Project "overview"

Started by Erica Howton on Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 451-480 of 495 posts

Also this Mary Clark was probably not married Nathaniel Greenwood , There is a Mary Mary Frary ,d/o Samuel Allen and Ann Whetmore , that was married to Nathaniel Greenwood.

The information I have on Mary Allen is that she is the daughter of James Allen and Ann Guild of Dedham,MA ?

I just wanted to let everyone know that I finally got a family tree put together for "real" George Allen who married Katherine Slarkes. You can see it here => http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=queenhithe

I haven't been able to find a spot for them on Geni yet.

Leslie

I searched your Rootsweb project under Slarkes and found Katherine married a George Allen, 1624, in London. He was a cloth maker. They had one daughter named in his will.

No one even close to emigrating to America, I take it?

And this marriage record being mixed up for many years with Allen's that did emigrate?

Correct Erica, Someone decided years ago that this George Allen who was a cloth maker that married Katherine Slarkes was the one that went to America and it spread like a virus! I still haven't been able to find a will for either of them.

I am in the middle of transcribing their son George Allen the younger's will and will post it when done.

Well how do you like them apples - if I have it right (a connection in North Carolina I need to research better, help appreciated) - this is a direct line for me, too.

Francis Allen is my 9th great grandfather. He married Mary Besse, step daughter of George ‘the Tyrant’ Barlow - she stood up to him & was sentenced to sitting in the stocks. Whoa.

Anyway I would love to help tidy down the tree & perhaps his siblings also?

How funny, Erica, to find that you have an Allen connection, too!

I joined this project because my mother's family has been working on our Allen line since the 1930s - and now it turns out that my father's family is descended from one of the *other* Ralph Allens. So I am descended from two of these three Ralph Allens - but I never would have known about the connection on my father's side if it weren't for all the work done by the collaborators on this project. Thanks, all!

So I've been nibbling at cleaning up some of the names etc & trying to validate my own possible line.

I'm confused about something.

Where exactly is the proof that Ralph Allen, of Thurcaston "Ralph George Allen" (note: NO MIDDLE NAMES in 1560's England) of Leicestershire is the son of John Allen, Gent., of Thaxted, in Essex?

Flying carpets?

And not according to Donald Lines Jacobus.

Are his parents known? Because they're attached to the wrong guys on Geni.

So I've been nibbling at cleaning up some of the names etc & trying to validate my own possible line.

I'm confused about something.

Where exactly is the proof that Ralph Allen, of Thurcaston "Ralph George Allen" (note: NO MIDDLE NAMES in 1560's England) of Leicestershire is the son of John Allen, Gent., of Thaxted, in Essex?

Flying carpets?

And not according to Donald Lines Jacobus.

Are his parents known? Because they're attached to the wrong guys on Geni.

I'm not sure how we came to that conclusion, but it's probably in this discussion somewhere. When I have a little more time I may feel like combing through 16 pages to find it. Maybe. lol!

Just checked Google Maps - it's 112 miles from Thaxted to Leicesterhire. Long, long, long ways back then. For the sake of argument, I will point out that it is possible that one or the other relocated - for instance, a young man might have had to go quite a ways in order to take up an apprenticeship. Not sure if 112 miles would fit that scenario, though...

What does Jacobus say?

Yeah, we've had quite a few attached to the wrong guys in this mess, that's how the whole thing got started...

Wow, just Wow, I just found this whole mess, and I'm starting in with Elizabeth Allen's.....

I'm being a total dork and adding "town seals" in New England to a central repository to help me disambiguate between similar named persons

http://www.geni.com/projects/Chase-Lane-Rundlett-Huntoon-and-surrou...

Help yourself!

To tag any of these images to a profile

1) click on the desired image
2) Click on In This Photo:  [edit] 
3) type in the name of the profile (hint: visit it 1st so it is more easily found in Geni's database for you)
4) click on the profile name in the edit box to go back to the profile

thats genius Erica Howton looking thru them for Dartmouth now....

Don't think I got Dartmouth yet but should be able to find & add.

Can someone explain the basis of this merge that was done in October? The surrounding areas weren't resolved, and I'm not at all certain the merge should have taken place. Help!

http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000012669482217?resolve=6...

I'll take a look Private User ....I was working I guess on my new-to-me ancestor Elizabeth Allen.....and this led me to that very confusing area.....

Thanks, Kris! After that one, I found several in that immediate family group that all seemed to have been done about the same time, and they just don't look right to me.

<sigh> This is the most confusing tangle of people! I'm on the wrong coast but I keep wanting to just stomp right into all the appropriate courthouses and other record-archives to just FIX THIS, lol! I know it's not that simple - just my frustration talking ;-)

@Samuel Allen of Braintree was the immigrant, He is related to George Allen of Sandwich, perhaps a nephew. This is proven by John Robb in the Allen Patriarch Project 2. This project is based on DNA results at Family Tree DNA. Some members of this project are descended from George Allen of Sandwich.
Samuel Allen of Windsor is the patriarch of the famous Ethan Allen of the Green Mountain Boys. Sam of Braintree and Sam of Windsor are not related. Sam of Braintree is of the R Haplogroup and Sam of Windsor is of the I Haplogroup.
Dick Allen
Allen Patriarch 2 - - http://www.johnbrobb.com/JBR-ALLEN-R.htm

Angus- My family records show that George Allen married twice. His first wife was Katherine, and she bore him three children: Samuel in 1597ca. , Rose in 1609 ca., and Ralph 1610ca. He remarried after Katherine's death one Catherine Starke (spelled with a "C" in my records). She bore him six sons: William in 1627, Matthew in 1629, Henry in 1631, Francis in 1633, Gideon in 1635, and James in 1637. She died in 1648. This information is from "Quaker Records by James Savage, "Genealogy of the Allens" by William Allen, The New England Historic Genealogical Society, New Bedford Public Library, New Jersey Genealogical Magazine #16, "This Old Monmouth of Ours" by Horner, "The Compendium of American Genealogy" by Virkus, and "The Swift Family" by Katherine Swift. MarkAngus- My family records show that George Allen married twice. His first wife was Katherine, and she bore him three children: Samuel in 1597ca. , Rose in 1609 ca., and Ralph 1610ca. He remarried after Katherine's death one Catherine Starke (spelled with a "C" in my records). She bore him six sons: William in 1627, Matthew in 1629, Henry in 1631, Francis in 1633, Gideon in 1635, and James in 1637. She died in 1648. This information is from "Quaker Records by James Savage, "Genealogy of the Allens" by William Allen, The New England Historic Genealogical Society, New Bedford Public Library, New Jersey Genealogical Magazine #16, "This Old Monmouth of Ours" by Horner, "The Compendium of American Genealogy" by Virkus, and "The Swift Family" by Katherine Swift. Mark

My family records show George Allen Sr. born in 1568 in England. First wife Katherine born about 1575 in England. Catherine Starke was born in 1605 in Woking, Surrey, England. George and Catherine came to America around 1630. Samuel Allen married Ann Whitmore. Rose married a man named Holloway. Ralph ("Stonemason") married twice: Esther Swift and another named Hannah. William married Priscilla Brown. Matthew married Sarah Kirby. Henry married Sarah Black. Francis married Mary Barlow. Gideon married Sarah Prudden. And James married a woman named Elizabeth. Esther Swift was born in Rocking, Essex, England and died in 1691. Ralph died in 1698. Both in Sandwich, Mass.

I would like to return to this discussion seeing that I am getting more private messages about it from Private User and also in this discussion http://www.geni.com/discussions/151459

First of all I would like to show the profile that we have always used as the 'Master Profile' known as George Allen, of Sandwich George Allen, of Sandwich

In 2008 another profile was added and is named George Allen, of Weymouth, Dorset George Allen, of Sandwich

Then in 2014 another profile was added also named George Allen, of Weymouth, Dorset George Allen, of Sandwich

I realize that the managers of the newer profiles would be tagged but I am still going to tag them
For George Allen, of Sandwich
Private
Philip David Reid Castleman has not been active
David Nicolas Huber
Private User
Lauren Ashley Perry has not been active

For George Allen, of Sandwich
C. R. Brown not active
Janet Anne Mata
William Arthur Allen

I am sure that we are discussing the same person so my first request is can we decide on the name of the profile?

Has the name of the George Allen profile been determined?
I have reviewed some of the Jack E. Macdonald record for my ancestors within the post at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jacmac/allen.htm provided by Mark and believe it is accurate for my own ancestors - i.e. #1 in Generation #1 (George Allen), #4 in Generation #2 (Ralph Allen The Wheelright), #26 in Generation #3 (John Allen), #110 in Generation #4 (Judah Allen) and #335 in Generation #5 (Ebenezer, son of Judah and his first wife Rebeckah Wing). Since Angus requested that a merge not be undertaken, if I understand him correctly, I am leaving that to him based on the input of others including me.

Thanks, Angus, for restarting this dialogue and including me since I currently have Ralph Allen the Stonemason confused with Ralph Allen the Wheelright. For clarity in all of our trees maybe we should call Ralph the Wheelright by that label.

"For clarity in all of our trees maybe we should call Ralph the Wheelright by that label."

Yes, please !

Thanks for supporting this idea, Erica. How do we reach consensus to use the label "Ralph Allen the Wheelright" for the master profile and to get that label in all of our trees?

What experience and advice do members have with recording crossover lines in a family tree?

Let me provide an example. One of my ancestors is Ebenezer Allen (1758-1822). His parents were cousins of one another. His father Ebenezer Allen Sr (b. 1731) married on Feb.5, 1753 his own cousin Mary Allen (B. July 5, 1734). Both Ebenezer and Mary trace their ancestry to George Allen through two of George's sons - Ralph The Wheelright (b. c1615, #4 in Jack Macdonald's post at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jacmac/allen.htm and George Jr (1619-1693), #6 in Macdonald).

As pointed out in part in my previous post on Dec. 8, 2015 one line descends as follows: Generation 1:George Allen (#1 in Macdonald), Generation #2: Ralph The Wheelright (# 4 in Macdonald), Generation #3: John Allen, (#26 in Macdonald), Generation #4: Judah Allen (#110 in Macdonald), Generation #5: Ebenezer Allen Sr. (#335 in Macdonald). Macdonald does not treat Generation #6 but multiple sources including Geni identify Ebenezer Allen Jr. (1758-1822) as the son of Ebenezer Allen Sr.

The second line also starts Generation 1 with George Allen (#1 in Macdonald) and proceeds in Generation #2 to George Allen Jr. of Sandwich (1619-1693), (#6 in Macdonald), Generation #3: Caleb Allen (1648-1715), (#35 in Macdonald), Generation #4: Richard Allen (1673-1731), (#151 in Macdonald), Generation #5: Mary Allen (b. July 5, 1734), #1166 in Macdonald.

So after Ebenezer Allen (#335) married Mary Allen (#1166), their children, including Ebenzer Allen Jr. (1758-1822) from whom I am descended could trace their ancestry back to George Allen through both their paternal and maternal lines.

Geni gives me only one line back to George Allen. Because George Allen fills two separate cells in the tree does that lead to any confusion?So my general question is, "What experience and advice do members have about documenting "crossover" lines in a family tee?"

Don't know if anyone has found this page yet, but I am posting the link here. I just stumbled onto an Allen DNA project page and it looks like it could be very helpful => http://www.johnbrobb.com/JBR-ALLEN-R.htm

Yes, your term "Triple dose of Allens" has a certain ring to it. I checked The ALLEN DNA Patrilineage 2 Project at http://www.johnbrobb.com/JBR-ALLEN-R.htm but am having trouble undersatnding all the technicalities. Have you done personal DNA testing? If you and I both had DNA profiles to compare I expect that the results would show us some interesting data.

Leslie, the Allen DNA Project is a very well-organized and well-presented project. It's wonderful to see the good ones.

You might already know this, but many people do not. For anyone who is new to genealogy DNA I recommend that you don't worry too much about what the numbers mean. The important point is that the numbers only become meaningful when you compare them to someone else's numbers. That's what this project is doing.

Showing 451-480 of 495 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion