Leofric III Earl of Mercia/Leverunia of Mercia

Started by Janice Weeks Hollenczer on Saturday, November 13, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 4 posts
11/13/2010 at 11:41 AM

If Leofric is stated to have had only one child, Ælfgar, according to the FMG, then who is Leverunia of Mercia? I could see in the fmg where she was located elsewhere, but I don't have a membership to open up the info into pdf for specifics.
I find this on another site: Leverunia OF MERCIA7,46,47,48 was born in 1034.50 Downloaded from Bradford_Taylor on rootsweb.com Parents: Earl Of Mercia Alfgar III Earl Of MERCIA and Aelfgifu Of NORTHUMBRIA. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~lzrslong/b3106.htm

Also:
Alfgar III Earl Of MERCIA [Parents] was born about 1002 in Of Mercia, England. He died in 1059 in Of Mercia, England. He was buried in Coventry, Warwickshire, England. He married Elfgifu Princess Of ENGLAND.

Elfgifu Princess Of ENGLAND [Parents] was born about 997 in Wessex, England. She married Alfgar III Earl Of MERCIA.

They had the following children:

M i Edwin Earl Of MERCIA was born about 1028 in Of Mercia, England. He died after 1070 in England.
M ii Burhheard, Of MERCIA was born about 1030 in Of Mercia, England.
M iii Morcar Earl Of NORTHUMBRIA was born about 1030 in Of, , Mercia, England. He died after 1070 in England.
F iv Ealdgyth Queen Of ENGLAND was born about 1034. She died after 1086.
F v Leverunia Of MERCIA was born about 1034 in Of Mercia, England.
F vi Lucia Of MERCIA was born about 1040 in Mercia, England. She died in England. She was buried in Spalding, Lincoln, England.

So, is she the granddaughter of Leofric III?

I can't find my way back to the original entry I found, but I believe she was associated with Oslac?? Sorry, should have copied that entry from the FMG where that little bit was mentioned.

Thanks.

Private User
11/14/2010 at 9:51 AM

Leofric and Godiva/Godgifu had ONE documented child, yes: Ælfgar of Mercia.
http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/ENGLAND,%20AngloSaxon%20nobility.ht...

The various daughters Lucia, Leverunia and a few others have by some Geni users been added as Ælfgar's sisters or daughters or other members of Leofric or Ælfgar's family, but there is no primary documentation supporting this, as you point out.

There ARE some private and probably highly dubious (unsourced) trees out there who list them as members of this family - but at this time these look unlikely. The rootsweb tree you link to is just a private users tree with no sources, and the anusha-site lists other wrong connections as well, so we can't use these as sources.

Leverunia seems to be a construct to link the Earls of Mercia to the Malet family:
Guillaume I Malet, seigneur de Graville
and Lucia/Lucy is a misunderstood link to de Taillebois and other families.

The REAL Lucy is here and belongs to another family:
Lucy Thoroldsdottir of Lincoln, Countess of Chester

We should merge together the different duplicates of Leverunias and the correct Lucias with fixed relationships, and also look out for sources - and if we can't find any better ones, the undocumented connections should be cut.

12/22/2012 at 2:50 PM

Skip Ælfga ane go via the Miss America the the MaletsMalet
take the numbered spouse line as shown below

(1) Leofric III Earl Of MERCI
-- Spouse-Godiva (Lady Godiva) Countess Of MERCIA

(2) Miss of MERCIA--
Spouse - Robert MALET

(3) Sir William Lord MALET --
Spouse Elsie Hesilia CRISPIN

(4) Alvarissa (Beatrice or Aelgifu or Alversa) MALET-
- Spouse - Thorold, Sheriff Of LINCOLN

(5) Lucia de Alkborough Countess of CHESTER
DAUGHTER OF (4)
Great Daughter 0f (3)
Great Great G Dau of (2)
Geat Great Great G Dau of (1)

1/3/2013 at 9:37 AM

I sourced this sippet of info from another source and will now have to go and find the original source. however the following provides the blood line as previously stated

Leofric, Earl of Mercia = Lady Godiva/Godwa/Godgifu | Robert Malet = (Dau. of Leofric) [Norman] | [English] _____|_____________ | | Durand Malet William Malet = Hesilia (Esilia) Crispin ____________________________|____________________________________ | | | | | Robert Malet Gilbert Malet [Dau.] Malet = Thorold Beatrice Malet= [Dau.] Malet = | of Bucknall Ribald Alfred of Lincoln | | Lucy = Ivo de Taillebois Alan of Lincoln By this construction, Lucy was the great-great-granddaughter of the famed Lady Godiva who rode naked through Coventry to protest the overtaxation of the people by her husband, the Earl Leofric of Mercia (d. 1057). Only one child, Beatrice de Taillebois, seems to have been born to Lucy and Ivo,[e] although many researchers hold that Ivo's heir and successor as Baron of Kendal, Ælftred de Taillebois, was also born of Lucy and Ivo's union.
If this is correct, Lady Lucy rather than Lady Gondreda would be the writer's thirtieth great-grandmother. After Ivo's death, Lucy married Roger de Roumare, [c] by whom she bore a son, William de Roumare
(b c.1096--d. before 1161),[c] who was made the Earl of Lincoln in 1141

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion