• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member

Проекты:

Показаны все сообщения (13)
25.10.2010 в 5:21 до полудня

Why is it that some profiles like fx this:
Friederike Amelie zu Dohna-Schlobitten-Leistenau, Herzogin zu Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck
Have a indication (blue +) but when you click, there is no merge, but the profile still says: View her other profile and complete the pending merge.

Private User
25.10.2010 в 6:00 до полудня

becoz its an MP... only curators can amend them, i suppose

Private User
25.10.2010 в 7:16 до полудня

Get the same error and I am a curator.

We have seen this behavior on several profiles.

Private User
25.10.2010 в 10:15 до полудня

For me, it's been:

Adélaïde d'Anjou, (5 husbands), curator Anne M Berge - 5 instances
Boso, Count of Arles, curator Flemming Funch - 6 instances
Bernard King of Italy, curator Ofir Friedman - 1 remaining instance

Four Bernards went away from the Merge Center today, which could mean that Ofir dealt with them (accepted/rejected/whatever). Or it could mean that the Geni server is possessed by demons. Hard to tell which.

It is kind of annoying to have these profiles still sitting in the merge pending box after weeks of sitting there (particularly Adelaide). I mean you try to address merge requests quickly because you want the tree fixed, you drop everything to carefully consider all the relationships and dates, and then these profiles just sit there. Whether it's a system flaw or someone freezing the profile to "fix" it... if it's frozen for fixing, it doesn't take that long to fix a profile. I could have inserted Adelaide's life story, and the life story of all her nearest relatives (including all five husbands), in the time that it's been sitting in my Merges Pending.

Also, been running into new problems - hung Data Merges (7 of them now - no matter how many times you make your selection and press save changes, the pending merges stay - driving me nuts), Tree Merges that, once you make your selection, turn around a say that you can't do that because you are splitting the tree, and then remain in your Tree Merge box afterward (used to be they didn't make the Tree Merge queue until the merge was actually ready to be dealt with - or at the very least, when once you've merged out all the duplicates and run into the Tree Split warning, it disappears from your Merge Pending box).

This of course is just venting, and it's probably not particularly constructive (I usually figure it better to just move on to another part of the tree until the programmers finally "smite" the demon), but this is the place to vent it seems to me.

Okay, back to research for me...

Private User
26.10.2010 в 2:41 до полудня

You can have lots of thoughts of how merging could be more effective.
However the real problem, as I see it, is that there is end of the merges even if we merge 125 k per week. And with every merge there is a potential chance of adding failures into the tree.
I thought that putting in MP:s into tree would help. But since the profile and its branch is normally not locked the MP:s branches are soon "polluted".

I think we have to find a way to create Master branches that are robust with
all (good or bad) merges.

One way is to start from some well established brances i.e. Cerdic of Weesex, Garier (Ercchinoald) of Burgund, Arnulf of Metz, Charibert Robertiner. When merging with these branches your own upward branch will be replaced by the Master branch.
When merging and correcting the downward branch you enlarge the Master branch and the above rule will be applied to that generation.

By working in such a way with the right software support we would:
1. Eliminate faulty merges.
2. Decrease gradually the number of merges
3. Help Geni members establish a correct geni line
4. By eliminating duplicates once for all improve the performance
5. Use resources on increasing the tree in stead of a never ending work of correcting it.

26.10.2010 в 12:29 после полудня

What happens when a branch doesn't reach an upward branch, because not enough information is known about the family???

Do those family profiles become a master profile on their own??

26.10.2010 в 12:37 после полудня

I agree with Ben. I have been having issues with the Data Conflicts. I will pick my information, but the profile still sits there as if I haven't done anything with it. Although I can see that the information has changed.

I now have 110 Data Conflicts and 1 Profile Merge. The Profile Merge won't go away either. I can't see what it is for. The manager of profile is "Drågen" the Name says "account deleted."

26.10.2010 в 2:32 после полудня

I heard there is a fix for the data conflict error messages being tested right now and should be deployable soon.

Private User
26.10.2010 в 2:52 после полудня

Hi Alice: I think that's the downside of the collaboration model. A person can add a bunch of garbage profiles at the top of the tree, and because others are too cautious to add a competing better-researched-but-not-adequately-proven profile, you end up with a lot of weird lineages in the way-back. Not sure what I'd suggest to resolve that. Guess that goes into the "future problem to think about" bin.

27.10.2010 в 12:32 до полудня

Got this answer from Help today:

Thanks, we are aware of the issue and hope to have it resolved shortly. Sorry about any inconvenience.

Private User
27.10.2010 в 3:27 после полудня

I finally managed to clear out all my Data Merges, yes! Yes!

I still have a couple hung Tree Merges, 3 phantom Merge Requests, and 12 Merge Requests of the Living Dead (merges that although have been addressed have nonetheless not been processed because either the profile is frozen or another person hasn't acted on their merge request yet or something), but at least I'm under 20 Merge Issues again. Time to celebrate!

Private User
27.10.2010 в 3:47 после полудня

Yay Ben!

28.10.2010 в 7:32 до полудня

Kære Maria!
Grundet givne omstændigheder er jeg nødt til at stoppe mit arbejde på mit stamtræ indtil videre. Jeg håber, at du finder ud af det.
Med venlig hilsen
Alfred

Показаны все сообщения (13)

Зарегистрируйтесь или войдите в систему чтобы участвовать в этом обсуждении