for curators: my profile is good enough to be a Master Profile!

Started by Erica Howton on Thursday, October 28, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 301-330 of 1795 posts

Private User another cousin of my husbands:

Joseph Wesley Harper (Publisher)

btw, i'm a book lover too...worked in a book store for many years

another cousin (and he did write some books too):

Rear Admiral Bradley A. Fiske

I did, too. Although, I never took home much of a pay check -- just a huge pile of books! Long ago I dreamed of owning a cozy little used bookstore...

Private User i noticed you mp some more on my tree. thank you so much! :)

Yes. My curiosity got the best of me while I was merging up in there. I know you didn't ask yet -- being the perfectionist that you are I imagine you wanted to shine them up -- but I knew that they were accurate, had sources, and I wanted to nab them while I was there! What a fascinating family.

Private User all my husband's family is very interesting to research. so very different from my southern roots. i really do love the research and getting all the resources attached that i can. i guess you could call that perfectionism. lol!

It is Indy 500 weekend...can we make the reigning champion an MP please?

It could use more work, but I think it is good enough for now. Would be nice if he was the profile of the day tomorrow, Saturday or Sunday! (hint hint Mike Stangel!).

Woops...guess you need to know WHO that reining champion is, huh?

Dario Franchitti

Anita I'll forward your enthusiastic recommendation to the appropriate party. :-)

Not sure whose ear to whisper this in, so decided to start here.

Are we ready to add Geni links to Wikipedia pages? I would love to have one of the sources, especially on the historically accurate profiles, be a Geni page.

We're always delighted to find Geni links on Wikipedia pages, but I think Wikipedia would prefer primary sources.

Some weeks ago, I asked a question to Noah Tutak about Geni links on Wikipedia

Just an idea...

I believe that Wikipedia and Geni.com are very complementary. Wikipedia contains in the first place information about the life and the work of a (famous) person, while Geni.com focuses on the family tree. Of course there is always some overlap.

Now comes the request / idea: why not ask Wikipedia to add a 'View Geni profile' button on the Wikipedia pages? This already exists for the IMDB profiles (same issue here). Such a collaboration can give a boost to Geni !

This was his answer

'I believe that all of these links, including links to imdb pages, are provided by wikipedia contributors. I'd love to see more links to Geni on wikipedia pages.'

I checked some famous profiles on Wikipedia (some actors) and the IMDB an other links are at the bottom. The Dutch pages are better / more interesting: the template places the IMDB link in the right hand box (at the top of the page which is more visible).

Bill Vukovich
Pretty much fleshed out
Would any curator familiar with Serbia, Yugoslavia and Russia please see if they can add native names.
Thanks
Eldon

grandfather of my husband:

Aaron Sleeper

another grandfather:

Thomas Sleeper

Lee Arnold Petty still needs to be MPed. Soon I to make it around to Kyle. Haha!

Brittany

Done. He's my 16th cousin!

By the way I love the way you guys are taking the curves. Is that what you say in Nascar country?

I'm beginning to see Geni links on Wikipedia pages.

We all prefer primary sources and better layouts. :) :)

n.b. I want more architect MPs.

Lee Arnold Petty is my cousin too, which was a surprise! Wait until I tell my ex brother-in-law.

EH - post some links to where there are Geni links. I'd like to see.

Got 'em Lizzie!

Private User Thanks for the name changes on the Vukovich family. I'm still hoping for them to be MPs

thank you Private User

Lizzie - love the "del Coronado" link :) One of my favorite locations.

Hatte Rubenstein Blejer it is one of our favorite local beaches and places to visit. :)

Hatte Rubenstein Blejer

Made it into "references" section:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vien_(Rabbinical_dynasty)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skolye_(Hasidic_dynasty)

cool beans.

Anita M. Boynton

Now this is an interesting idea. Maybe use (one of the) existing Projects as a springboard?

Wouter De Boeck

I believe the Wiki Admins per language portal are responsible for their layouts. If you know any for the Dutch portal, probably worth talking to them about.

We should start a marketing discussion or Project or group of projects. There are smaller interesting sites for bios, music, blogs, etc etc - not in direct competition - that might be interested in exchange links and information. I'm always looking for reliable sources myself.

What Erica Howton? You lost me!

sorry - you wrote:

===

Are we ready to add Geni links to Wikipedia pages? I would love to have one of the sources, especially on the historically accurate profiles, be a Geni page.
===

I was thinking we might need to do a Project (or one of the existing Projects) to put together lists of MPs that are "good enough to be a Wikipedia reference."

AND Projects. Like "The Fast & Furious" project for a Car Category in Wikipedia.

Got ya.... Project number 2,544,964,289,546,248,875 started by Erica is on its way!

Seriously....we could take the About Me Cleanup list of finished profiles as a start...add them to a NEW project for a double check of data against confirmed sources (and make sure the data is sourced) and locking of MP (so it STAYS accurate), then we could add it to Wikipedia.

I know that a lot of the Signers of the Declaration and members of the Continental Congress profiles (at least the one's I worked on) have external sources for some of the data, but I am not sure it is ALL sourced.

Saying that, I am thinking a new project (Needs Full Source Info) that we add them to, take them out when complete and locked, THEN we start load in links to Wikipedia.

Thoughts?

Showing 301-330 of 1795 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion