelot, and other lands, to " Goodman Elwell," in 1657, and removed to Salem, where he died about 1699. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Agnes Clark, Nov. 16, 1651. His will mentions several children, and a brother John of Beverly.

http://books.google.com/books?id=qEgWwCBGyCQC&pg=PA104&dq=%...

He was involved in the Salem Witch Trials Erica! I have seen no reliable evidence that he was the son of Philip Hill. I think the majority of sources say he was from Bristol.

http://catnip13.tripod.com/Hill.html

ROGER HILL OF WINCHESTER NEW HAMPSHIRE, A DESCENDANT OF THE HILL FAMILY OF BEVERLY MASSACHUSETTS

First Generation

A variety of Hill records have been found in St. John, Bedminster,
Somersetshire, England and were taken from The Ancestry of Samuel Blanchard Ordway 1844-1916 by Dean Crawford Smith published 1990 by The New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, Mass., Page 331. This work was published after
I had completed my Hill genealogy
1. MR. HILL.and unknown spouse had the following children per Crawford-Smith book.

+ 2 M i. PHILIP HILL was born about 1620 and died before 8 Jan 1708/1709.

+ 3 M ii. ZEBULON HILL was born about 1632 and died in 1699.

+ 4 F iii. ELEANOR HILL was born about 1629/1630 and died 14 Mar 1713/1714 AE Abt 84 Yrs.

5 M iv. JOHN HILL was born about 1635 in Bristol Co., England. He died on 8 Feb 1707/1708, AE about 72 in Beverly, MA (1)

John HILL deposed in Salem, MA Nov 1677, age about 42 years.(2)

John HILL was a cooper by trade. John & Abigail were members of the First Church in Beverly, MA when it was formed from The First Church of Salem in 1667. John Hill was a deacon in this church. (3)

On 30 June 1659 WILLIAM BROWNE of Salem conveyed land on Cape Ann side of the town to ZEBULON & JOHN HILL, coopers.(4) On 17 Apr.1685 JOHN & ZEBULON HILL divided the land, no house mentioned and JOHN HILL was assigned the westerly part.(5) On 14 Aug. 1676 JOHN HILL of Beverly purchased land in Beverly from SAMUEL BEADLE, turner of Salem.(6)

John Hill died intestate and in March of 1708 Abigail Hill was granted administration of her husband's estate. The inventory mentions payment to heirs of Zebulon Hill. (7) On 5 Jan. 1708/9 Abigail Hill, as administrator of the estate, conveyed to her cousin Cornelius Baker of Beverly, blacksmith, the lot which was assigned to John Hill in 1685 with the right to remove the old house and barn standing thereon in which her husband had lived. (8)

Deacon John & AbigaiL Hill had no known children.

John married say 1657 ABIGAIL WOODBURY, daughter of JOHN WOODBURY and ANN Abigail christened on 12 Nov 1637 in Salem, MA. (9) She died after 1708/1709. (10)

Second Generation

2. PHILIP HILL (MR.) was born about 1620 in England. He died before 8 Jan 1708/1709 in Bedminster, England. (11)

PHILIP and his spouse had the following children: (12)

+ 6 M i. ROGER HILL was born about 1640 and died in 1710.

7 M ii. PHILIP HILL was buried on 16 Dec 1657 in St. John, Bedminster, England.

8 F iii. GRACE HILL was buried on 2 Aug 1676 in St. John, Bedminster, England.

3. ZEBULON HILL (MR.) was born about 1632 in England. He died in the winter of 1699 in Salem, MA.(13)

He came to New England from Somerset Co.probably in the Bristol area prior to 1650.

Zebulon HILL worked as a cooper. He first settled in Gloucester, MA where
in the Year 1657, he sold his house, lot and other lands to Goodman ELLWELL and removed to Salem, MA. (14) On 30 June 1659, William BROWNE of Salem, merchant, sold land located in Cape Ann side to Zebulon HILL and his brother John HILL of Salem. (15) On 17 Apr. 1685 the brothers divided the land Zebulon receiving the easterly part.(16) On 27 (7) 1652 Zebulon HILL, deposed at Salem concerning Thomas WATHING (17) On 14 July 1689 Zebulon HILL was admitted to membership in the First Church of Salem "after the usual manner".(18() On 19 (12) 1660 Elizabeth HILL, wife of Zebulon made her confession and was admitted to the Salem Church the following day. (19)

On 9 Sept. 1690 Zebulon HILL conveyed land in Salem to his son Zebulon
HILL Jr. The deed mentions his brother John HILL and Zebulon Jr. pledged to
care for his parents. The document also mentions Zebulon Jr's sisters Jane,
Elizabeth, Mary, Abigail, & his youngest brother Benjamin under age of 14.(20)

Zebulon's will was dated 29 Mar 1699/1700 and was probated 11 Mar
1699/1700. There is a reference to the will of deceased son Zebulon HILL Jr;
bequests to son Philip HILL, daughters Elizabeth MARSTON, Abigail ALLEN, Sarah MORGAN, & grandchildren Benjamin & Elizabeth ASHBY.(21)

ZEBULON married ELIZABETH DIKE, daughter of Mr. DIKE and AGNES TYBOTT? CLARKE, on 16 Nov 1651 in Gloucester, MA.(22) Elizabeth died after 1690.(23)

They had the following children:(24)

9 M i. JOHN HILL was christened on 2 Jun 1659 in Salem, Essex Co., MA.

10 F ii. ELIZABETH HILL was christened on 27 Apr 1662 in Salem, Essex Co., MA. She died young.

+ 11 F iii. JOHANNA HILL was christened on 27 Apr 1662 and died before 29 Mar 1699.

+ 12 M iv. PHILIP HILL was born on 24 Dec 1662 and died about 1724.

+ 13 F v. ELIZABETH HILL was born on 1 Feb 1664/1665.

14 M vi. ZEBULON Jr HILL was born on 5 Jun 166 in Salem, Essex Co., MA. He died in 1691 at Sea. (25)

15 F vii. MARY HILL was christened on 25 Jun 1667 in Salem, Essex Co., MA living in 1690 when her father deeded land to Zebulon Jr but not mentioned in father’s will 1699.

16 F viii. ABIGAIL HILL was born on 21 Sep 1670 in Salem, Essex Co., MA. is probably the Mrs. Allen bur on 18 Feb 1756, ae 86 in Salem, Essex Co., MA.(26) ABIGAIL married JOSEPH ALLEN, a joiner,(27) Joseph died before 13 May 1740 in Salem, MA.(28)

+ 17 F ix. SARAH HILL was born on 22 Jun 1675.

18 F x. JANE HILL.living in 1690 when her father deeded land to Zebulon Jr but not mentioned in father’s will 1699

19 M xi. BENJAMIN HILL.bc 1676, living 1690 AE 14 per above deed but not mentioned in father’s will 1699.

Erica Howton - in answer to the Zebulon Hill / Philip Hill query.

Hi Hatte

Yup, saw those -- the problem is the mother (isn't it always).

This site which I've found pretty reliable says:

http://www.pcez.com/~bigshoe/du/Farr/beckwith.html

Ann unknown

b. ABT 1602 England
liv. Barbados; Portsmouth, Newport RI; Flushing, Queens; Richmond Co., NY; VA
Family (1): (4654) Phillip Hill

[prob. NOT i. Zebulon Hill]

i. (4655) Ann Hill
ii. Robert Hill
b. ABT 1630 d. 1711
ARV 1650 Portsmouth, Newport, RI from Barbados/ NY
liv. 1651 Flushing, Queens, NY; AFT 1651 Rockland Co., NY
liv. VA ABT 1665/67
Family (2): John Elten AFT 1650 RI
Family (3): Capt. unknown Hudson VA
b. ABT 1600

Now her 3 marriages seem a tad improbable too.

But someone from Newport Rhode Island giving birth to someone very associated with Salem?

Naah. Not so likely. We have a coastal traveling woman going to Barbados? She's Quaker, not Puritan.

Thanks for the MP's Angus and Erica!

I just uploaded some documents about Zebulon Hill, of Salem involvement with the Salem witch trials. Thought you would like to know.

I forgot to mention this couple: Abigail Allen and Dea. Benjamin Allen, of Manchester

I don't know who they are or where they belong, but they don't belong where they are. Does anyone else know where they go?

This is one of the Ralph Allyn's that was under consideration as George Allyn's father but the other children listed here for Ralph seem incorrect because of their impossible DOBs. Have you had the chance to research this Hatte?

Unknown Profile

Private User

I haven't found the right parents for Abigail Hill, but I do have her married to the correct-ish Deacon Benjamin Allen, and his tree looks OK-ish.

I'll continue on Hill lines if that's OK. As said, I have an interest there.

Keep up the great work Leslie & Rhonda.

Thanks Erica Howton It's always nice to see folks where they belong :-) You go ahead and work on the Hill line, since I am not actually descendant. However years and years ago I thought I was.

Just curious - does Zebulon fit into the Witchcraft project?

I put my Dr. Philip Reade in there I think! He was on the "wrong" side, alas and accused someone found innocent before actually going to trial, so he's not part of the official Witch Trials -- but I don't care, he was involved!

Apparently he accused a much more powerful family than his and the "blow back" was so bad, he had to migrate from Salem to Concord. To me, a great story and the kind of detail about an ancestor I want to see.

Yay, Dr. Philip Reade, lol! I keep hoping for an ancestor who might've been involved in the Trials, but alas, nothing so far. My ancestors -on all branches, it seems - were disgustingly, determinedly plebian. No royals, no horsethieves, no "saloon girls", no witches. BORing, lol!!! ;)

My ancestors seem to have stayed out of Salem.

Unknown Profile

Rhonda-Lee - he seems like a stray profile that does not belong in the project. The About Me (which I did not write) belongs to Samuel Allen or another Allen, but not to this guy.

Hatte I concur, that is definitely not the correct info in there..

I got this today so I made those changes
Elliott Hersey Elliott Hersey
Today at 2:37 PM
Angus,
Samuel Allen (c1634-1718) who married Hannah Woodford (1642-1719) was the s/o Samuel Allen, of Windsor, CT (c1610-1648) & Ann Allen (?) (1611-1687).There were two Samuel Adams who married Anns. One in Windsor & the other in Braintree, MA.
Would you please make the appropriate changes or allow me to do so through collaboration?
Thank you
Elliott

I saw that changes had been made to Samuel Allen. Elliot should join the project :)

Samuel Allen, of South Windsor Speaking of Samuel Allen of Windsor, are these the correct parents?

Hatte Rubenstein Blejer

Just wanted to let you guys know that the info on the children for this Samuel is not accurate. His daughter Abigail did not marry John Cary - Deacon John Cary married Abigail Cary

This Samuel has other issues, but I don't have time to look into it now.

Showing 181-210 of 495 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion