Proof of connection between Boone and de Bohun?

Started by Jonas Samuel Wilson on Sunday, November 21, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 51 posts
11/21/2010 at 1:06 PM

From the Boone Society:
Goals include to prove or disprove "documentation whether Daniel Boone (and thus his grandfather, George Boone III) is descended from the de Bohun royalty line in England. While the connection has been generally accepted for the past 200 or so years, documented proof has never been found."

12/2/2010 at 10:04 PM

Documenting this relationship would be a great goal for this group. Here is the path we have right now:

http://www.geni.com/path/Daniel+Boone+Sr+is+related+to+Humphrey+I+B...

Although he is a descendant, it is not entirely through the Boone/de Bohun line.

Col. Daniel Boone
George Boone, III
Humphrey "The Bearded" or "The Old" de Bohun I

12/2/2010 at 10:05 PM

Actually there is one - you can see it by looking at the path from his grandfather George Boone III:

http://www.geni.com/path/George+Boone+III+is+related+to+Humphrey+I+...

photo owned by Tamara Tucker Swingle
Private User
12/3/2010 at 8:11 AM

You beat me to it, Noah. But I can't seem to find a profile for Squire Boone listing Daniel as his son. Could the path have been severed somehow?

Private User
12/3/2010 at 8:18 AM

George III is Squire Boones's father, Squire is Daniel's father.

Private User
12/3/2010 at 8:21 AM

Noah, never mind. When I click on your link for Daniel, Sr. I see Squire is listed as his father on his profile.

12/3/2010 at 10:56 AM

Yes, there is a path in Geni. I was interested in documentation. It appears from the Boone Society research that this connection has yet to be proven. I believe that branch in the Big Tree is based on hearsay.

From the Boone Society:
"Brought to our attention by Yelton and Blackford is another clue of a Boone-de Bohun relationship which is found in a British periodical, "Notes and Queries," Vol II, Nov. 18, 1916, P. 412, which says, "Mark Noble states that Tho. Boone, M.P., to conceal his obscure origin, pretended descent from the Earls of Hereford. The arms certainly resembled those of the great Bohuns. The transition from Bohun to Boon can be seen in the parish register of Bishop’s Teignton, Devon." All this considered, "expert" researchers still seem to agree such a connection is unlikely."

12/16/2010 at 8:19 AM

The Boone tree is a complete disaster. People appear to have been randomly merging, mixing generations, fabricating dates, etc.
And still no one has come forth with any evidence of the connection to de Bohun...

12/16/2010 at 8:23 AM

Yes. It's going to take a very patient person to untangle this. I was hoping to get to it myself but I've run into several other projects (including my full-time job - can't wait to retire). Is the Boone Society link THE best source, do you think Jonas?

Private User
12/16/2010 at 10:23 AM

hahaha, Marsha, now you sound like me! Forty MORE hours to give to Geni!

Jonas, I hope you would be willing to copy and paste that message from the Boone Society, with attribution, on the appropriate profile(s), in the Overview. Such statements on the Overview -- usually the first part of a profile read by users -- will show that we are aware that lineage is disputed.

Private User
12/17/2010 at 11:39 PM

could we remove isaac crabtree form this part of the project? he was supposed to be in the boonesbourough project and i missed :( and i dont know how too remove him and get him to the right area.
thank you

12/18/2010 at 4:34 AM

Private User try going to his profile and choosing curator options under the more actions menu. Then just click the 'x' next to the name of the project you want to remove him from.

Private User
12/18/2010 at 9:43 PM

noah, i am not a currator, so that little dohicky doesnt show up for me :( --or i could just be blind, anyway i searched all over the profile page and cannot find it. i will just make sure not to make that mistake again and then we dont have to worry about it ^U^
thank you for fixing it

12/20/2010 at 10:42 AM

Kathy, I took care of it. If you have any similar trouble in the future, feel free to contact me.

Marsha, I have not found any credible sources that contradict the Boone Society information. It seems to be well sourced.

Maria, I will try to get around to that when I have some time. Anyone else is welcome to beat me to it...

3/1/2012 at 11:54 PM

Since the last male heir of Humphrey deBohun died in the 1300's, there is NO chance whatsoever of the name Boone or any corruption of it to be derived from, or related to Humphrey deBohun. Of course he has many descendants, but NONE with the name deBohun. All are descended from Joan Goshall or her sisters. Sorry to disappoint.

3/1/2012 at 11:57 PM

If someone wants to email me, I can send info about the Sieurs de Bohun, and their family tree.

Private User
3/2/2012 at 7:33 AM

I would be interested in what you have

3/3/2012 at 3:43 AM

Not sure how to explain this off the top of my head, but I'll try, and send a tracing from a properly researched book, and not a public genealogy source later.
There was more than one Humphrey DeBohun, and two had royal descendants. The DeBohuns originated in France and may have been distant kin to William the Conquerer. The first Humphrey came to England during the Norman conquest. He was given land and titles for his support of William. By making brilliant marriages, the DeBohun men gained more land and titles by right of their wives. One title was Earl of Hereford. Humphrey, the 4th Earl of Hereford was raised in the court of Edward I. Edward married his daughter, Princess Elizabeth to Humphrey with the stipulation that the DeBohun land and titles would revert to the crown. Humphrey and Elizabeth had eight children I think, and this is where the royal line starts....through her.
The titles Earl of Hereford and Essex, etc, were passed to their oldest son who, died childless. His brother William De Bohun, Earl of Northhampton( who was the fifth son) had a son Humphrey, who became the 7th Earl.
He and his wife, whose name escapes me at the moment, had two daughters. Eleanor, and Mary, but no sons. Thus ends the direct, royal, Humphrey DeBohun line.
I totally agree with Jonas Wilson above, who states that people fabricate dates and merge generations. I see it all the time on genealogy sites and blogs.
There is some good news though. The last Humphrey, the father of Mary and Eleanor, had a sister named Elizabeth. Her granddaughters are probably the direct ancestors of everyone here......including me. Please let me know if you'd like more info.
Ellie

3/3/2012 at 4:14 AM

Roberts, Gary Boyd, The Royal Descents of 600 Immigrants to the American Colonies or the United States: who were themselves notable or left descendants notable in American history, with a 2008 Addendum, Coda, and Final Additions. Baltimore, MD: Gen Pub Co, 2008. NYPL APK 08-4216.
If you trace a direct ancestor back to an East Coast state, you may find their family in this reference book. I have a copy of the book if you can't find one. ( It's quite expensive now I think.) There are many descents from Edward I.

3/3/2012 at 4:52 AM

The surname Morgan is definitely of Welsh origin. Before the Welsh used surnames, they used 'ap' meaning ' son of.' A man named William whose father was named Owen would be called William ap Owen which eventually became Bowen, which sounds and looks like Bohun. I noticed the area of the first Boone's birth is quite near the area called the Welsh Tract in Pennsylvania. Not sure if this helps.

4/13/2012 at 6:59 PM

All I really would like to add is that I find the Boone side of my family tree to be very interesting. My Grandmother was a Boone. I can trace her directly back to being related to Daniel. The rest of the family tree further back just fascinates me.

Private User
12/10/2015 at 1:05 PM

I'm a direct family member

Private User
12/10/2015 at 1:09 PM

My nephews are both Boone from the family line directly and my nephew is Charles. Daniel Boone ...is his real name Desendant .

Private User
12/10/2015 at 1:10 PM

It goes all the way back to Adam and Eve .I read

Private User
12/10/2015 at 1:22 PM

I guess that makes me a blood relative then. After reading that.

Private User
12/10/2015 at 1:23 PM

And my nephews are a blood relative too

Private User
12/10/2015 at 1:30 PM

I'm a blood relative and I remember them talking about De bohn

Private User
12/10/2015 at 1:32 PM

I remember squire I think too.

Private User
12/10/2015 at 1:33 PM

In fact I know they talked about it