for curators: my profile is good enough to be a Master Profile!

Started by Erica Howton on Thursday, October 28, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 1561-1590 of 1795 posts

Please consider Jacob Jans Moes for MP status.

Moeskoeckers are MP'd ... nice 'About' + Sources!

Thanks Dan.

Please consider Hendrik Harms Moesfor MP status.

(Jan's grandson, Jacob's nephew, i'll do his father next)

Terra cotta pots, and orange trees :) Is there a significance? Just curious.

Yes, the Description field of the photos explain the relevance.

It's not a terracotta pot its a porcelain chemical bottle (about 15 L), but it's the passing resemblance to a moonshine bottle that makes it relevant.
After all what kind of "mash" do you think the Moes were "kook"ing?

The orange tree is slightly more esoteric, orange is the dutch national colour and Hendrik is the progenitor of about 5 different Dutch family names so... orange tree (it's in my backyard).

Hendrik's uncle has a painting of the church where he was buried that Monet painted about 50 years later. None of my ancestors leave much physical evidence, no portraits, no busts, no castles. I'm trying to be inventive, the Grey on Grey default Geni profile is so booooring.

I sometimes go to Wiki and take a screen shot of the map of the town where they were born, and add that. The orange tree is nice :)
try here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/paintings/search all ok to use if referenced.
and here for portraits, usually only famous tho: free to use if non profit and cited with link to license.
http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/

Orange was the colour I chose for our Nursery, I had them all colour coded, so we could paint all our trays and get them back. 46 million trees, a lot of trays, so was important, not that I have them now :(....

What do you mean by Wiki screen shot? What wiki?

Our village has changed a little since 1637 so Google Streetview might be a bit misleading :)

I use this program to take a screen shot of the map, I like the pink and blue ones :) but, this page does not have such good maps where he lived. The is, in the page of the area:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midden-Drenthe a cannal photo, if you click that photo, you can save it and reference it as they show how at the page.

I use this program: http://app.prntscr.com/learnmore.html

and you can see a shot of the map here: George Duthy

you could do it with google maps also, I have found some nice shots of castles from the aerial view on google. That is quite legal to do :)

Hope this helps, shaz, AND I know what you are doing, yes, another addon to my project LOL

Also, when I add a link in the resources, as I did on your profile to take a screne shot, before I cite it, I save the image to my computer.

I am sure, as I am adding it, is ok to do, and, it actually encourages pages to be added and sourced this way.

But where did you get the map for George from?

We have a Canal keeper in the family so that photo would be good for him... now who was it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ropley
See, they usually have those lovely pink and blue maps :)
Then I just took a screen shot of it, I do that a bit, also helps me learn the geography of where they lived, as, it helps to know, as some families did not trvel far, and others, were flung all over the "new world".
Cool, most pics in Wiki are creative commons, so, ok to use if not selling them or so...

Have a Moesy here :) I think I hit "pay dirt"
http://www.geheugenvannederland.nl/?/en/zoekresultaten/pagina/1/Moe...

do you like some old maps of villages in Drenthe
for example
http://www.atlas1868.nl/dr/hoogeveen.html
http://www.atlas1868.nl/dr/zuidwolde.html

in the maps you can find the area, the place of their house/farm
in Hoogeveen, Zuidwolde etc.

... just as a gentle reminder .... all these "tips & tricks" are interesting, but specifics about particular profiles are best contained in separate discussions particular to the individual(s) rather than in this particular discussion about 'candidates for Master Profiles'.

FYI: Yes, once a profile is 'tagged' in a Discussion (i.e.: a link is placed in a discussion note) that particular discussion then shows up in that 'tagged' profile's Discussions Tab ... but it is simple enough to start a new discussion for profile/family-related specifics. Thanks!

And better then mentioning a profile here for discussion pertaining to details, because the information listed here will eventually be too hard to find or typical lost because of the amount of entries here.

Sorry, my bad, and noted, thanks :)

Sorry Dan,
It was Sharyn's fault, she made me do it.
Will you still consider Hendrik Harms Moes for MP.

Of course! (done).

Another Moes to consider please:
Jan Jans Moes

With respect, isn't it the bad profiles, rather than the good ones, which should be the priority for curator attention? For example, a few months ago I did a fairly comprehensive tree for the Trevanion family of Cornwall - not a common surname, lots of dates and place-names, etc. Any cuckoos in the nest should stand out very obviously.

By contrast, I'm currently doing the children of a William Cartwright in Nottinghamshire - William Cartwright of Ossington - in the late Tudor/early Stuart period. A common surname. The Visitations give him a son John who died unmarried. He has attracted on Geni two sons called John, both of whom had children, and one with a wife. Another son to whom I have given dates and a place-name has an unsourced wife not mentioned in the Visitation - not impossible, but I suspect improbable.

It is surely the"bad" profiles, or ones which have Smart Matches showing repeated mismerges in the past, which need to be Master Profiles to prevent contamination.

Mark

Great point Mark & in essence - different applications of the same software function.

We only have one kind of marker, the Master Profile designation.

So we're creative and use it cleverly, as a "reward" for outstanding profile work ... As a "merge guide" even when we know not a lot other than "wow, bunches of these! Let's make them one!!" ... And a disambiguation tool (2 MPs cannot be merged together).

The text box (curator Note) can be used to make it clearer perhaps. I tend to use it to describe more complicated relationships.

Could you please MP these, they are proven by DNA up to Michael and Ebanezer please see source doc in first profile.
As Mark sais, may same name.

I will fill in more details and add siblings and merge with other trees if correct to do so, but this is the main line to my Great Grandmother.

Thanks Shaz
Edmund Greaves
Thomas Greaves
Thomas Greaves
Thomas Greaves
Thomas Greaves
Thomas Greaves
William Greaves
Thomas Greaves
Stephen Greaves
Thomas Greaves
Michael Greaves
Ebanezer Greaves

Shaz: I didn't see any 'potential Geni Tree duplicates' along the way (yet) -- however, plenty of MH 'Smart Matches', which may help in 'filling out' that "telephone pole" (a phrase I read from another Geni member recently).

Not at all relevant to this thread but remember that without telephone poles we would have no internet.
Aren't allegories wonderful things?

What I have found on Geni is that trees which simply do parents of so-and-so may be very slow to produce tree matches (and when/if they do your atttention will be elsewhere). This is the case even with noble families where you would expect the title to prompt the computer to produce matches. You will be much more likely to get a match if you put in brothers and sisters as well. Even for noble families - how I hate that phrase! - Geni is still incomplete, although I know some people love filling them in. For example, today (purely as a result of my own stupidity in reading a clear genealogy, so I had to correct) I found that four Barons Willoughby of Parham were missing. So are some Berties, Earls of Abingdon; but at that point I mutinied, because filling them in was taking me further and further from the family I am researching at the moment (of course, some distractions are welcome, like if you dicover that someone was married to an ilegitimate daughter of Charles II).

The other thing about adding brothers and sisters is that it gives you some reality check on theancestors that you think you have. You may find that someone who appears on the internet as son of so-and-so has brothers and sisters attributed to him on the opposite side of England,,in which case you are entitled to be very suspicious.

I think the analogy is more like neurons than telephone lines. Everyone is connected, somehow. The good genealogists of the nineteenth century tried to make the connections, but you had to have a telephone operator who had to open another page to make the connection. So much easier nowadays.

Allogeries? do not know what that means.

I am filling them all in, and, went to aside to create a twig of a French printing family in Paris, that was not on the tree, found them in the oxford art biology site.

Was only saying the other day to my husband, If I had to site with bits of paper, or travel to record centres and sift through old manuscripts, I would not do this.

We are the lucky ones, we have it so easy.

Showing 1561-1590 of 1795 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion