Why do we have a "Big Tree"? What is the purpose of it?

Started by Private User on Thursday, October 28, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 181-187 of 187 posts

OOPS - See now my comment above depends on my not having checked "Display Middle Names" in Name Preferences. If somebody has checked it, then what I say above is not correct. Sorry!!

There is also a choice to "Ignore Display Name", so since others may choose that option, not sure using Display Name would solve anything either.

Lois - I see your full name in discussions. That may be because at http://www.geni.com/account_settings/name_preferences I have "Show middle names" ticked.

Right, I have Show Middle Names ticked too. I wasn't sure if I saw your middle name because we were in the family group or because we are collaborators. Or because of your privacy settings.

So I guess I am wishing even more strongly that the Geni-Team would allow us to limit how much of our name we share with other Geni-Members - just as we can limit whether we show location, date of birth, etc.
Or -- go back in a sense to the way it was in the old Forum and be able to use a separate 'name'/pseudonym/handle in the 'Public Discussions' (and 'Help'), with a choice of whether it links to our Geni-Profile.

I really find it annoying when I come across folks who have pulled all their info so they appear as "(No Name)" - BUT .... (sigh!)

Hello,
I am trying to find a verified link between Robert and Isabella Potter as parents of Anthony Potter (1627/28-1690). Has anyone been able to verify this link? I see Anthony (a direct ancestor of mine) listed as their child in numerous places but I can't verify it.
-Anthony Maietta

Anthony - would you be kind enough to start your query from his profile? That way people can click right on it and see what you mean. Otherwise it's very difficult to identify the tree (100 million profiles on geni, and Porter is a common name ...)

I meant Potter of course. Not as frequent as Porter, but certainly more than one. :)

Showing 181-187 of 187 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion