This is not the John Proctor of the Salem witch trials.

Started by Private User on Sunday, October 17, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 9 posts
Private User
10/17/2010 at 10:03 PM

This does not appear to be the correct John Proctor.
According to historical documentation John Proctor of the Salem witch trials had a Brother named Benjamin NOT Joshua.
Additional research shows that this John's brother Joshua Proctor is actually the son of a George Proctor of Jamestowne VA.
George's lineage seems to follow close to the John Proctor line here but with birth and death dates different.
I have verified the John-George-Joshua line from more than one source.
I therefore must conclude that this particular John Proctor is definitely not the man of Salem history.

10/17/2010 at 10:46 PM

So Wikipedia has it wrong on their listing? You should get in there and correct the Wiki page!

I'm "untagging" him from the Project and putting your comment in as a "curator" note that floats on top of the profile. Many thanks for the catch.

10/17/2010 at 10:49 PM

Is this the John Proctor of the Salem Witchcraft Trials?

John Proctor, Salem Witch Trials

photo owned by Tamara Tucker Swingle
Private User
11/13/2010 at 7:18 AM

Erica, I think the John Proctor MP with your curator note that it's not the John Proctor of the trials, is in fact, John Proctor II who I have a MP for. I did some work on the Proctor tree this morning and discovered there were, in fact, 2 different Proctor families snarled together. Someone had a second wife for John Proctor, Sr. maiden name Hildreth (I think Jane) who was actually married to Robert Proctor. I don't know how he's related to the Salem Proctor family. But many of their children had the same first names, birth dates differing by roughly 10 years. I have Jane Hildreth and Robert together now, and no longer married to John Sr. I'm starting to unsnarl the children.

Private User
11/13/2010 at 7:19 AM

Is it OK if I merge the 2 MP's for John Proctor?

11/13/2010 at 12:10 PM

Please do. Take off one MP first. Take the wrong John Proctor out of the witch trials project too.

Thank you Tam!

P.S. Did you see there's a "Classical Composers" Project going?

Private User
11/13/2010 at 12:27 PM

No, I didn't see the Classical Composers project. That's where a couple of profiles I put under Artists should be.
Is there a project where John Dewey would fit? Even though he wrote several books on philosophy, I don't feel Artists really is his niche.

11/13/2010 at 1:02 PM

There is a Philosopher project as well and John Dewey would certainly fit there.

"Search Projects" went live yesterday!

http://www.geni.com/projects/Great-Composers-of-Classical-Music
http://www.geni.com/projects/Prominent-Historians-and-Philosophers

10/19/2013 at 1:35 PM

Well, his Wives and Mother here are correct, so I think this is the right John Proctor, but i think many of the descendants here are wrong though, i don't recognize many of them. - I am one of his direct descendants. The spelling changed in my line from "or" to "er" When the family moved to Gloucester, MA in 1768.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion