Project "overview"

Started by Erica Howton on Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-60 of 495 posts

http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000004047255008?idx=0&ret...

Angus, Rhoda - I merged the Samuels. But Angus has two MP Amy Anne Whitmore profiles so I cannot merge them (well I can, but I'm asking Angus to verify).

See link above for two Amy/Anne Whitmores.

Hatte easy easy, Rhonda said there were two Samuels one in CT and one in MA where did they go?

All the Samuels were married to Amy/Anne Whitmore.

Sorry Angus, time to go to bed obviously.

See this merge which cannot happen:

http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000011584055971?return=duplic...

All the Samuels had Anne/Amy as a wife. 3 were certainly identical. The last one I may have been mistaken about.

I should not have been doing this so late at night while packing clearly. I apologize if one Samuel was a different one. But I did not see a single Windsor and I looked.

http://www.archive.org/stream/genealogyofsamue00alle/genealogyofsam...
"A genealogy of Samuel Allen of Windsor, Connecticut : and some of his descendants"

SAMUEL' ALLEN came from Braintree/ Essex County, England. He
was born about the year 1588, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. He
came to Cambridge, Mass., in 1632; was brother of CoL Matthew Allyn,
of Cambridge^ Mass., afterwards of Windsor and Hartford, Ct;., and Dea.
Thomas Allyn, of Middletown, Ct. He removed to Connecticut in 1 G35,
and settled in Windsor. He was a juryman March 5, 1644, and was by
occupation a farmer. From the Windsor, Ct., land records we have the
following :

o

" January 27, 1640, Samuel Allen hath granted from the Plantation at Windsor,
Ct. Lst. An house lott being six acres, three roods, ten poles, bounded from the
rivulet [Farmington River] to the West, hj' Rodger Ludlow on the South; by
Thomas .Mai-shull on the North ; and run in length to the West into a highway laicl
out unto some part of the lot of the said Rodger Ludlow and him the said Samuel
Allen. 2nd. In Plymouth meadow Four acres, bounded by Bray Rossiter on the
North ; and a rivulet that runs into the great [Connecticut] River on the South.
3d. Toward Hartford Nineteen acres more or less and runs in lencrth to the Great
River to the West one hundred and thirty and four rods and is bounded by John
Witchfield on the North, and by Thomas Marshfiekl on the S<}uth. 4th. Over the
Great River next to the same jfteen rods in breadth , in the length to the East three
miles ; bounded by Joseph Lummus on the South ; John Hurd on the North."

The fourth division was undoubtedly within the present limits of South
Windsor. Samuel Allen was a man of public spirit, and was honored by
his fellow citizens with positions of trust. He died at Windsor, Ct., and
was buried April 28, 1 648, aged 60 years, leaving a widow and six children.
His widow, Ann Allen, removed to Northampton, Mass., where she m. second,
William Hurlbut. Ann (Allen) Hurlbut died Northampton, Mass., Nov.
1.% 1C87.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~villandra/MomP/44...

This source quotes a differing opinion about Samuel's supposed brothers.

There's a lot on NEGHS about Samuel Allen but I cannot look at it until Monday.

Great thanks Hatte,,,

Samuel Allen 1597-1669 mar. Ann Whitmore and Margeret French
son
Samuel Allen II 1632-1670 mar Sarah Partridge
son
Samuel Allen III 1660-1750 mar Rebecca Cary , Abigail Williams and Mary Alden
son
Samuel IV 1686-1750 mar Jane Turner no children found

Henry Allen, of Sandwich how does his father relate to the father of Samuel lien Allen?

I think Henry and samuel were younger sons of george Allen the immigrant by Katharine stark according to about me.

Not Samuel Lien unless he was born after 1624. Marriage of katharine and george Allen in 1624 according to rhoda's document.

Two George Allens? Two sons named Samuel?

@Hatte please , my name is Rhonda-Lee not Rhoda... I don't know why you keep calling by that name.

I need a favor Rhonda would you read this and give me an opinion
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jacmac/allen.htm

Most notable is this
==
(NOTE: Although one commonly sees postings and family write-ups that indicate that our George Allen is the George Allen who married as his second wife, Katherine Starkes, on 5 November 1624 in All Hallows Church, Honey Lane, London, I know of absolutely no documentation that would support that this is the same George Allen. On the contrary, there is evidence that suggests that this George Allen was the son of Richard Allen of the Tower of London, and that he was still residing in London, England as late as 1640, when he was mentioned in his brother, Henry's, will. This George Allen is also believed to be the same George Allen who died at St. Michael Queenhithe, London on 26 March 1664.

In addition to the above, it has also been accepted by some that our George Allen was the son of John Allen of Saltford in Somersetshire, England. As with the above assertion, there is absolutely no evidence that I know of to substantiate this. There is, however, strong evidence that indicates that this George Allen was still residing at Saltford in 1638, when he was involved in a court case regarding tenements in the Tything of Saltford. By 1638, our George Allen was already well established at Sandwich on Cape Cod. Aside from the fact that a person named George Allen was identified as living in Saltford, England during the 1630's, any connection to our George Allen appears to be based more on conjecture than supportable facts
==

What is your opinion of the above part?

OOps sorry Rhonda-Lee

Hi Angus ,

No problem.
Yes I see you are reading Jack McDonald's research ... he has done a tremendous amount . George's parentage is still under
debate. I have written to Jack to see what he thinks and if he has discovered anything new. I think sometimes we have to go with the best , most likely info. Most genealogists agree that he married Katherine
Davis, daughter of Rice Davis, in 1600 at age 32. She may have been the widow of a man named Watts as she is sometimes referred to as Katherine Watts. He may have had an earlier wife.
Katherine Davis died in 1619 after giving birth to at least six children, five of whom were male.
In 1624 George reportedly married Katherine Starkes at age 56 and fathered at least six more children.

Also found this info that claims that George's father was Ralp and mother Margaret Wyott ( Wyatt)

•Name: George ALLEN Sir
•Surname: Allen
•Given Name: George
•Suffix: Sir
•Sex: M
•Birth: 1586 in Braunton, Devon, England 1 2
•Christening: 1586 Braunton, Devon, England 1 2
•Death: May 1648 in Sandwich, Barnstable, Massachusette 1 2
•Burial: 2 May 1648 Sandwich, Barnstable, Massachusetts 1 2
•_UID: 823879BAC77DD811A0D8444553540000C255
•Immigration: 5 May 1635 Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts 3 4 2
•Event: Biography Unknown 5 4 2
•Note:
Name Suffix: Sr.
REFN: HWS24103
Ancestral File Number: 84KP-JX
6 5 4 7 8 9
•Change Date: 17 Feb 2009 at 14:36:46

Father: Ralph ALLEN Sr. b: 1560 in Goldington, Bedford, England
Mother: Margret WYOTT b: 9 Nov 1564 in Braunton, Devon, England c: 19 May 1567 in Braunton, Devon, England

Marriage 1 Katherine WATTS b: Nov 1588 in Breedon-on-the-hill, Leicester, England c: 24 Nov 1588 in Breedon-on-the-hill, Leicester, England •Married: 26 Oct 1592 in Chelmsford,Essex,England 6 5 7 8 9 10 1 2
•Note: CHAN20 Mar 2001
Children 1. Rose Holloway ALLEN b: 1603 in England
2. Joan ALLEN b: 1602 in Weymouth and Melcome Regis, Dorset, England
3. John ALLEN Sr. b: 1604 in Weymouth and Melcome Regis, Dorset, England
4. Samuel ALLEN Sr. b: 1607 in Chelmsford, Essex, England c: in Chelmsford, Essex, England
5. Rose ALLEN b: 1610 in Thurcaston, Leicester, England
6. Ralph ALLEN b: 1610 in Thurcaston, Leicester, England c: 1615 in Thurcaston, Leicester, England
7. Robert ALLEN b: 1612/1618 in Thurcaston, Leicester, England
8. George ALLEN Jr. b: 1619 in Thurcaston, Leicester, England

Marriage 2 Katherine STARKE b: 1604 in Woking, Surrey, England c: 12 Aug 1604 in St. Mary Somerset, London, Middlesex, England •Married: 5 Nov 1624 in , London, Middlesex, England 6 5 4 7 8 9 1 2
•Note: CHAN20 Mar 2001
Children 1. William ALLEN b: 1627 in Weymouth, Dorset, England
2. Thomas ALLEN b: ABT 1628 in Weymouth, Dorset, England
3. Matthew ALLEN b: 1629 in Weymouth, Dorset, England
4. Judah ALLEN b: 1634 in Sandwich, Barnstable, Massachusetts
5. Gideon ALLEN Sr. b: 1635 in Sandwich, Barnstable, Massachusetts
6. James ALLEN b: 1636 in Sandwich, Barnstable, Massachusetts
7. Henry ALLEN Deacon b: 1631 in Sandwich, Barnstable, Massachusetts
8. Francis ALLEN b: 1643 in Sandwich, Barnstable, Massachusetts
9. Caleb ALLEN b: 27 Jun 1645 in Sandwich, Barnstable, Massachusetts
10. Hester ALLEN b: 8 Dec 1648 in Sandwich, Barnstable, Massachusetts

Sources: 1.Repository: Name: SLC - Family History Library
Salt Lake City, UT 84150 U.S.A.
SLC - Family History Library
25 N. West Temple Street~~Salt Lake City~~UT~~84150~~U.S.A.
Title: "FamilySearch® Ancestral File? v4.19"
Author: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Publication: 3 Feb 2001
2.Repository: Name: Kirk Larson
Laguna Niguel, CA 92677 U.S.A.
Kirk Larson
23512 Belmar Dr.~~Laguna Niguel~~CA~~92677~~U.S.A.
Title: "Genealogical Research of Kirk Larson"
Author: Larson, Kirk
Publication: Personal Research Works including Bethune & Hohenlohe Descendants, 1981-2001, Kirk Larson, Pr ivate Library
3.Repository: Name: Kirk Larson
Kirk Larson
Title: "The Planters of the Commonwealth: 1620-1640 Passengers and Ships"
Author: Banks, Charles Edward
Publication: 13 Feb 2001
Text: May 5, 1635 (unknown vessel) left the port of Weymouth,Dorset, England in March1635 led by Re v. Joseph HULL and arrived May 5, 1635. Went to Wessaguscus Plantation by permission of th e General Court which officially changed the name ofthe settlement t
4.Repository: Name: Kirk Larson
Kirk Larson
Title: "Immigrant Ancestors: A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America before 1750"
Author: Virkus, Frederick Adams
Publication: 12 Feb 2001
Text: Source Annotation:In the years from 1925 to 1942, Frederick A. Virkus edited seven volumes wi th the title, The Abridged Compendium of American Genealogy, published in Chicago by the Inst itute of American Genealogy. Each volume has a section in the main b
Page: p. 33
5.Repository: Name: Orange - Family History Library
Orange, CA 92869-5042 U.S.A.
Orange - Family History Library
674 S. Yorba Street~~Orange~~CA~~92869-5042~~U.S.A.
Title: "The New England Historical and Genealogical Register"
Author: Waters, Henry F. (Henry Fitz-Gilbert), 1833-1913. Genealogical gleanings in England. (Added ) New England Historic Genealogi
Text: FREQUENCY: Quarterly DESCRIPTION: v. : ill. ; 24 cm. NOTES: Title from cover. Vols. for 1883- 1898 include section: Genealogical gleanings in England, by H. F.Waters. Vols. for 1900-192 3 include annual supplement to Apr. no.: Proceedingsof the New-Engla
6.Repository: Name: Chino - Family History Library
Chino, CA 91709 U.S.A.
Chino - Family History Library
3354 Eucalyptus Street~~Chino~~CA~~91709~~U.S.A.
Title: "New England Marriages: Prior to 1700"
Author: Torrey, Clarence Almon
Page: p. 10
7.Repository: Name: Kirk Larson
Kirk Larson
Title: "Genealogical Research of David Stever"
Author: Stever, David
8.Repository: Name: Orange - Family History Library
Orange, CA 92869-5042 U.S.A.
Orange - Family History Library
674 S. Yorba Street~~Orange~~CA~~92869-5042~~U.S.A.
Title: "Quaker Records and Genealogy"
Author: Savage, James
9.Repository: Name: Central Los Angeles Public Library
Los Angeles, CA 90071 U.S.A.
Central Los Angeles Public Library
630 W. Fifth Street~~Los Angeles~~CA~~90071~~U.S.A.
Title: "The Allen Family"
Author: Stoddard, Frances M.
Publication: 3 Feb 2001
10.Repository: Name: Kirk Larson
Kirk Larson
Title: "Immigrant Ancestors: A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America before 1750"
Author: Virkus, Frederick Adams
Publication: 12 Feb 2001
Text: Source Annotation:In the years from 1925 to 1942, Frederick A. Virkus edited seven volumes wi th the title, The Abridged Compendium of American Genealogy, published in Chicago by the Inst itute of American Genealogy. Each volume has a section in the main b
Page: p. 35, 38

I will let you know if Jack McDonald has any additional info.

There are so many erroneous accounts of the Allens that the result of reading them is utter confusion !

The following is from "The Ancestry of Dr. J. P. Guilford" by Dr. Joan S. Guilford - 1990.

"The time and place of George allen's birth are matters of debate even to this day as is the identity of his wife Catherine who accompanied him to these shores. neither is the name of his previous wife, by whom he is presumed to have had a number of his children, known. Much research has been done in England on these matters by Seward and Norah (Stewart) Allen (1985) and, based on their findings, it seems safe to reject two very popular hypotheses.

"The first hypothesis was based on an assumption that George's second wife was Catherine Starkes the marriage having taken place on November 4, 1624, at All Hallows Church in London. This George Allen was a widower, the son of Richard Allen, a moneyer of the Tower of London, 24 years of age and a clothworker by trade. Catherine was a spinster, "30 years of age or the year above" and so was born by 1535, at the time George and Catherine are found listed as passengers to America, this George would have been 35 and his wife, 40 or 41. Our Catherine is listed then as age 30. It is known that George's earliest children were born shortly after 1600, making them contemporaries of this George.

"The secnd hypothesis was based on some litigation between a George Allen of Saltford, Somersetshire, that involved Rice Davis of Tickenham. The indenture was dated 8 May 1627. It has been posited by some that our George married a daughter of Davis (i.e., a Catherine Davis), but according to the Allens, all of Davis' daughters are known and none married an Allen. However, this same George Allen was still involved in litigation in England and was one against whom the Privy Council took action in November of 1638, three years after our George had come to America.

"These findings convinced the Allens that 1) George Allen did not marry Catherine Starkes or a daughter of Rice Davis, and 2) he was not the above-mentioned George, resident of Saltford, Somerset. George of Saltford was the son of John Allen of that place and sired a son George in 1605. Our George had his seventh child, George, in 1618 or 1619.

"Even more intriguing findings by the Allens related to Devonshire. According to parish records at Shebbear, two sons of a George Allen, Robert and George, were baptized there (dates not provided but apparently around 1619). A George Allen, son of John, was christened at St. Sidwell, Exeter, Devon, on April 4, 1582. This John might well be the one christened on 19 January 1562 at Bishop's Nympton, Devon, son of William. A John Allen died at Landkey, Devon, leaving a will which unfortunately was destroyed during WWII, but the terms of which were preserved. The names of the children of this John Allen were William, George, James, Matthew, and John. Landkey, Shebbear and Barnstaple are all in Devonshire and close to one another. Many of the early immigrants to America came from this area. Coincidentally or not, Richard Bourne (b. 1610) was a native of Barnstaple and was one of the earliest settlers at Sandwich, Mass., as well as a witness to the will of George Allen. If the age of George at his emigration in 1635 was 54 (rather than the impossible 24 recorded), as most believe, he could well be the one baptized in 1582, very possibly born in 1581. It should also be noted that a George Allen was baptized on 2 April 1581 at St. John the Baptist Church in Bridgewater, Somersetshire. A Somerset county origin is somewhat supported by the contention that Samuel Allen came from this county.

"There has also been a story accepted by many (e.g., Cutter, ibid.) that George was a son of Ralph Allen of Thurcaston, Leicestershire, born in 1568. The Allens found no record in Leicester of this birth, only of a George born to a Ralph in 1628. However, the records here are missing between 1573 and 1594. It seems unlikely that a man of 71 years would be elected constable in 1639 as was our George.

Wow that is amazing information Rhonda-Lee

There seems to be a strong possibility that Ralph Allen is a better candidate to be George's father than John , since Ralph Allen , b. Abt 1542, lived in Weymouth, , Dorset, England .

Rhonda-Lee I just found another discussion by Michael Sortomme
http://www.geni.com/discussions/95504

in it she states
==
Michael Sortomme
5/29/2011 at 5:00 PM

Thank you, Angus, for adding this profile to the GAP for further discussion! That is exactly what I was trying to do last night at 3 AM. I apprecaite your help!

Katherine Allen is a very disputed person, as you know, Angus. She was, originally (it feels like a different lifetime now, the tree changes so often these days) a grandmother, now is some sort of distant relation to another branch of the Allens unknown to me. When I was notified automatically by Geni software and found another incarnation of Katherine, added by Chris B, my 10th cousin through the Goodspeed line, I thought it deserved lots of attention!

This is a good example of the problem with Anjou's material; it creeps in unexpectedly and causes much doubt and frustration. I am sorry if I wasn't clear in my posting. I have been posting lately because of breakthroughs in my personal family tree, but, clearly, it is time to back down and get back to my real work.
Y'all have a good day!
==

And this
==
Michael Sortomme
5/30/2011 at 4:44 AM

Below are just 2 examples of the places Katherine Starkes Allen takes on the tree, plus one for a once "mother" of George Allen Sr--notice the names, they are the same. I include these profiles only as examples of how many times the same people have changed places, info deleted, managers changed, duplicates too numerous to mention, etc. She is my grandmother, but, since September, she has been a relative, an aunt, a cousin of every sort, from 1st to 10th. All the while, I know she's my grandmother.

When I created a profile for Katherine Starkes Allen, last year (its long gone now) my grandmother and wife of George Allen Sr., she was his second wife and mother to his last 5 children (called his lesser) of a total of 13. I found this info (and posted it to George Allen Sr. profile, along with lots of other goodies) through the Allen Family records and the New England Historical Society, through a link on ancestry.com, from inner-searches there. KSA, according to what I saw, was related to the Wyatts through her mother. Now, (see below) there is a profile for KSA as George Allen Sr. mother. Okay, I know we have fewer grandparents than most, but that is kind of ridiculous. If you look closely, some of these profiles are clearly other people. Their dates and places change, but, all those people can’t be everything to everyone and still go by the same name and have the same children.

To be honest, Ashley, I don't know what to think anymore, regarding the Allen/Starkes/Wyatt lines. The tree has morphed so much, the same people have danced around so often, 20,000 less ancestors on my tree in the last 2 weeks and it is not any clearer than it was in September 2010, when profiles started to evaporate and change beyond recognition.

Don't get me wrong, y'all. I know being a curator is a thankless, demanding job that only big-brained, tough-skinned people can handle. I would NEVER be right for the job--too difficult, to be sure! I respect y'all and what you do. Know that when I holler, it’s out of frustration, not anger.

There are problems that keep getting worse on some lines and the Allen-Starke mess is just one example. New England Colonial America is a mess! I take it personally, of course, since many are my people (yours too), but I understand I have an emotional attachment that is different from people not related to them. In some ways, I wish we could wipe some Anjou involved lines completely away and start afresh, based on the verified info of NEGS. That would be a good start, if we can separate fact from fiction.

Didn't I promise NOT to post for awhile last night at 3AM? Yep, I did and here we go again...

Be good to yourselves this coming week and thanks a bunch for all you do!!!

Katherine (1605 b. Surrey England- d. Sandwich, Barnstable, MA) Allen (Starkes)
Place of Burial: England
Birth: 1605
Woking, Surrey, England
Death: circa 1656 (51)
Sandwich, Barnstable, Massachusetts, USA
Katherine 1563 (Colby, Norfolk, UK -d. Windsor, Hartford, CT) Allen (Starkes)
Birth: circa 1563
Colby, Norfolk, UK
Death: August 5, 1649 (86)
Windsor, Hartford, CT, USA
Immediate Family:
Hide
Show
Wife of Reginald 1563 bad. England Allen
Mother of George Allen

Added by: Thomas Palmer on February 5, 2009

Managed by: Martin Severing Eriksen and 3 others

Curated by: Angus Wood-Salomon
Margaret Allen (Wyatt) (1569 - 1642)
Birth: November 7, 1569 - Braun ton, Devon,, England
Death: 1642 (73) - Hartford, CT, USA
Immediate Family: Daughter of Walter Wyatt and Joan Milford
Wife of Ralph Allen
Mother of George Allen, Walter ALLEN, John ALLEN and William ALLEN

Added by: Richard Metcalf on Jul 20, 2008

Managed by: Sally Thomas, Eileen Patricia Burroughs, Virginia Diane McClure, Richard Maddox Metcalf, Margaret Whitman and Philip Richard Greenback, Jr.

Michael , What do you have as the correct info for Katherine Starke?

Sorry Rhonda Lee! I was on an iPhone on a train. Small screen. My sister is Tandy Lee.

I need to read this on a big screen. If George Allen did have two sets of children, which us what I also found, are the two George Allens the same person?

Michael Sortomme
Rhonda-Lee I have tagged Michael

Which DOB is correct for George Allen ?
Most have it BEF 1583, England source Cape Cod Genealogy - Allen Family Project AUTHOR: Ed Cooper, Editor PUBLICATION: http://history.vineyard.net/allen/
DEATH: Apr 1648, Sandwich, Barnstable, MA
BURIAL: 2 May 1648, Sandwich, Barnstable, MA Friends Cemetery

George Allen, sailed 20 March 1635/6 and the ship's record indicates that "George Allin (24) was accompanied by his wife, Katherin Allyn (30)
Obviously there is something wrong with George's age as recorded in the departure record, since it is also recoreded that his son George Allyn accompanied his father and he was 16 yrs. One thing might explain the "24"-- the 2 was meant to be a "5" would have made him 54. This is why his birth is recorded in many records as "about 1582."

The English ancestry and New England descendants of George Allen most recent work is the book "Ancestral Lines, Third Edition" by Carl Boyer, 3rd, published by the author, Santa Clarita, CA, 1998. Boyer reviews the previous works and concludes that the first George Allen and the first Ralph Allen of Sandwich, Massachusetts were brothers, and the sons of John Allen of Saltford in County Somerset in England. He discussed the possibility that the George Allen who married Katherine Starkes in 1624 in All Hollows Church in London, the son of Richard Allen, moneyer of the Tower of London, is this particular George Allen, but the age of this Katherine was not consistent with the age of the immigrant Katherin Allen in 1635. Boyer suggests that he married (lastly) Katherine Davis of Tickenham in County Somerset, the daughter of Rice Davis. Unfortunately, the surviving Saltford parish registers start in 1712, and the extant Bishop's Transcripts are not helpful. It is apparent, from the ages of his children, that George Allen was married at least twice. The name of his first wife(wives) is unknown. This author decided to not accept Catherine Davis as his second wife, nor Saltford in Somerset as his home parish.

The 1643 list of those able to bear arms did not contain his name, so it is possible that he was over sixty years of age by that time

Since John Allen cannot be proven to be th efather of George since it was proposed that the George Allen, son of John of Saltford, was still residing in Saltford in 1638 (long after our George was living at Sandwich on Cape Cod) when he was involved in a court case regarding tenements in the Tything of Saltford. and our George Allen was already in America.

Another possible lineage (from the internet) for George is as follows (beginning with another John Allen as Generation 1 and going backward):

GENERATION 1:
Name: John ALLEN, B. ABT 1538 in Thaxted,Co Essex,Essexshire,England. Died: 1 DEC 1572 in Saltford,Somersetshire,England

Marriag: Elizabeth ALABASTER b: 1538 in Wix,Co Essex,England,England
Married: ABT 1557 in ,,Essex,England
Children
1. Thomas ALLEN b: 1557 in Saltford,Co Bedford,Somersetshire,England
2. Edmund ALLEN b: ABT 1560 in Saltford,,Somersetshire,England
3. Mary ALLEN b: ABT 1560 in Saltford,,Somersetshire,England
4. George ALLEN b: ABT 1568 in Saltford,,Somersetshire,England

Showing 31-60 of 495 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion