Good sources besides the allegorical interpretation of the Bible?

Started by Erin Ishimoticha on Sunday, January 2, 2011
Problem with this page?

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 5 posts
1/2/2011 at 9:37 PM

Are there any good sources besides the allegorical interpretation of the Bible that Jesus had a wife, that she was Mary Magdalene, and that they had children? This IS a sensational topic, but I can't help but think that we (Geni as a whole) wouldn't allow this type of genealogy to be posted if the only evidence was circumstantial. I am referring to the source listed on Jesus's profile that Mary Magdalene is assumed be his wife because Jesus acted like a groom at what is represented as a random wedding in the Bible, Mary Magdalene is present throughout his life in many meaningful situations, et. al. If it where any other profile, we'd all agree more evidence was needed. Is there more evidence?

Jesus b. -4 AD, a year set by scholars
St. Mary Magdalene
his daughter Tamar, Demara (Sarah, Phoebe) born when Jesus had been dead for 7 years? Married to a well-known life-long bachelor?
Jesus (II) Justus (the Righteous One) born when Jesus had been dead for 8 years?

Not here to start a debate. Let's find sources.

1/3/2011 at 2:42 AM

You will not find such sources!!

Sure there are.
I have read such sources myself. You will find them mostly in the Gnostic writings and other non-canonical sources that the Catholic Church tried to suppress (and was mostly successful). I have no personal interest in finding them though.

I find it amusing how worked up people get over the very idea that Jesus was married. As you can see this is a VERY hot topic of discussion for this profile.

1/3/2011 at 11:01 AM

Here are a couple of informative links:

http://blog.beliefnet.com/markdroberts/pages/series/was-jesus-marri...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_bloodline

Personally, I'm disinclined to acknowledge any source that claims Jesus survived the crucifixion and had children later in life. This has nothing to do with any personal religious beliefs (I'm generally agnostic), but there's just too much solid historical evidence of his death to entertain every fanciful theory concocted over the last two millennia.

Having said that, there's no proof that he wasn't married PRIOR to his ministry and subsequent crucifixion, though it seems mighty odd that no written evidence of offspring has survived antiquity.

1/4/2011 at 8:52 AM

As a side note, even using only the more traditional lineages, it's still very easy to make a family connection to Jesus (though not a direct line of descent). Nearly all of the royal lineages show descent from the biblical House of David, of which Jesus is also a descendant.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion