Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 91-120 of 495 posts

==
Hatte Anne Blejer Transparent
6/13/2011 at 11:37 PM

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~villandra/MomP/44...

This really is an interesting discussion. According to him, Samuel Allen of Windsor who died in 1648 was not related to any other Allen of New England - based on Y DNA studies. And the settlers of Windsor were mostly from Dorchester.
==
This is link is in the About me George Allen, of Sandwich

Private
Virginia any reason why you are making duplicate profiles?
Take a look here
http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000006442565401?fsession_id=1...

@ Richard Allen Sr, 1560-1652 (Alleyne) MP

All thechildren in this profile except for George Allen are in correct .

They should be :

1. Emmett Allen, b. 19 Sep 1584, , Braunton, Devon, England ,

2. George Allen, Sr., b. 1586, , Braunton, Devon, England , d. May 1648, Sandwich, Barnstable, Massachusetts, USA (62 years)

3. Wilmot Allen, b. 9 Jan 1589/90, , Braunton, Devon, England ,

4. Thomas Allen, b. 24 Dec 1597, , Braunton, Devon, England , d. 16 Oct 1688 (90 years)

5. Richard Allen, Jr., b. 6 May 1601, , Braunton, Devon, England , d. Bef 17 Jun 1662 (61 years)

6. Matthew Allen, b. 17 Apr 1605, , Braunton, Devon, England , d. 1 Feb 1670/71, Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, USA (65

The children for John Allen/Allyn, Jr
are incorrect except for Richard Allrn Sr.
They should be :

1. William Allen, Sr., b. 1553, Thaxted, , Essex, England , d. 1589-1590, Boveney, Burnham, Buckingham, England (37 years)

2. Edmund Allen, b. 1558, Thaxted, , Essex, England ,

3. Richard Allen, Sr., b. 1560, , Goldington, Bedford, England , d. 10 May 1652, Cambridge, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA (92 years)

4. Thomas Allen, b. 1560, , Goldington, Bedford, England , d. 14 Apr 1635, , , Essexshire, England (75 years)

5. Elizabeth Allen, b. 1565, Thaxted, , Essex, England ,

6. Mary Allen, b. 1568, Thaxted, , Essex, England

George Alleyne MP

is incorrect
George is a brother of Richard not his father

Thomas Allen is their father
Birth 1430 inOutwell, Norfolk, , England.
Death 1483 inParshore, Worcestershire, England

mpther would be

Margaret Walkenden

Birth 1434inOutwell, Norfolk, England
Death 1483inOutlwell, Norfolk, England
Edit this person

Angus this is the one I asked to be added as manager as he is my 7th great grandfather. You said you were not the manager.

http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000006442565401?fsession_id=1...

Virginia I merged them, so now you are one of the managers.

here's one of the links for the info I posted above :

http://ourfamilyhistories.org/getperson.php?personID=I24103&tre...

Rhonda-Lee you said,
Richard Allen Sr, 1560-1652 (Alleyne) MP
Unknown Profile
All thechildren in this profile except for George Allen are in correct .

1) Did you notice there is a son Ralph George Allen and a son George Allen?

His children showing were all born around the same time as he and his wife..

Can you find out if they were related.

http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000001001274160

In this branch Ralph George Allen, 1560-1652 (Allyn)
Ralph Allen, of Thurcaston
is married to
Margaret Allen, 1564-1642 (Wyatt)
Elizabeth Allen, of Thaxted, Essex

Ralph's father is shown as
Richard Allen Sr, 1560-1652 (Alleyne)
Unknown Profile

HIS MOTHER IS SHOWN AS (Same as his wife)
Margaret Allen, 1564-1642 (Wyatt)
Elizabeth Allen, of Thaxted, Essex
her parents are
Daughter of Thomas Alabaster and Agnes Markaunt
Daughter of Thomas Alabaster and Agnes Markaunt

And Richard dfather

Richard ALLEN??[1560-1652] m. Margaret WYATT \son
>
>Ralph d. 1698 m. Esther Swift [1622-1691)

http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/read/HEDDEN/1998-02/0886643277
There is so many descrepancies:
Notes for George Allen, Sr.:
George Allen was constable in Sandwich in 1639 and Deputy to the Plymouth General Court 1640-1645. He was also Surveyor of Highways. He came to Massachusetts as part of Joseph Hull's group of settlers.

Bibliography:

Allen, John K., George Allen of Weymouth, Massachusetts, 1635, of Lynn, Massachusetts, 1636, and of Sandiwich, Massachusetts, 1637-68: together with some of his descendants, manuscript (Washington, DC: L. C. Photoduplication Service, 1989) Microfilm

More About George Allen, Sr.:
Date born 2: 1568, Bridgewater, Somerset, England9
Date born 3: 1568, Thurcaston, Lancastershire, England10
Date born 4: Abt. 157011
Date born 5: Abt. 1575, Thurcaston, Lancastershire, England12
Date born 6: 1575, Somersetshire, England13
Date born 7: 1578, Saltford, Somersetshire, England14
Date born 8: 1578, Weymouth, Dorset, England15
Date born 9: Abt. 1581, Thurcaston, Lancastershire, England16
Date born 10: Abt. 1582, Saltford, Somersetshire, England17
Date born 11: Bef. 1583, England18
Date born 12: Abt. 1590, England19
Date born 13: Abt. 161020
Died 2: April 1648, Sandwich, Barnstable, MA21
Died 3: April 02, 164822
Died 4: Bef. May 02, 1648, Sandwich, Barnstable, MA23
Died 5: May 02, 1648, Plymouth, MA24
Died 6: Bef. June 07, 1648, Sandwich, Barnstable, MA25
Burial: May 02, 1648, Sandwich, Barnstable, MA26
Emmigrated: March 20, 1634/3527
Immigration: May 06, 1635, "Speedwell," Weymouth, England to Boston MA28
Land Transaction: 1637, Patentee, Sandwich, Barnstable, MA29
Probate: June 07, 164831
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/s/o/l/John-O-Solis/BOOK-...

which dob are we going with for Geo? popular dates for him are 1568 1580 1586 . Since he immagrated in the yr 1635 that would put him at 67 49 or 55. Since he was constable in the year 1639 that would make him 71 ( kinda old for that job) or 54 or 59. Also he was a land and road surveyor for 4 years after that and also had a house built in 1646 and then died 2 yrs later . I would believe that his dob should be 1580 or 1586. What do you think? Maybe when we decide on the date it will help to determine the rest... though I know we are not going to solve the Geo mystery of dates and parents ..we can make the best assumption from the facts gathered.

Look at the ages of his children to figure out the most probable birth date also. I agree with your approach Rhonda-Lee, to enter a birth date, but to note the discrepancies and the sources for the various birth dates.

I thought that there was also the evidence from the age "24" -- probably "54" on the ship manifest. Which would make his birth date 1580 - 82.

@ Hatte, I think the 1580 is the most relalistic age to go with considering all the things he still did afther he immigrated.
Also I received a published book today ( info taken from old family Bible...that was passed down and they ended up with it ) from another Allen famiy member , ... and they have George 's dob at 1580 from Weymouth and his father as Ralph Allen... here I was thinking it was Richard...lol...what is your take on who his father could more than likely be , as I know we can't prove it ?

from the book I rec'd ...Ralph's wife is unknown but George's two wives are Katherine Watts mar 1592 and Katherine Starkes mar 1624. Not sure if this really helps to clarify anything actually ...but I was so excited to receive this treasure of information ! ...:)

American Genealogical-Biographical Index (AGBI)
about George Allen

Name:

George Allen

Birth Date:

Birthplace:

Eng, Massachusetts, Constable, Deputy

Volume:

Page Number:

Reference:

Howland heirs. By Will. Morrell Emery. New Bedford, Ms, 1919. (484p.): 288-9

==
Ralph's wife is unknown but George's two wives are Katherine Watts mar 1592 and Katherine Starkes mar 1624.
==
I think we just have to bite the bullet and chosse one, my preference is1580..

Even with the above though there could be an argument that his first marriage was 1592 which means he was 12 yr old..

Yes, the marriages and births of his oldest children need to fit whatever date we "choose" :)

The first source I read said Ralph of Thuraston was his father. I'll dig that up again.

http://books.google.com/books?id=apE-AAAAYAAJ&pg=PA1406&dq=...

Here's the source that speculates that Ralph Allen of Thurcaston was the father of George Allen. All the sources cite 9 - 10 children. He mentions five sons in his will and 5 "least children" (minors). Sons mentioned are: Ralph, Samuel, Henry, Matthew, and William. George and Ralph were apparently already married and had received their share previously. Ralph was a witness.

Here's a lot of good documentary information related to George Allen:

http://books.google.com/books?id=-s6jO4ZSSaIC&pg=PA9&dq=%22...

Is Thurcaston near Weymouth Dorset , I thought that's where Ralph was from . Also when checking online I see it has
John Allyn 1538 and Elizabeth Alabaster listed as Ralph's parents. Does anybody find anything different? Also the funny thing they had Margaret Wyatt lsited as his wife ... guess she fits in wherever she is needed ...lol.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Weymouth,+...

Weymouth is a southern port in Dorset. Thurcaston is in the center of the country in Leicester. 200 miles apart.

When looking at the places his children were born we see at least 5 of them were born in Weymouth and 4 in Thurcaston and the rest in Sandwich, Mass.
His oldest child Joan was born in 1602 .

I've been going through Great Migration published in 1999 and available on the NEGHS site if you subscribe. This is a very well sourced book. His view is that the Thomas Allyn of Barnstable, Plymouth and the Matthew Allyn of Cambridge, Hartford, and then Windsor were brothers from Braunton, Devonshire. They are unrelated to Samuel Allen of Windsor. They were the sons of Richard Allen and Margaret Wyott. Matthew was baptized April 17, 1605 in Braunton. Children of Matthew are: Mary, John and Thomas.

So there does not appear to be evidence for our George Allen to be from Braunton, Devonshire. That was based on the assumption that he was the brother of Thomas and Matthew I believe. There is a lot of evidence for Thomas and Matthew being brothers from Braunton.

I am leaning towards Thurcaston and Ralph as the father. And circa 1580 for the birth although there's some evidence for 1570. He was said to be ~ age 80 at his death in 1848 which might make him born more like 1570. He was over 60 in 1643 so could not bear arms.

Henry Allen, of Sandwich Take a look at what I just found / added to his About Me.

Hatte ...WOW that is amazing information there on Henry Allen, of Sandwich..

You said
==
His view is that the Thomas Allyn of Barnstable, Plymouth and the Matthew Allyn of Cambridge, Hartford, and then Windsor were brothers from Braunton, Devonshire.
==
They are unrelated to Samuel Allen of Windsor.
==
They were the sons of Richard Allen and Margaret Wyott. Matthew was baptized April 17, 1605 in Braunton. Children of Matthew are: Mary, John and Thomas.
==

THE MORE I READ THE MORE I AM COMING TO THE SAME CONCLUSION.

RHONDA-LEE what do you think?

Henry Allen was an after planter, arriving in Milford in 1645. There were several other Allens in Milford, although Henry is the only one that the author of Families of Early Milford, Connecticut states is a son of George and Katherine of Sandwich, MA.

The other Allens were: (1) Gideon born circa 1650 who married Sarah Prudden. He was a cordwainer; (2)Obadiah born circa 1648 who married Elizabeth Sanford and who is said to be a son of Samuel. He died April 7, 1712. He is said to be from Middletown.

Gideon named his first son "George" (born in 1678).

Gideon Allen of Milford

I believe that his brother Gideon also settled in Milford, after Henry. Read the About Me.

Also - http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wayland/fowler/pafg106.htm has some good source references and discussion on Gideon Allen.

I merged two Gideon Allen profiles, that were clearly the same individual. I will continue looking at Gideon and at Henry, both of whom seem to have settled in Milford. I'll look for good sources for them as sons of George Allen and for events in their lives. There is also an Obadiah, son of Samuel, as I mentioned. I'll check him as well since Milford was a very small town and while it could be a coincidence, it is not that likely.

Deacon Obadiah Allen of Milford was the son of Samuel Allen of Windsor. I added him to the project. We can remove him if he does not fit. Samuel Allen of Windsor father, Anne/Amy Whitmore mother...

George Allen

Weymouth, Dorset, England

Died: Apr 1648
Buried: 2 May 1648

Sandwich, Barnstable, Massachusetts, USA

OneWorldTree® choice - (Our "recommendation" for the most accurate piece of information.)

Name(s)

George Allen

158 User-submitted trees

Birth Date(s)

1568 48 User-submitted trees

1580 16 User-submitted trees

1578 16 User-submitted trees

1568 10 User-submitted trees

1594 8 User-submitted trees

1578 7 User-submitted trees

1580 4 User-submitted trees

1579 5 User-submitted trees

1575 3 User-submitted trees

1575 3 User-submitted trees

1581 3 User-submitted trees

1583 2 User-submitted trees

1582 2 User-submitted trees

1583 1 User-submitted trees

Birth Place(s)

Weymouth, Dorset, England 26 User-submitted trees

England 29 User-submitted trees

Weymouth, Dorchestshire, England 13 User-submitted trees

Weymouth, England 13 User-submitted trees

Saltford, Somerset, England 9 User-submitted trees

Weymouth, Dorest, England 7 User-submitted trees

Somerset, England 8 User-submitted trees

Thurcaston, Leicestershire, England 5 User-submitted trees

Braunton, Devon, England 3 User-submitted trees

Dorset, England 4 User-submitted trees

Weymouth, Dorchest, England 2 User-submitted trees

Thurcaston, England 3 User-submitted trees

I also believe as Hatte, that George was born in 1580 , however I do not believe that he was born in Thurcaston but in Weymouth, Dorchestshire England because most of the research I have seen indicates this, along with the published work I rec'd and his first 5 children were born there ( Weymouth) , so it would indictae that he later moved to Thurcaston, since he does have other children born there too before coming ot New England. I feel the evidnece leans towards Weymouth.

Showing 91-120 of 495 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion