ancestors accused of witchcraft

Started by Erica Howton on Sunday, November 7, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 48 posts
11/7/2010 at 6:20 PM

Hey everyone, I've been running across geni family accused of witchcraft. Thought I'd create a project to keep track of them: eventually we'll break it out into subprojects. Please post your links to "your family witch" in this discussion or directly in the Project.

http://www.geni.com/projects/The-Witch-in-My-Family

Private User
11/8/2010 at 12:39 AM

I've only got pirates, Erica. Cannibal pirates... I'm witch-deficient.

11/8/2010 at 12:41 AM

OK OK are you going to make me open up the Pirates in Petticoats Project so you can do a Brother Project? I dare you.

Private User
11/8/2010 at 12:46 AM

Pirates in breeches?

11/8/2010 at 1:54 AM

I like One Eyed Scallawags better.

I double dog dare you now.

http://www.geni.com/projects/Pirates-in-Petticoats

Private User
11/8/2010 at 9:17 AM

I think I'm going to disappoint you, Erica. I'm still weak on the whole concept of projects. The word to me means having to draw up a Project Management Plan, putting together a Work Breakdown Structure, and keeping track of it all on some form of Gantt Chart. You know, the whole prevent scope creep and assign team members tasks sort of thing. I sense how you guys are running projects is a bit different (unlimited duration, etc.).

Always happy to contribute, but would have to delegate the role of setting up One Eyed Scallawags back to you, despite the two dogs...

11/8/2010 at 1:30 PM

Well the alternate word for Project was Topic. We groaned and said that means people will just talk about it forever instead of getting it done.

So feed back on the Pirate in Petticoats project overview. Entertaining? Too scholarly? Not scholarly enough? Too long? Not long enough?

Private User
11/8/2010 at 2:29 PM

Looks like you got all the female pirates that I could think of... (I think they were all around the 17th and 18th century, the ones that I knew about). I think that's all I really look at is content, because again, not really sure what the goal is other than to assist in getting the trees and histories squared away around them. Which is a worthy goal in itself...

11/8/2010 at 2:31 PM

Thanks, Ben. Let me know when I should start your not so Jolly Rogers project.

Private User
11/8/2010 at 2:41 PM

Angelina Joli? A pirate? Married to Thomas Rogers? er wait... this originally was about witches...

You know, New Mexico has tons of witch stories... I'm sure there are a few of their descendants in the tree somewhere... I think the last person to be executed as a witch was actually offed in New Mexico.

11/8/2010 at 3:59 PM

Really, not Texas? <ducks>

A New Mexican witch would be awesome to find. My idea was to "go global" and reflect accused witches across the world.

And of course all my Scottish witches need to get in there.

Private User
11/8/2010 at 10:45 PM

Oops... more appropriate here...

Not sure that's something I can help out too much on. There is the Scottish Witch Database that might be of help. I didn't see if you included that one or not in the resources for your Witch group...

http://webdb.ucs.ed.ac.uk/witches/

Does she have any ninja ancestors from New Mexico? That'd be a good place to hunt for witches... I would think that they even hunt witches there today in parts when things start getting boring. :) (And that's in the "Blue" parts of the state...)

11/8/2010 at 11:29 PM

Nope, I need your witch links! I haven't even begun to search (sidetracked by Pyratesses and Mayflowers and such ...)

Private User
11/9/2010 at 12:59 AM

That's the main one I got...

I hear you on the sidetracking... only today did I find my long lost Ostrogoths, and now I'm trying to get them all merged in and cozy. I'll have them ready to master page in about a day...

11/9/2010 at 1:01 AM

Ostrogoths? <perks ears> Were they rapacious and such? Be sure and pimp a profile when ready so I can see my relation. I just know it's a grand papa.

Private User
11/9/2010 at 1:36 AM

yep... if you have Hildegarde in your background, you have these guys as well... all the way to the time of Christ....

Private User
11/9/2010 at 1:37 AM

er... Hildegarde... wife of Charlemagne

11/11/2010 at 12:51 AM

And half of everyone european's related to Charlemagne it seems.

Private User
11/11/2010 at 1:17 AM

Yep, the other half of the planet is related to Genghis Khan, I believe...

Ben, 10% are direct DESCENDANTS of Genghis Khan!

Private User
11/11/2010 at 2:55 AM

And the other 40 percent, GEDCOM files? :)

Private User
11/11/2010 at 3:55 AM

Here is Genghis Khan of the Mongol Empire (one of them) by the way...

Private User
11/11/2010 at 4:24 AM

Born clutching a blood clot in his hand, as I remember. That's how they knew he'd become a great warrior, they said. But I thought he was born on the Siberian side of the present border between Mongolia and Russia.

11/12/2010 at 1:35 PM

Rebecca Towne Nurse is my 8th great grandmother. I've found connections to most of the people listed in the "Witch Trials" project. Will be interesting to see what develops here!

Private User
11/12/2010 at 3:55 PM

Will be going back to finish off the timeline on her as soon as I get through with the Ostrogoths (but then getting sidetracked on a lot of things lately - probably too easily sidetracked)...

11/15/2010 at 2:20 PM

Ooh! Ooh!

Found my Charlemagne link! Doubt I'll be able to find anything on my Mongol side as the only knowledge of that we have is the fact that my father had blood type B.

11/15/2010 at 3:35 PM

Say it isn't so!

Genghis Khan is your first cousin 21 times removed's husband's half sister's husband's great grandfather.

I don't know what the rest of it means but FIRST COUSIN is way too close for comfort. I'm moving to Australia. :) :)

Common link:

http://www.geni.com/people/Sancho-IV-de-Castilla-y-Le%C3%B3n/600000...

11/15/2010 at 3:36 PM

Trying the King of Spain again:

Sancho IV el Bravo, rey de Castilla y León

Private User
11/15/2010 at 4:56 PM

I'd like to be first cousin to Genghis Khan... then I could justify trying to conquer Asia... I'd even go out and try to learn how to ride a horse. :)

11/16/2010 at 3:55 AM

Ms. Howton, that's your cousin's husband's half brother in law's grand dad,
Not blood related. :D breathe easy.

Showing 1-30 of 48 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion