descendants of Robert First Lord Boyd (1425-1470)

Started by Erica Howton on Sunday, October 3, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 37 posts
10/3/2010 at 7:23 PM

I invite those of us with Lord Boyd in our family tree to study and make connections.

I descend through his grandson,
Alexander Cunningham.

Private User
10/4/2010 at 3:54 AM

Erica, delighted that you have started this discussion!! :)) The only path that is coming up for me at the moment, is via my cousin's husband, but I'm sure that my Ann Boyd must have been related somehow to the Portincross Boyds. She was married to my 5th g.grandfather, William Finnie, in Kilmarnock (1745), but at the time the Banns were read, she was living in Ardrossan, so the Banns were read in both places. My understanding is that William went to Kilmarnock from a place called Constablewood in Largs. I rather suspect that he had been living on Constablewood Farm, which for some time was owned by the Wilsons, as he was living in Stevenston in Ayrshire at the time of his first marriage to Mary Wilson of Largs. From memory, Mary died in 1741, and I'm not sure how or where William met Ann Boyd. Ann too, had been married before, according to their first son's birth certificate, but I don't know who her first husband was. Of course, the marriage of William & Ann was around the time of the Jacobite Rebellion. I find it most interesting, also, that my 4th g.grandfather, John Finnie, kept the Boyd surname as a middle name for his children, as did others further down. I'm pasting the path that Geni has found, in here, for your interest.

I do hope that others will join in here, Erica...and hope even more, that someone out there has information on my Ann!! :))

You
→ Muriel Mary Rumble (Morris)
your mother

William John Boyd Morris
her father

Emily Morris (Finnie)
his mother

Laurett Finnie
her father

John Boyd Finnie
his father

John Finnie
his father

Archibald Finnie
his brother

William Finnie
his son

Agnes Kemp
his daughter

Jessie Nelson (Kemp)
her daughter

T. Nelson
her son

E. Guinness, Lady Moyne
his daughter

Bryan Guinness 2nd Baron Moyne
her husband

Walter Guinness, 1st Baron Moyne
his father

Adelaide Guinness (Guinness)
his mother

Katherine Guinness (Jenkinson)
her mother

Katherine Jenkinson
her mother

Eleanora Campbell
her mother

Eleanora Kerr
her mother

Catherine Nugent
her mother

Elizabeth Kennedy
her mother

David Leslie, 1st Lord Newark
her father

Patrick Leslie, 1st Lord Lindores
his father

Grizel Jean Hamilton
his mother

James Hamilton
her father

Mary Boyd
his mother

Archibald of Nariston
her father

Robert First Lord Boyd
his father

10/4/2010 at 3:59 AM

That is an entirely different path than mine! So interesting.

I'm sharing a trick from the geni blog 23 August 2010:

Earlier this month we announced that we were giving all users access to enhanced relationship paths for the month of August. Last week we showed you how to find famous relatives in three easy steps. But what if you want to see if two notable figures, such as Barack Obama and James Madison, are related to each other? Here's how to find the relationship between two profiles:

1. Click the green thumbtack on the top right of the first profile (to the right of "You are connected to...")
2. Click the "How are they related? button on the second profile
3. Look for the green notification strip once we've found the relationship

It's that easy! The result will look something like this: President James Madison is President Barack Obama's third cousin 8 times removed!

You can use this to find relationships between any two profiles on Geni (that you have permission to view). Don't forget to click the thumbtack again when you are done to set our relationship calculator back to your profile.

http://blog.geni.com/

Private User
10/4/2010 at 8:04 AM

Is that working again for us cyber-paupers? I remember on September 1 checking to see if the tree around Charlemagne was still confused (if my 45th great grandfather was still "grandfather of the husband of my 42nd great grandfather's wife" or something like that) and then coming up on the same page that you get when you try to look at your 2300 tree matches. I had already checked out my link to Adam and Eve through King David (complete with a few 300 year gaps and a connection to the "Princess of Icenia"), so I stopped worrying about it and went to work elsewhere - and never clicked the blue button again. (Green buttons, sure - they still work for free.)

10/4/2010 at 8:19 AM

Ben,

Try it as a test in various areas. It would be nice to see if curator clean up is making a difference in the path statement.

10/4/2010 at 8:19 AM

But start a different thread lol.

Private User
10/4/2010 at 8:36 AM

Actually, I wanted to see if there was a relationship with Lord Boyd, and complain about not being able to track my most ancient managed profiles anymore. But I did try to see if there was a path to Alexander Cunningham. And nope, that function isn't available to us cyber-paupers. Oh well... back to the Quakers.

10/4/2010 at 9:33 AM

Here is my path:
→ Edmund Burk
your father → Josephine Burk
his mother → Isaac Price
her father → Margaret Price
his mother → Mahala Wheeler
her mother → Simon Wheeler
her father → Simon Wheeler
his father → Simon Wheeler
his father → Jonathan Wheeler
his father → Abraham Wheeler
his father → Sarah Wheeler Rice (Prescott)
his mother → Mary Prescott
her mother → Abraham (James) Gawkroger
her father → James Gawkroger
his father → Richard Gawkroger
his father → Margaret Field
his mother → Philippa Courtenay
her mother → Elizabeth Hungerford
her mother → Katherine (Peverell)
her mother → Margaret Peverell (Courtenay)
her mother → Muriel de Moels
her mother → Joane or Maud Lovel
her mother → Muriel Soulis
her mother → James Douglas, Lord of Douglas
her brother → Margaret Douglas
his daughter → Sir John Montgomery, of Eaglesham
her son → Johanna Montgomery, of Androssan
his daughter → Sir Thomas Boyd, 5th Baron of Kilmarnock
her son → Robert First Lord Boyd
his son

10/4/2010 at 9:48 AM

Milton,

Thank you for your path statement. We have several common ancestors at different points (Rice, Gawkroger, Hungerford, maybe more) .. yet our direct path is different.

Private User
10/4/2010 at 10:48 AM

Erica Howton Another thanks for starting this group.

You

→Michael John Dongvillo
your father

→Margaret E Dongvillo (Shearer)
his mother

→Florence Scott
her mother

→Eudora M Kimble
her mother

→Ransom E Kimble
her father

→Lewis C Kimble
his father

→Charles Kimble
his father

→Walter Kimble
his father

→Jacob Kimball
his father

→Jacob Kimball
his father

→John Kimball, Jr.
his father

→John Kimball
his father

→Ursula Kimball (Scott)
his mother

→Henry Scott
her father

→Joan (Johan) HOWARD
his mother

→Charles Howard, 1st Earl of Nottingham, 2nd Baron Howard of Effingham
her father

→William Howard, 1st Baron Howard of Effihngham
his father

→Agnes Howard (Tilney), Duchess of Norfolk
his mother

→Eleanor Talboys Tilney
her mother

→Walter (Walter & Margaret) Talboys, Sheriff of Lincoln
her father

→Margaret Deincourt
his mother

→Millicent la Zouche (De Ros)
her mother

→William la Zouche, 1st Lord of Harringworth
her father

→Helen (Ellen) de Quincy (of Winchester)
his mother

***** (End of direct lineage) *****

→Elizabeth (Isabel) Comyn (De Quincy)
her sister

→Marjory Comyn, Countess of Dunbar
her daughter

→Alexander Dunbar, of Wester Spott
her son

→Patrick V, 9th Earl of March
his son

→Lady Margaret Dunbar
his daughter

→Sir John Alexander Montgomery, of Eaglesham
her son

→Johanna Montgomery, of Androssan
his daughter

→Sir Thomas Boyd, 5th Baron of Kilmarnock
her son

→Robert First Lord Boyd
his son

Private User
10/4/2010 at 4:48 PM

Robert First Lord Boyd is Maria Edmonds-Zediker (Kremm)'s 7th cousin 15 times removed.
Maria Edmonds-Zediker
You →
Ann Louise Kremm (Salter), your mother →
Lafayette "Lafe" Salter, her father→
Sarah Jane Salter (Salmons), his mother→
John C. Salmons , her father→
Thomas Salmons , his father→
Frances "Frankie" Crisp Salmons (Carter), his mother→
Bailey Carter, her father→
John (1717) Carter, Jr. , his father→
John (1674) Carter, Sr , his father→
Katherine Carter (Dale) , his mother→
Lady Diana Dale (Skipwith) , her mother→
Sir Henry Skipwith Knight 1st Baronet Of Prestwoud , her father→
Sir William Skipwith , his father→
Henry (1539) Skipwith Esq. , his father→
Sir William Skipwith , his father→
Sir John Skipwith , his father→
Agnes Skipwith of Lincolnshire (Constable) , his mother→
Margaret de Umfreville , her mother→
Sir Thomas De UMFREVILLE - Lord Of Riddesdale , her father→
Thomas de Umfreville of Hessle, Yorkshire and Holmside, I , his father→
Robert Umfreville, II , his father→
Lady Elizabeth de Umfraville (Comyn) , his mother→
Marjory Comyn, Countess of Dunbar , her sister→
Alexander Dunbar, of Wester Spott , her son→
Patrick V, 9th Earl of March , his son→
Lady Dunbar , his daughter→
Sir John Montgomery, of Eaglesham , her son→
Johanna Montgomery, of Androssan , his daughter→
Sir Thomas Boyd, 5th Baron of Kilmarnock , her son→
Robert First Lord Boyd , his son

10/4/2010 at 6:44 PM

So far --

Associated surnames:
Hamilton
Cunningham
Douglas
Montgomery
Dunbar

Private User
10/4/2010 at 10:37 PM

I'm inspired here....so many rellies via the Boyds!! :)) I shall have to dig out all my associated names. Just a few here:

Crawford
Guthrie
Morton
Finnie
Carswell

Private User
10/4/2010 at 10:40 PM

Wow!! I'm finding all these paths so interesting!! All roads lead to Boyd?!! :))

10/4/2010 at 11:18 PM

Lynne,

I am so inspired to work cleaning up that line. If we get it straight who knows *who* we'll find, and all over the world.

So far you seem the most straightforwardly Scots LOL.

Private User
10/5/2010 at 1:46 AM

Thank you, Erica.........very proud of my Scots...and my scotch!! :)) It's because of the Finnies and the Boyds I am related to all those historical figures, Erica...I'm sure that once my line is sorted once and for all, it will solve a lot of mysteries right down the line!! ;))

Private User
10/5/2010 at 3:47 AM

http://www.celtic-casimir.com/webtree/20/40059.htm
Maybe this wll help. It might be wrong or it might be right. But it may help to delve deeper into the past.
------ ------
I see so many strange looking combinations in the Geni path leading from Robert to me. I have no idea if the path to me is now correct or not. ( My 15th great grandfather, hummmm ? ? ). Maybe someone can eventually figure it out ; - ) . I sure can't !

(no answer required)

Ann

Private User
10/5/2010 at 4:28 AM

Ann, if this is correct, then you are in good company!! Wasn't his relationship to Lady Di, pretty much the same? Unless my faulty memory is leading me astray, that is!! :))

Private User
10/6/2010 at 5:04 AM

Who's good at working out relationships?!! I'm hopelessly lost re: my relationship to Robert Boyd now, as I'm still getting the path via Bryan Guinness.

However, I've been putting in my 5th g.grandfather, William Finnie's, children by his first wife, Mary Wilson, and according to Geni when I check out their daughter, Janet's, path with Robert, I'm getting: "Janet Bruce is Robert First Lord Boyd's 11th great granddaughter". Janet is my 5th g.aunt. Where does this leave me, if it showed a relationship via Janet Bruce's path? I'm hopeless at math's at the best of time, and when it comes to working out these relationships....aaagh!! Help, please, before I go totally bald, tearing my hair out by the roots trying to work it out!! :))

10/6/2010 at 6:46 AM

One thing -- the database is reindexed a few (?) times a week, so you need the path statement to catch up with your new data entry. Also, my mad charge of cleanup :)

Sometimes I get some really nutty path statements when I try them, like this is your 10th great grandmother's cousin's wife's uncle 3 times removed. The geni people could tell you why it calculates the shortest path and comes up with this goobledygook. I just wait a couple of days for it to sort itself out into something closer to English, or is that Scots. :)

Private User
10/6/2010 at 6:22 PM

Giggling here, Erica, at your description, re: some of the wacky paths!! :)) I shall keep checking to see when Geni has caught up with my entries. :))

Private User
10/6/2010 at 6:24 PM

Erica, re: the "Scots" bit....I must confess that a lot of the really old books I've read seem to be written in a mad mix of English & Scots...."Scinglish"?!! :))

Private User
10/6/2010 at 7:41 PM

I thought Scottish was a mad mix of English and Scottish... Ah no kin...

Private User
10/6/2010 at 8:35 PM

Very funny, Ben!! ;))

10/6/2010 at 8:48 PM

You think that's funny, I have two profiles, but the profile that my wife is married to is the wrong me and I can't get permision from my self to merge me into me because the wrong me is my profile manager, and my colaborators are colaborating with the wrong me so they can't help, and even tho my children are my children, they are not related to me. So I asked a curator to hep and she could merge me with me. Yep, I have a work ticket on it. Mayme tomarrow I'll be me again.

10/6/2010 at 8:55 PM

OK that has to be a geni classic, Marvin!

10/6/2010 at 8:55 PM

Is it because you have Scots ancestry, do you think? :)

10/6/2010 at 9:12 PM

Can't be, because when I ask for my relationship to someone I find that I'm not even related to myself so how can I have ancestors!!!!

Private User
10/6/2010 at 10:58 PM

I think you need to talk with your curator, Marvin...

Private User
10/7/2010 at 12:20 AM

Nope, - Only Geni support can fix that because the other Marvin Caulk, (C) seem to be a halfway unclaimed account and it seem to be Geni staff who have set up the pending merge.

Showing 1-30 of 37 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion