• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 241-270 of 851 posts

Erica,
As far as I can tell, I can now edit MP's. That's good, but I can't do anything that I've been doing with these projects. With the wiki, I set up the project, change text, add profiles, put who is working on it... I can't do any of that now.

Glad to hear that Noah is for the notables series. I had sent him a private message a few weeks back with suggestions on notable profiles, but haven't heard back. I'm glad that Geni and the curators are working on all of this, but I'm totally in the dark about what is happening and I have ideas to contribute.

Sorry, but I'm not as excited. I can keep doing the wiki, but it seems pointless to do the same thing in two places.

I found another Mayflower resource that I hadn't seen before. It's www.pilgrimhall.org, a museum of Pilgrim history in Plymouth. Tons of facts, extensive histories, wills, documents.etc.

Dispatch from the front:

Thomas Rogers under siege. Watertown Thomas Rogerites attempting takeover of pilgrim Thomas Rogers. Need curator help. Merges not working. It's desperate. Mayday, mayday....

Can someone take a look at William Bradford, II? He has a bunch of dupes in his immediate family, including what looks like a marriage to his sister Elizabeth Forster. I'm trying to resolve her parent conflict, but need to get some of the surrounding family clear so I can tell exactly who she is supposed to be! Thanks.

I removed Elizabeth from being her brothers sister, but can't do much else because of permissions. The 3rd paragraph of this page has a pretty good write-up: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~meandros/bradford.html

I meant I removed Elizabeth from being her brothers wife

Do you know if her mother should be 1st wife of William ‘Alice’ Bradford or Elenor Bradford?

Question: does anyone know, or has anyone already looked up....

...how many descendants the Mayflower passengers had in the US by 1700? 1800? Is that something Geni can calculate for us?

I am also curious about population numbers back in the 1500 and 1600's. My family is having a hard time believing some of our connections. I need some statistics to prove it to them!!!

Looks like Alice Hanson (Bradford)

2nd full paragraph on page 207

http://books.google.com/books?id=KvUsAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA207&dq=w...

Hi Anita:

I think it's something that Geni could eventually calculate, the numbers of Mayflower descendants in different index years. Problem with trying to use it now is of course the mistaken ancestries and the pre-merged profiles. Getting anything close to an accurate count right now would be hopeless.

I was doing some clean up in the Holcomb tree and found my way to the supposed relationship of Mary Fitch to Major William Bradford. I found this article which I wanted to share that William Bradford was instead married to the widow of Francis Griswold as his 3rd wife.
http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/djw/williambradford.secondwife.html
I didn't do any changes, but here is the problem stack with some very different people in it., some addressed in the article. Lots to do and I will back off to work other places.

Meg,

Thank you so much for posting that here.

I've been working on Bradford, but I can't break a relationship and need help.

William Bradford, Governor of Plymouth Colony is the Mayflower passenger. His mother is Alice Hanson. His wife is Alice Carpenter. Somehow, he has the correct parents as one set of parents and himself and his wife as another set of parents. Could someone fix that?

Thanks

I'm having yet another moment of amusement. While looking up information on John Stone in preparation for time-lining him, I found the Stone Family Association page. Apparently they've been updating their information, as I found a rather familiar reference to his death. I posted some of my timeline material on the pirate/slave trader father of William Stone (third governor of Maryland - I believe the last Province of Maryland Governor I'm related to), and somehow it ended up on Plimoth.org. I'm pretty sure it came from Geni, as I haven't posted it anywhere else (other than on my computer and in online backups).

I think this is good news as the tree is starting to be recognized as a worthwhile source of researched information. Of course the thing to watch out for is to make sure that we don't end up with endless loops of secondary information that never reaches a primary source. I can see that one coming...

Pirates? Did someone say pirates or is that my google alert?

We need to get cracking on documentation, I agree.

Yes, the same pirate I was mentioning before but which you didn't comment on :)

http://www.stonefamilyassociation.org/index.php?pr=John_Of_Virginia
(My data is at the end.)

My kind of fellow! I feel a "bad boys of Colonial America" project coming on ...

StoneFamily and Plimoth.org quoting GENI profiles?

Hey, now.

Private User@bren

I think that your stuck untill some of the merges are finished, I broke the relationship in one profile, but there are others that need to be merged first.

Marvin, if you notice any big stacks, can you post the URL here and I'll merge them up?

Erica Howton@erica
Not that easy, there's some stack here some there, a bunch of unknowns and others. I don't want to start somthing in a place I know little abolt when I know it's already messed up. Right now some of the merges, if they're bad can be reversed. If I just start telling you to merge this and that without knowing that part of the tree it could get snarled worse than it is. I bow to someone with more knowledge of the tree there than I have. Thanks for the offer.

Erica:

They are using information, but not really attributing. A bit disappointing to see, but I personally nonetheless feel flattered.

Marvin, it looks like that did the trick. I know that Erica is working on the Bradford's too. Lots of progress has been made.

William Bradford is pretty amazing. Remarkable how he had a daughter when he was 280 years old - Olive Flavia Hamor

Marvin,

You're a fast study though and as soon as you're yourself again and not duplicated (this cracks me up every time I think about it) we have to get you going on as a project collaborator. If you have any ideas for projects you'd like to work on -- areas of the tree, whatever, let us know by thread or msg. And you can look at the existing project list here, we're recruiting help:

http://www.geni.com/projects

Ben,

You are a terrible influence on me and my brain is percolating with all sorts of criminal enterprise projects. You need to start a thread to keep them organized and not forgotten. For instance, I want to do a Gunpowder Plot of 1605 project. Apparently an ancestress married one of Guy Fawkes co-conspirators. This is too cool for me not to find out more.

Brendan,

Can you make sure the issue of the widow of Mrs Roger Griswold being married to Gov Bradford as his third wife be added to the Wiki? I'm not sure how we represent this in Geni.

Erica Howton@erica
Are you talking to me or the other Marvin? (I wish they would of fixed this before they went home for the weekend)

Whichever Marvin has your brains. :)

Gunpowder Plot. What was the film, V for Vendetta? Historically inaccurate, so I've heard, but certainly entertaining.

Highwaymen... goes well with the pirate theme. Was surprised to hear that someone did a musical rendition of the Noyes poem by that name. I used to make up my own songs reading that poem when I was about 7. Like pirates, of course, the truth is less pretty. I'm sure there were a few cannibal highwaymen out there as well, to go along with the John Stone types (remember, this guy supposedly fathered the third Governor of the Province of Maryland...).

New England had it's own "Dread Pirate" by the name of Dixy Bull:

June 1631, in present Maine, Plymouth Colony’s trading house on Penobscot Bay (present Fort Madison site near Castine, Maine) is attacked by the French. During the attack, English small vessel captain Dixy Bull, assigned to trade with the tribesmen along the fur-rich coast, is attacked by a French pinnace. His boat is captured and all his trade goods (English knives, trading beads and furs) are confiscated. He returns to Boston fired with revenge, and later assembles a crew of 20 “disreputable” men to start a career as “the Dread Pirate” Dixy Bull, at first in order to recover his losses. He originally intended to take back his goods from the French, but he finds that the English along the coast have much more to take and targets his fellow countrymen instead.

The old west had its share of bad influences too. Supposedly there was a Paula Angel that was hung twice in my father's hometown of Las Vegas, New Mexico sometime in the late 1800s (1880s I think). Someone wrote a poem about her too, really laying it on the judge who ordered her executed, though technically with the rope breaking she was supposed to have gone free. Oddly enough for a town that size, my family and hers were not related.

Showing 241-270 of 851 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion