Odin - source separation?

Started by Harald Tveit Alvestrand on Wednesday, October 13, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 61-78 of 78 posts

Some sagas present a very realistic picture, including those listed in the referenced article. Others (Hervarar saga, the saga about Sigurd Fafnisbana) have a high occurence of magical elements (people turning into wolves and so forth). It may not be an accident that those are also the sagas that have the most problems being consistent with the other sagas.

This is off-topic, but for anybody interested, I have cleaned up his "About Me" section.

Odin, {Norse God}

There is a section of text in the About under a hyperlink to Encyclopedia Britannica, the text in the About pretty much contradicts the EB article so either EB have changed their editorial stance or the text is wrongly attributed. Either is possible, no way of knowing.

Family Bury is a link very first ancestor bury is my 5th cousin.

Family Bury my 5th cousin and 1 ancestor pdin bury and he is sweedish denmark bloodline.

Harald Tveit Alvestrand -- back to the original question:

I've done a couple of things, depending on how the sources are working. Beli Mawr, the Welsh Sun God, has a pretty clear lineage, so he has one tree, with his various relations, detached and isolated, all master profiles, and labelled either mythological or fictional, I forget which, and the main text added to the suffix -- in this case the Mabinogion.

On the other hand, King Arthur has LOTS of different stories, with different genealogies, so in that case, I created several different King Arthurs, with their various texts -- Early Welsh, Vulgate, Malory, and the like -- showing where that version of Arthur comes from, each tree detached, isolated, all master profiles labelled fictional.

Now, as with the Nordic texts, there are places where the real Welsh tree composed of humans connects to the fictional Arthurian tree composed of fictional people (if there was a King Arthur, we do know know to whom he was connected). So, in that case, I disconnected the Arthurian line from the Tree of Humans, and in the profile of the human fictionally connected to the Arthurian tree, put in notes and links to the detached tree.

Same thing in the Irish -- the reliably human tree morphs into a not so verifiable tree full of magic people -- detached, isolated, labeled fictional, notes and links added.

So that way the mythological ancestors (whom our earlier ancestors believed were their ancestors) are on Geni, but not connected to current humans. And the information about the early medieval genealogies and legends kept.

for what it's worth.

!! (if there was a King Arthur, we do NOT know to whom he was connected).

I remember following this thread when it was being posted, the good old days.

https://www.geni.com/discussions/82649?msg=915710 is probably the best summary if you're not going to read them all.

King Arther was Tudor prince brother of henry VIII

Monika — Henry VIII did indeed have an older brother named Arthur. He was never king, however. He was Prince of Wales, and died at the age of 15, four years before his father died.

Its the same prince arthur

Tudors are clan macarthur

I have the prove my ydna showing tudors

And there is prince arthur and his also his clan macarthur ...eboracum was prince arthur celtic york gladiator ...

Ah.

eboracum -> Yorvik -> york

See it is relevant to Odin in a very tangential way!

Odin had many kids and few wifes...one of odin son was king arthur,odin father was burry and his father is going into family Von Bysmark.

the correct phrasing is "there are many stories claiming that someone was a son of Odin" (giving citations on which particular story you're referring to for each particular example).

Showing 61-78 of 78 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion