Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 151-180 of 851 posts

Here is a link to the search results, looking for copies of "The Mayflower Descendant" in the BYU library. This was a publication of the Mayflower Society in the early 1900's focused on the families AFTER the arrival. There is an index of all names included in each issue at the beginning of each issue. Sources are referenced.

Hope this helps those of you trying to correct/establish lineage from the Mayflower down to yourselves.

Brendan...do you want to add this to the wiki?

http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm4/results.php?CISOOP1=all&CISOF...

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the info. I used The Mayflower Database by Lori Steadman
for Richard Warren. I did find mistakes on birth and death for
Nathaniel Warren II, son of Nathaniel Warren.

I shall probably refer to the Surname list in the future. It certainly is a gigantic database that seems to be carefully researched and combined
with the records of many Mayflower descendants.

Ethel Johanna Myers

Ethel,

Is this the correct link for the Surname list?

http://www.surnamedb.com/

To all....for those of you who are supplying different sources of web sites in the genealogy of those related to the Mayflower passangers, you have my deepest gratitude. Thank you so much, Great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great Granddaughter of STEPHEN HOPKINS, PILGRIM.
Karen

Karen,

Feel free to join the Wiki project! We'll get there with the Mayflower cleanup, and I think we can look forward to a day in geni with accurate ancestral and descendant lines.

I was looking at Thomas Rodgers my 10th great grandfather (nearly 10% of Americans can trace thier linage back to the Mayflower) I see that he has Grace Rodgers, Grace Coolidge, Elsgen Alice Cosford, Mary rogers, Elizabeth Rogers, and 3 others as wives. Now I believe that Thomas Was a puritan, and as a puritian, I doubt he had so many wives. Of course we can see that two are actaully a Grace, and so on. Anyone new who would just be finding this site and trying to trace thier ancestory, by this would "freak out" and be furiously typing all these wives into thier data bases. It would be nice if Geni, could be used as a site where one could go for acurate infomation, but I don't see how it could ever be done.

Hi Connie,

That's part of the point of this project! To get the information right and keep it right.

-- We clean up the database
-- We source the profiles in detail and with accuracy
-- We develop the Wiki with validated resources

It's a big project but with everyone pitching in, I do think we can get it done, don't you?

Yep... part of the fun is in convincing the ones that are wrong to do the research and get it right, and get the flotsam off the tree... and I'm right alongside you on fixing Thomas Rogers. Not at all clear who Grace is supposed to be, but Alice and Elsgen are the same person (Elsgen is the Dutch form of Alice - as she was called when in Leiden).

And it appears the About Me on Thomas is again full of duplicated files, so I guess it's time to purge out the Dupes to make it easier to convince people to let go of their long-cherished GEDCOM and Ancestry files and make the family tree reflect reality again.

May I take this moment to say I hate GEDCOMs? It's a drinking game on geni, worth a fortune in yerbe matte's.

If you have the rights to fix up Thomas Rodger's "overview" tab, please have it.

Erica, How do I go about Joining the Wiki project? Karen

Erica, How do I go about Joining the Wiki project? Karen

http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Mayflower_Passengers

Separate free ID needed to edit.

It's just getting started but I think Brendan Molloy has already put a good core structure in place.

Karen, Connie and Ben,
Do you want to do a page on the wiki for the Hopkins and Rogers families like we have for the White family?

As for the tree, there is a huge mess out there right now. I agree that if someone went to the tree right now and expected accurate historical information, they'd be disappointed in a lot of cases. That's one of the reasons we're doing this project. To focus our efforts on profiles that people are going to want to search for. This was also done within the last month for all US Presidents and Vice Presidents.

We need help. Everyone dive in and do a single merge or an entire wiki page. Everything helps! These profiles have come a very long way in a few weeks.

My two biggest issues that are keeping me from helping as much as I could:

one...the send option in this post!!! urgh....

two...I have 27000 merge issues, and no way of knowing which are mayflower related.

three...after I do successfully find a merge and get it to accept, the next one I try to work on I find I don't have the authority or permission to actually do it. I spend 15 minutes reviewing what I am doing, checking names and dates, hit Ok, and get a message that I can't do it. What a royal waste of time.

If we can get so that a user can only see what they can actually do, and somehow identify the merges that are needed for the Mayflower, this might go a lot faster....

Just my opinion...

Hi Erica:

Okeedoke, the overview tab is at long last fixed, and the data is corrected based on checked data in the About Me section. (Well, there was a section I wanted to add on his profession while in Leiden, but I'll get to that shortly.)

In any case, Thomas needs a divorce from Grace. Best I can tell, this is a mistaken identity with a Thomas Matthew Rogers (or his son) that eventually ended up in the Massachusetts Bay Colony (Watertown). Our Thomas only had one wife, according to what I've found, and that was Alice Cosford (or Elsgen in Dutch).

And a hi to Brandon...

I'd be tempted to do up something special, but I'm actually a Rogers-Richmond-Thomas-Jackson-Angel as opposed to a Rogers. I'd be willing to support an effort to keep Thomas Rogers and ilk from going wild, particularly someone deeply motivated in maintaining their paternal lineage intact (rather than only "greatly" interested in keeping several lineages intact at once).

Okay, a quick addition to the About Me of an article on camlet, and I'm back to the Quakers... (well, who knows, maybe I'll play with the timeline first... someone needs to do timelines on the more interesting life stories)

Anita,

I work on the tree itself using the "conflict resolution wizard" stacking it up. If there is a family line you follow, that might be a good thing to try. Then give me a link and I'll follow behind to "mega merge" with my "super curator powers." Want to give that method a try?

Ben,

Linkee linkkee pretty please.

:)

ok where is the confict resolution wizard???

The thing a majob that opens up when you hit the nasty looking yellow triangle. It asks you to look to drag duplicates on top of each other, and then gives you a message, "sorry that will break the tree" (a very bad thing! don't do it!) And then you go crazy trying to figure out what you did wrong.

But it's really called a "conflict resolution wizard."

The Linkee in question is:

Thomas Rogers, "Mayflower" Passenger

The only marriages that are valid are:
Elsgen Alice Cosford
Alice Rogers
(and yes, that profile for Alice needs to be fixed... you can tell by the goofed up name - she was born Alice. I'll get to that sometime later.)

Check out the Thomas Rogers timeline, meanwhile. Probably could use some improvements still, but it's closer to what I'd want to see.

Time for sleep... and naturally I have to ask that you please don't rename me by morning. It's confusing enough waking up as it is.

Anita,
I just sent you a request to collaborate. If you collaborate with someone, you'll be able to act on their behalf for merges and edits. If you really want to get some permissions, you can join the collaboration pool http://www.geni.com/discussions/6000000008539319639?msg=60000000101... If you find a manager of a profile that you want to have access to that is in the collaboration pool, feel free to send them a request to collaborate.

It was very frustrating to merge before I had a lot of collaborators.

I spent a few hours last night trying to fix William 'the Tailor' Gifford, of Sandwich and Stephen Gifford of Norwich
Erica, I'm going to have to ask for help after some of the merges get completed. Parents are not known for either of those two.

Brendan,

I marked them as master profiles.

What do you think of locked profiles for the parents? "Brick Wall" is wording to use in the curator note, maybe.

Anita,

I sent you a collaboration request as well.

Ben, I feel your pain. LOL!

Brendan and other Mayflowers,

I was thinking after my mega-merging job is done, maybe I would try and pull pages from "The Great Migration" out for the Wiki. I believe there are biographical sketches of each of the passengers. The source is well respected and *not* what they teach you in school ...

I ordered a book from Amazon that was not what was advertised and got the genealogy of the first five generations of descendants of Stephen Hopkins. Send me email if you are a direct descendant and would like to have this book.

I also got the genealogy of John Howland who I am descended from and would be happy to consult it as needed.

@Anita Marie Boynton and anyone else who may not know this.

To find Mayflower profiles to work on go to the list on the Mayflower Passenger Wiki project page:

http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Mayflower_Passengers

Choose a name and click on it to go to that Geni profile, then under the drop down menu on the right where it has "contact manager" "view tree" etc.

At the bottom of that menu choose "MORE ACTIONS" then choose "VIEW NEARBY MERGE ISSUES".

A list of merge issues related to that Mayflower profile will come up for you. Keep this page open in another window. When completing a merge by default you will be taken back to your own merge issues, that is why you'll need to keep the Mayflower related merge issue page open in another window so you can return to it easily after completing each merge.

i also have a book that is not what I was looking for also... Genealogical Records and sketches of the Descendants of William Thomas of Hardwick, MA by A. R. Thomas, pub by F.A. Davis, Philadelphia, 1891. It is a reprint, 221 pages.

This David Thomas is tied in with the Lucas family, mostly NJ folks...

Sorry, half of my post was missing... The 2nd book I also have, by mistake involves the David Thomas line, and the Lucas line. Not the New England folks which I have been looking for.... This book is also available if anyone is interested... A trade would be nice... :-)

Hi Erica:

If your reference has the (sourced) names of the people who actually went on the exploration expeditions around Cape Cod and Eastham, that would be really cool. Also if ship manifests exist for the Speedwell, who all lived where in Leiden, who got citizenship, professional and other associations, shoe sizes, favorite colors, and beer preferences I would also add to my wish list. (Yeah, I know, the last three would be difficult to find "sourced" information for...)

And I always preferred "Mayflower-children" over "Mayflowerer" as it just sounds so much more "groovy".

Showing 151-180 of 851 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion