Please don't mix mythological with real persons!

Started by Eero Gustaf Ignatius on Sunday, December 12, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-38 of 38 posts

Private User because everyone has an opinion, and no one likes to change their opinion (no matter how open minded they like to think they are) so when there is not clear evidence it is a matter of opinion and when there is a conflict of opinions there will rarely be a resolution to the conflict.

Now where I said "opinion" change it for theory, trend, expert and you start to see why this is a knot that will likely never be untied.

These profiles are simply too far back in time to be accurately included on a site like Geni, but even convincing people of this is impossible as these myths and legends true or not are deeply embedded in culture and identity.

As Susanne says, it is fascinating to read about but delusional to believe that you know the truth. There are scholars that literally spend entire careers studying these topics, and in there are scholars who literally spend their careers studying earlier scholars that spent their entire careers being wrong about the topic they were studying.

We can't even permanently spike myths about 17th century colonists, where the documentation is in general much better. People *want to believe*, in the teeth of all the evidence, that their ancestors were Special. :-P

Alex Moises Thank you Alex, your deduction was very wise, sometimes we believe that we are the product of a group of exceptional beings and in reality it is an illusion that feeds our ego

Alex Moes

I am well aware of of why it is an issue. In regards to these mythical profiles it’s supposed to be indicated. I have found for the most part that it is. Several of my lines go through these mythical figures. I find it interesting to find out the origin regardless. I can comprehend the fact that these profiles are not factual. I must add that you pontificating about how others can’t change their mind or opinions is applicable when looking in a mirror. Your opinion rings like a loud bell. In addition you didn’t even comprehend my point or even try. This is a debate not a sermon.

———————-

Below is such a distinction. Before I even get to the subject at hand I can’t understand how an MP historic profile can have absolutely no source material. Basically the only thing in this profile when I came across it was the picture and of the dates. Everything else I have added. I have made it very clear that it isn’t a real profile. I join and make projects to help make things clear for others. Most of the profiles I came across on my line did indicate that they were mythical. Although I believe it should have been indicated more stringently. Now of course mine has nobody attached to it but there is nobody who could be attached to it. This is an example of how it could be done with there being no confusion. It adds to the history of the profile which comes afterwards. Understanding that is their exact origin is unknown can easily be handled without causing a great harm to the tree. The same can be said for profiles for the likes of Jesus which are not indicated as being fictional. I have to add that to those who do feel it’s is factual how can you be related to Jesus if he had no children?
———————-
Pheidippides (Fictional Profile)

You asked a question I answered it, I'm not sure what you're taking umbrage to.

The profile you linked is an interesting read, I am not sure Fictional is the tag that's most appropriate but that is semantics, and a massive on going debate has raged for years about whether certain profiles should be tagged with certain words due to different user's opinions of the implications of each of those words. So there's that to bear in mind also.

As for the relevance, well as you say the profile you tag is irrelevant as it is not connected to anyone.

You ask how any user could be connected to Jesus if he had no children. No one on Geni is a descendant of Jesus, as you say he had no children, but that does not mean that users cannot be _related_ to Jesus through his cousins/siblings/grandparents/etc. So either you are being disingenuous with this strawman argument or you cannot grasp this simplest of genealogical concepts.
As for why his profile is not tagged Fictional, it might have something to do with the billions of people on the planet who in fact believe that he was a real person.

Åslaug Sigurdsdatter is your 44th great grandmother.

Which one?

Inglés: Kráka, Aslög, Kraka, Aslauga, Aslanga, Aslang, Kråka, Randalin, Wolsung, Leirja, Asloga, The Crow, Aslaug, Kraba
Queen of Scandinavian mythology, Warrior Queen, Høvdingehustru, Vikinghøvding hustru

Showing 31-38 of 38 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion