Witherspoon Family

Started by Private User on Thursday, October 7, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 14 posts
Private User
10/7/2010 at 11:51 PM

I recently obtained a copy of "The History and Genealogy of the Witherspoon Family (1400-1972)" by Joseph Bailey Witherspoon through an interlibrary loan. The book draws on 40 years of genealogical research of the author and draws on 200 years of research by others. The book only covers individuals with the surname Witherspoon (except for the earliest listings, which have other spellings) and the authors admits that literally thousands of Witherspoons are omitted.

If you have any questions on the Witherspoon family, post here and I will try to answer them. I do not have much time to work on this, and, strangely, the index is not entirely alphabetical, but I will do the best I can.

I will also check my line on the Witherspoons for errors (the first listed Witherspoon, Alexander Wetherspun is my son-in-law's 16 great grandfather) and try to do some merging along the line.

It is due on 11/15/2010, but is renewable. Since I am the first person to check it out in 17 years, I may be able to keep it for a while, but you never know.

10/8/2010 at 12:00 AM

Gary,

By an odd coincidence geni released today a new module called projects. You can't quite read about it yet but it has been started here:

http://www.geni.com/projects

We have a right called "collaborator" that gives you "curator" rights to all those associated Master Profiles.

As a curator I would be more than happy to be your project sponsor and get it started, although it takes a team effort to build out Master Profiles correctly. :)

Private User
10/30/2010 at 10:46 PM

I am declaring victory for the Wetherspun Family Project. The object of this project was to create a clean tree of the descendants of Alexander Wetherspun. All known descendants with the surname Witherspoon, their spouses, and children have been sourced and annotated for 11 generations, with some excursions up to 14 generations (where the Witherspoons enter my extended family tree). To my knowledge, there are no longer duplicate profiles of these people in the Big Tree.

There are a few places where the links do not correspond to my primary source information (see original post). In general, they have been left in place with an annotation. A number of clear errors were corrected, and in one case a link was broken where there was overwhelming evidence that it was incorrect.

Two notables are John Knox Witherspoon, a signer of the Declaration of Independence and President of Princeton University (11th generation) and John C. Breckinridge, a Vice-President of the United States (14th generation). Also John Knox, the founder of Presbyterianism, was given honorary membership in the project since one of his granddaughters married an 8th generation descendant.

10/30/2010 at 10:48 PM

Congrats Gary well done..

10/30/2010 at 10:48 PM

That is fantastic!

Congratulations, Gary.

Now we have to hock Geni for the ability to *close* a project. :)

Best
Erica

10/30/2010 at 10:49 PM

Noah Tutak

Calling your attention to this discussion.

Proof that the Project -- and collaboration -- work.

Private User
10/30/2010 at 11:05 PM

Congrats! That is fantastic, Gary. This is the sort of thing many of us envision for Geni. Research, collaboration and unified branches on the tree.

10/30/2010 at 11:12 PM

For fun I checked the connection between Alexander Witherspun and myself.

Our common ancestor is:

Dame Mariote Douglas, Countess of Glencairn

Private User
10/30/2010 at 11:53 PM

Erica, this is probably a long shot, but there was one Cunningham who married a Witherspoon. Check out Ida Grigg Cunningham.

10/31/2010 at 6:53 AM

Good work. I doubt any of our common relatives fits into this project though.

10/31/2010 at 6:53 AM

Good work. I doubt any of our common relatives fits into this project though.

10/31/2010 at 10:08 AM

YAY!
Congratulations!!!

10/31/2010 at 5:16 PM

Mazel tov!

10/31/2010 at 7:20 PM

Gary,

Miss Ida Ida Grigg Cunningham has opened quite the Cunningham can of worms for me.

I haven't finished inputting the "500 Cunninghams of Virginia" she belongs to or gotten my exact relationship nailed down (we are definitely of the same clan), but I did discover this fascinating common relation:

Phebe Cunningham

Freed's famous citizen is Phebe (sometimes spelled Phebe) Tucker Cunningham.

"Historian Norma Knotts Shaffer says more people than you can imagine have used their heritage to Cunningham to become Daughters of the American Revolution, with a Grantsville chapter named after Phebe.

The account of the life of Thomas and Phebe Tucker Cunningham is well-chronicled in Alexander Scott Withers' history "Chronicles of Border Warfare," first published in 1895.

In 1785 six Indians [n.b. from another source: Shawnee] came to their cabin along the West Fork River (Harrison County) and entered Cunningham's cabin while he was away.

Phebe tried to protect her four children, but one of the Indians "raised his tomahawk and sunk it deep into the brains of one of the children (two-year-old Walter), throwing the body into the backyard, ordering Phebe to follow after them." Phebe then expected to he slain with her infant, but the Indians took them. After three years of captivity she was ransomed by Simon Girty and managed to make her way home to recall her tragic story and describe her anguish and grief.

Thomas and Phebe were reunited, but did not return to their farm. They had seven more children. ..."

http://www.hurherald.com/cgi-bin/db_scripts/articles?Action=user_vi...

James Cunningham became a Mormon Bishop and took his family to Salt Lake City in a harrowing journey, as recalled by his son George:

http://lds.org/churchhistory/library/source/1,18016,4976-7431,00.html

The Cunninghams are descended from Lord Boyd. I mention Lord Boyd whenever possible because I believe he's a Charlemagne and everyone has him in their tree.

Robert Boyd, 1st Lord Boyd of Kilmarnock

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion