Bethia Kelsey (Hopkins) - can we break the parent link?

Started by Erica Howton on Friday, December 3, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 13 posts
12/3/2010 at 7:56 AM

re: Hester Kelsey

I repeating a point from the "public" discussions here:

http://www.geni.com/discussions/80793?msg=650791

made by Hatte Anne Blejer

"Erica Isabel Howton very nicely made her a master profile and included all the discussion about her lineage. It appears that this Bethia Hopkins should be unlinked from John and Jane Hopkins and have parents unknown (leaving in the discussion and the links)."

What say you all?

Best
Erica

She is my 8th great grandmother through my Stowe family and while I would like to know her lineage, it irks me each time I am related erroneously to someone through either Stephen Hopkins or John Hopkins since I know it is most likely false.

12/3/2010 at 8:37 AM

I figured the best way to do it was to email all the managers of Bethia and of John and Jane Hopkins and make the point and get their buy in. Of course I don't know that the information on the Kelsey family site is correct, but it feels like it is correct since it's based on public records from that time.

12/4/2010 at 11:23 AM

www.stagge.net/Site/pdf/Stocking.pdf

My own selfish interest is to capture the Stocking - Hopkins - Stowe lineage.

Samuel Stocking m. Bethia Hopkins. She was apparently the daughter of John and Jane Hopkins according to the historical records cited by the above source.

Their daughter, Bethia Stocking, married Thomas Stowe.

12/4/2010 at 11:35 AM

This is confusing I know.

The Bethia Hopkins who marred Samuel Stocking is the daughter of John and Jane Hopkins. She is my ancestor because her daughter, Bethia Stocking, married Thomas Stowe. My great grandmother was a Stowe. My sister is named for the Stowes in fact (Jayne Stowe Rubenstein), just as I am named for Hattie Stowe.

The Bethia Hopkins who married William Kelsey is not the daughter of John and Jane Hopkins.

Private User
12/8/2010 at 4:07 PM

I recieved an email in this line and I had Constance Dudley and Stephen Hopkins (the other parents) linked to Bethia. Since there is no viable documentation other than internet family trees with no real sources, I'm ok with it being gone, BUT, why is Bethia's father only a couple years older than she and then one of her husbands young enough to be her son? LOL

I had disconnected, and then it was only AFTER I saw the curator notes, so I reconnected back to the parents you guys had her with John and Jane. Sorry if you saw any strange activity. I was confused by the dates...please correct the dates. It looks weird.
Mimi
Geni Curator

12/8/2010 at 4:12 PM

Just to confuse you further, Mimi, there were TWO NOT THE DAUGHTER of Stephen Hopkins / Bethia's running around CT at the time. Aunt & niece, possibly.

I know I tried to source "overview" as I went along but Hatte, if you can do the honors on Bethia Stocking, I'll try and track down the other one.

Let's all be clear in unison though:

Stephen Hopkins NEVER had a daughter named Bethia Hopkins. It's an internet myth.

12/8/2010 at 5:01 PM

Correct, Stephen Hopkins did not have a daughter named Bethia.

There were two Bethia Hopkins.

MY Bethia Hopkins is the daughter of John Hopkins and Jane, whoever they were. She married Samuel Stocking and her daughter Bethia Stocking married Thomas Stowe.

The other Bethia Hopkins married William Kelsey. It's unknown who her parents were. She may be the sister of John Hopkins (I think that's right, correct Erica), but it's unproven.

12/8/2010 at 5:04 PM

I just looked at the MP which is of Bethia Kelsey. She was married to Kelsey, not Stocking And she is NOT the daughter of John and Jane Hopkins.

I will find the other Bethia profile and list it here.

12/8/2010 at 5:06 PM

Bethia Steele

This Bethia Hopkins is the daughter of John and Jane Hopkins.

12/8/2010 at 5:12 PM

I unhooked Bethia Kelsey from the Hopkin parents and from Samuel Stocking.

Private User
12/8/2010 at 10:08 PM

LOL You guys can have this section...too confusing! I trust you...they aren't my ancestors.

Private User
9/29/2012 at 6:47 AM

This is where I wish Geni had a method to identify questionable or (requires more research) relationships. Usually someone's initial research and best guess leads me to find the proper documentation and something more concrete. Something to indicate that this needs work.

9/29/2012 at 7:12 AM

As I remember this was not such a case but I would have to review the evidence.

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion