Nancy Hanks Lincoln (1784-1818)

Started by Erica Howton on Sunday, October 24, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 61-71 of 71 posts

Thomas Hanks married Elizabeth Ryan, Lucy Hanks married Henry Sparrow, Elizabeth Hanks married Thomas Sparrow, Nancy Hanks married Levi Hall, Mary (Polly) Hanks married Jesse Friend, Joseph Hanks married Polly Young, I believe Charles didn't marry, and I know I have Joshua Hanks information somewhere, but can't find it at present. I know he had a large family! There are no Boones in the family, either. There are plenty of Lee connections. Do you want the children of Thomas hanks, also? not sure which generation you are looking for.

The Hanks family is English, the marriages seem to be also of English descent. A darker complexion seem to be the norm, in the family, especially if we spend a great deal of time outside, like farming. When my sister served in the Army, people would come up to her and speak hispanic! She has brown eyes, black hair, and was tan from all her training in the sun. I also have black hair, but greenish eyes, so I don't suffer that fate. The three generations before me, that I knew while they were living, also had black hair and darker complexion. No, Nancy Hanks wasn't anything but English.

thomas Hanks and Elizabeth Ryan had 8 children, Joseph Hanks, born before 1795, married Margaret Alexander, served in the war of 1812, and had two daughters, Peter Hanks, born 3-1-1796, married Rachel Hazen, and died on 7-19-1883. He was the father of Thomas, Smith, William, Rachel Miriah, Simon, John Paul, and Elizabeth. and resided in Logan Co., Ohio. Absalom and Solomon were twins, born on Dec. 6th, 1800. Walter Hanks and I are decendents of Absalom, and Jon Bidwell is a Solomon decendent. We all talk to each other regularly. Absalom married Harriet Climer, and I have a list of 14 children, Solomon also had 14 children, and died on Jan. 21st, 1892. Isaac Hanks was born in 1803, and married Margaret Raypole, and resided in Ross Co., Ohio. William Hanks was born in 1805, and married Margaret thompson on June 1st, 1826. Yes there are 3 daughter-in-laws named Margaret! Nancy Hanks was born in 1813, and died on Oct., 12th, 1842. She married William Henry Ellinger, and was the mother of Joseph, Sarah Jane, Mary, Eliabeth, and Nancy Ann. Sarah Hanks, born in 1810, married Artemus Cunningham in 1830. Yes, I do have the names of those 28 children, of the twins!

Nancy Hanks Lincoln's mother was Lucy Hanks, and she was the daughter of Joseph and Anne Lee Hanks. Lincoln stated her father was a well bred plantation owner. Abraham Hanks was actually married to Lucy Jennings, and had one living son. Adin Baber's book is about as wrong, as it gets. The Shipley thing is also completely wrong. Neither used documentation.

Vicky Paulson here. The proof that there was no James Hanks in contained in the two census records of Hampshire County, Virginia. One is from 1782 and the second 1784. Both state the family had 5 sons, and 4 daughters, two adult parents. The documented sons are Thomas, William, Joseph, Joshua, and Charles. He could not be born later, as Nancy Hanks was born in 1784. The 4 documented daughters are Lucy, Mary (Polly), Nancy, and Elizabeth. If Lucy were not his daughter, this would read 3 daughters. If there was a James, there would be 6 sons. So, by using these documents, there is no reasonable doubt that Lucy was his daughter, and there is no James Hanks, in this family of Joseph and Anne Lee Hanks.

Thanks for watching out for the Joseph Hanks family, Vicky. I've removed the TWO extraneous James from Joseph & Anne's family.

"Samuel Moody Grubbs, a descendant of the Boone Family Pg. 536" Please see the document that I put up today. This account uses the Shipley surname.

Which profile did you reference that document to, Erich? I don't see it linked to the profile for Samuel Moody Grubbs, I.

Daniel Boone has been published and is provable that he was physically traveling with several other famous scouts of the time and Abraham Hanks (which is how a lot of the later Hardin County crew met: The Boone’s and the Long Knives. Funny story, google it.) Daniel Boone said that was her father.

https://archive.org/details/hanksfamilynancylinc_0

https://archive.org/stream/hanksfamilynancylinc_0#page/n4/mode/1up

“Rumors regarding Lincoln family origins disproved”

What’s the date of the news article ?

Earliest date is Feb 1934.

Showing 61-71 of 71 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion