Richard Kendall (1355-1431) and descendants

Started by Erica Howton on Tuesday, September 7, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 35 posts
9/7/2010 at 7:43 PM

Anyone have good source data for this line to add to the profile and his family?

Thanks
Erica
Friendly Neighborhood Curator

9/7/2010 at 8:18 PM

Here are two free websites from the L.D.S. Church you can search for relatives at: There is a lot here from many places in the world. This may help you with this. If not you'll find them extremely useful for many other ancestors.

www.familysearch.com

www.fsbeta.familysearch.com

You will not always find the same information at both sites. So, use both to search your relatives.

Sincererly, Donna iline Howse

9/7/2010 at 8:51 PM

Thanks Donna but it's not just me tracking back my ancestor -- as a curator, I'm trying to clean up snarls further down the historical stream. So I was looking for help in sourcing from other descendants. I'm not the only one!

Private User
9/8/2010 at 3:05 AM

Not sure that I'm a descendant (haven't traced this person yet), but there is a lot of the tree I haven't seen yet.

This is what I was able to find on an initial search for Richard Kendall in the time frame that you were looking at, with wife named Margaret.

Richard Kendall de Treworgy, Sheriff of Cornwall under Edward III in 1385 according to the History of Cornwall by Richard Porwhele
http://books.google.cl/books?id=qEQQAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA108&lpg=P...

Richard Kendall, Esquire of Treworgy; Wife is named Margaret

Margaret is fourth child of Francis Buller, Esquire of Shillingham, High Sheriff in 1609 (d. 1615), and Thomasine, daughter of Thomas Williams, Esquire of Stowford County Devon, Speaker of the House of Commons.

Other children are Elizabeth, Richard (his heir), Thomasine (wife of Francis Rawle, Lord of Tresparett Cornwall).

Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry, Volume I

http://books.google.cl/books?id=YdIKAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA156&lpg=P...

Kendall of Pelyn in the Parish of Lanlivery
A younger branch of an ancient Cornish family of which the principal line became extinct in the early part of the 17th century. They were formerly seated at Treworgy in Duloe and are traced to Richard Kendall of Treworgy, Burgess for Launceston in the 43rd of Edward III. Pelyn has been for many generations the seat of this family, descended from Walter, third son of John Kendall of Treworgy, who married a daughter and cho-heir of Robert Hollard, an illegitimate son of the Earl of Exeter. It has been remarked of this family that they have perhaps sent more representatives to the British Senate than any other in the United Kingdom.

Noble and gentle men of England by Evelyn Phillip Sherley

http://books.google.cl/books?id=7NuAAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA36&lpg=PA...

The troubling part is that I seem to remember Appleby being in the northern-central part of England (I was one of those geeks who were into bookcase games, and Kingmaker was a favorite). And this person had roots in Cornwall. So I'm not sure it's the same person.

I may check through more later, but feeling ready for sleep. -Ben.

Private User
9/8/2010 at 3:09 AM

You need to be careful with LDS and any other site. Sometimes they are not correct. They can only put out there what people give them and sometimes people are incorrect . You need to double check everything on historical websits and the old fashion way books and even they can dis agree. Example my grandfather Emile J. Loubris b. Beligium. Married in Canada. Canadian recors have his as Emiley G Loubris and Cahtolic. Well ocouse he was Emile J. Loubris and Hugonot . My grandmother was Catholic but changed which they would not have know. She changed because he told her you can marry me or stay cathoic, Still mad about the Eve of St bathilmew masacure. I find in lot reacords if you don't know both their first and middle names you can get very hung up.Sometimes people go by middle names all their lives.My mother did that and several aunts and uncle. Aunt Kathleen never went by her first name which was Ysault.can you blame her? The kids called her Ye Salt and peper! So what I am saying is double check everything if you can. we are all human and can make honest mistakes! sorry people lost my spell sheck again. happens every once in awhile. Can not spell for beans. Good in numbers but spelling is another thimg whats so ever. Judy

Private User
9/8/2010 at 3:11 AM

bret Infor very interesting . Have to pint out so I can digest it better. Judy

9/8/2010 at 3:19 AM

Everyone,

I've backtracked the uploaded GEDCOM files to here in Sussex:

Sir John de Kendale

Ben,

I'm feeling the Cumbria more than the Cornwall because of the town of Kendal, and getting whiffs of de Lancaster ... which makes sense because I have de Lancaster through another line. Up for archivestreaming the "Visitations of ..." any time soon? Domesday book? <g>

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=49272

Judith,

Exactly - LDS is only as good as the reporters *to* the LDS.

Luckily these days you can googlebook quite a lot and snippet it.

9/8/2010 at 3:26 AM

Ben,

P.S. Our point of connection is in Devonshire, 1450s:

Philippa Fulford

Private User
9/8/2010 at 4:02 AM

Thanks for the tip on Family Searches new web sit. Going to save me a tips into Boston for some records.. Some I already have but others I haven't had a chance to get into town lately. I hate going into Boston. Since they re vamped The Bridge as we call it, it's a harrowing experience to drive into the fed.Vital stats building near the Kennedy Center.haven't tried the new State one yet, rude there and very expensive. fed one people there much nicer and rec. are less expensive. I personally like to go to the various plasec to obtain records but when you can't this is a good way to go. Even found an Anna Loubris who i think might be Aunt HANNAH. there they go using altinate names again! Will go back in again and print stuff out when cat is not rying to help me. He stands on printer and trys to catch paper as it feeds into machine or sticks his head as much as he can in and watches it print out at the bottom of the machine. Any thanks again. Judy

9/8/2010 at 6:58 AM

Tagging the American "first immigrant" profile to motivate researchers:

Lt. James Converse

Private User
9/8/2010 at 12:45 PM

Hi Erica:

Figured I'd try one more time before getting back to relatives in the closer-in parts of the tree. This time around not much luck with Richard, but found a few interesting things for Jordan. There is a reference from the County Genealogies: Pedigrees of the families in the County of Sussex: http://books.google.cl/books?id=okhFAAAAYAAJ&amp;pg=PA173&amp;lpg=P...

There were three references to de Kendales here:
http://www.archive.org/stream/cu31924091754402/cu31924091754402_djv...

Jordan de Kendale
Archers: Jordan de Kendale, constable, with a barbed horse and 65 archers, 81.12s.8d. paid in October or November 1313. Service at Loghmaban Castle under Edward II in 1313

Feb 7 1316/1317 (read: 1317). Sir Edmon de Kendale: Protection for Sir Edmon de Kendale going to Jerusalem in fulfillment of his late "vou" when he was in peril in Scotland. Clarendon - Privy Seals (Tower). 10 Edward II. File 3.

Johannes de Kendale habet unum equum nigrum liardum, Robertua de Hardene... sorum cum stella.

And there was something on Luton/Brache Manor relating to Jordan in British History online:
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=62663

There were several manors in this parish held of Luton manor. The estate afterwards known as BRACHE MANOR undoubtedly belonged at one time to the royal manor of Luton, for whilst the latter was in the possession of William Marshal earl of Pembroke (who held Luton between 1214 and 1231) he granted a yearly rent of 20s. from his mill at Brache to St. Paul's Cathedral for prayers for the soul of his late wife Alice de Bethune. (fn. 146) By 1282 it had become the property of the Kendales, who held it of the heirs of Joan de Mohun, (fn. 147) for in that year Jordan de Kendale granted to Andrew de la Brache lands in Brache for his life. (fn. 148) After the acquisition of Woodcroft manor by Robert de Kendale in 1310 it followed the same descent as that manor (q.v.) until the sixteenth century. It is called a manor in 1531 (fn. 149) when it was held by William Markham in right of his wife Frances, daughter of William Cockayne. (fn. 150)

In the page you referred to, there were only three names of any interest I picked up: a King's Clerk named Roger de Kendale:

Grant to Roger de Kendale, (fn. 21) king's clerk, of the custody of the hospital of St. Leonard without Kirkeby, in the king's gift by reason of his custody of the land and heir of William de Ros of Kendale, deceased; ib., 551.

1328 Ratification of a grant made in 1326 to Roger de Kendale of the custody of the hospital of St. Leonard without Kirkeby in Kendale; ib., 1328, p. 204.

Hugh de Kendale:

William de Hamilton, archdeacon of York, Henry de Dunolm, master Geoffrey parson of the church of Great Loudon, executors of the will of Hugh de Kendale, implead Ingram de Gynes that he render to them £24 which he has unjustly detained; ib., m. 186, Westmorland.

and Grecius de Kendale

1298 John son of Grecius de Kendale replevies to Walter de Stirkeland his land which had been seized for Walter's default against Agnes late the wife of John de Warrewyk; Cal. Close R. 1298, p. 217.

Did recognize the name de Brus from another part of my tree in there. :)

I probably better get back to the covered wagon days though. Hope at least some of this helps. -Ben.

9/8/2010 at 12:52 PM

It's a huge help. This to me is the right part of England at the right time and the right names recurring. Excellent work.

I'll meet you on covered wagon threads I'm sure. My great grandfathers went over the Oregon trail from Kentucky => Arkansas => Missouri => Wyoming => Idaho. And yes, I had little pins with flags to track their journey. :)

Private User
9/8/2010 at 2:29 PM

Their last names weren't Ellis or Jackson, were they?

9/8/2010 at 5:13 PM

I have some Jackson wives in my tree who are so far unrelated but it's a recurring name in my tree. My main names for early-mid 1800s Tennessee & Kentucky are Ross, Cunningham, Howton, Musgrove, Lawson (so far).

I've been intending to work on a Tennessee Ellis line for a friend.

Private User
9/8/2010 at 6:01 PM

Our Tennessee Ellises are Joshua (1824-1913) m. Penelope Stuart (1829-1868), Snelling (1785-1828) m. Margaret "Peggy" Hudson (1794-1851), and Robert Jr. (1753-1820) m. Sarah "Sally" Dehaven (1753-1821). Joshua's granddaughter through Alexander "Dodad" Ellis was girlfriend to Will Rogers, named Kate Ellis - she was aunt to my "Grammie" Clara Ellis Miles (whose first marriage was with a Jackson - son of John Alva, named Alva Mead Jackson, who for awhile was the only police officer in Pasco Washington to have died in the line of duty).

Our Jackson line is the John-Burrel-William-Burrel lineage - John Alva was a son of the last Burrel. So far, haven't run into any of the names you mentioned, but I am still compiling information from online sources. (Been playing around the big tree too much - neglecting the closer-ins.)

9/8/2010 at 7:02 PM

Here's my Amelia Dehaven Howton (

Amelia Ann Howton

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that the Dehaven's were part of the wagon train, Arkansas to Washington State: Arkansas was a way side for a few years (some stayed) for many coming from Tennessee. I have third cousins who know much more about the Oregon / Washington Dehavens.

So what do you think -- same family?

Private User
9/8/2010 at 8:02 PM

Salem, Oregon, in 1836 is quite early to be in the area. I think the Denny Party arrived to create Seattle only in 1851. Those Dehavens must be on a list of early pioneers somewhere. Hadn't heard much of an Arkansas wagon train, to be honest. Sounds like it would be an interesting read. Couldn't have happened too many years after Lewis and Clark and the Purchase.

As to connection with our Dehavens, not sure. It could be. To be honest, haven't really fully explored beyond the Ellis line any of the colonial era in-law branches. Once you've traced your Dehaven ancestry back to the original East Coast states, it's possible to check - it would be particularly likely that there is a connection if they started out from Pennsylvania. But beyond that, it's all speculation.

(One of the pieces of trivia I like after having been down here in Chile is that Seattle and Puerto Montt both sit in deja vu-type similar countryside, and not altogether different latitudes - and both were settled a year apart from each other.)

9/8/2010 at 8:16 PM

So is Puerto Montt good apple growing climate? The area of Umatilla, Oregon my family eventually settled is famous for its apples.

I will make it my business to put Dehaven tracking on my plate. The name is French, I think Hugenots. Is that why you're thinking emigration via Pennsylvania?

9/8/2010 at 8:27 PM

Ah wait a minute, it's right in my grandmother's scrapbook. I forgot about the Willard. Johnson Monroe Willard was my 2nd great grandfather.

Johnson Monroe Willard

It's another covered wagon train in 1864: Iowa => Missouri => Oregon.

Trail of the Pioneers

The urge to tackle the yet unsettled and unexplored Northwest United States got to Johnson Monroe Willard in April of 1864 and he and his family traveled west. Willard, his wife, Martha, and two small children traveled by covered wagon pulled by two oxen. He had at least one milk cow along with him.

Also on the wagon train were the Dorothy, the DeHaven and DeMaris families -- all pioneer settlers of the Walla Walla River Valley. The entire unit arrived here in the fall of 1864, after four or five months on the way.

---

And a handwritten note: The people of Milton Freewater Oregon have made a little park (up the river a couple of miles) as a memorial to Marie Dorian, who guided a party of men out here a long time ago (like Sacagawea).

---

So you know I have to find out who this Indian lady was now. :)

Private User
9/8/2010 at 11:14 PM

Hi Erica:

Was busy recording events in my child's timeline, since I found out how to do that... lots of events to record now, all over the tree.

Puerto Montt wouldn't necessarily be as good an apple country as say further north, or across the mountains around Bariloche, Argentina (another weird deja vu location - reminded me a lot of the Kititas Valley near Ellensburg, Washington). Remember, although Washington State is known for its apples, they don't come from Seattle by and large. The dryer climates of Wenatchee and Yakima are more renowned for apples, as is Hood River, Oregon, where my mother is originally from. (Umatilla is not too far from where I was born, in Pasco.)

Willard is a pretty big name in Oregon... you see it just about everywhere, but never really paid that much attention to the significance. Seems I have some catching up on Oregon history to do.

As to the Dehavens, my remark about Pennsylvania is because that is where they started hanging around the Ellises. I wouldn't doubt that they have Huguenot origins. Running into Huguenots all over my mother's tree, it seems (I suspect that our Orpha Frayer is among them, though we have no proof yet), ialong with a few members of the Society of Friends (Quakers), and one Pilgrim (Thomas Rogers).

Was surprised to see the Ellises are Welsh. Hadn't known that until tracing the tree. (Welsh Quakers, in fact...)

You have Sacagawea in your tree? Now I'm envious. My father's side supposedly has Tewa in it (still hoping that the genealogist of my father's family eventually joins), and my mother's side likely has a member of an undesignated tribe from around eastern Tennessee or western North Carolina (Cherokee country). Again, we don't know the tribe, only that she was born in that region around 1800.

Milton-Freewater is the border town outside of Walla Walla. At least that's how I always think of it. Haven't actually been there myself though. So was Marie Dorian somehow connected with the Whitman Mission? Curious.

9/9/2010 at 12:10 AM

No, I just put up the tag for Sacagawea to attract people chasing up their Indian heritage, including me. I even did some straightening (needs more) of the Cherokee "royalty" tree (the Moytoys etc.), because I am convinced my rumored "Cherokee princess" is to be found, child of Scots trader and small side Cherokee tribe, in the stew that was the Tennessee frontier. All theory for me so far, but we're chasing the same one, it seems, so two of us can't be wrong.:) Proved it out for a collaborator's family, actually:

Abigail Roark

Are you familiar with the State of Franklin and the Wautaga Compact? My great great grandfather was a signatory. If I got that story straight, the frontiersmen had some objections to lack of service from the Royal Governor of North Carolina and started their own darn government. Lasted about ten years before the "over abundance of thieves and rounders" got them asking for militia.

You are correct about Milton-Freewater. I've never been there myself either but I have the stories, and my brother now lives in Portland. I am very northeast for someone with all these "out West" and "down South" family roots.

Now you have to find me a link to the Whitman Mission!

I corresponded with a lovely gentlemen who got me straight on the Willards. My branch is actually a name change from Woolard, and probably back to Villiard in France originally. He was excited to find out about an Oregon group. Now I understand my ancestral stories right, they are the ones in Virginia pre Civil War, who opted out of the fight and headed West. Quite sensible, I always thought.

Private User
9/9/2010 at 12:20 AM

The Whitman Mission massacre was very big in Washington State history. I'm sure there is a Wikipedia article on it. And it might even be accurate. :)

The big significance of Milton-Freewater had to do with the fact that Oregon doesn't have a sales tax (so very unlike Washington). So it became a local shopping destination.

I think the Villiard that was big with the railroad in Oregon actually came from Germany. Or I could have the name wrong, as I'm writing this without checking my history files (before getting into all this genealogy stuff, I'd been compiling a timeline of places that interested me from 1630 to 1907, mostly because I was interested in the Great Game, and wanted as much background as I could get - then it just sort of exploded from there - had been compiling since 2006 or thereabouts).

Anyway, wanted to get a few more things done before going to sleep... have to do a visa run tomorrow, so no all-nighter tonight (famous last words). -Ben.

9/9/2010 at 12:24 AM

Thanks for the chat, Ben! You've given me a lot to chomp on (I must have apples on the mind ... )

Private User
9/9/2010 at 5:24 AM

Wow Erica that sounds very interesting! I hope you are able to get more info. I like my Uncle Phil Parker have been chasing down my Native side in saugus. very hard because the Saugus Indians don't exist anymore as a tribe, it was a well known what I call sub tribe of the Algonquins,they covered and still do are large group of tribes,I most likely will never be able to prove anything . However,I did quit by accident find connection with the ones down the cape who were very important to the Pilgrims survive. . I probably have more in the family id I could locate some of my canadian French roots. they are another tough one. Parker side and all it's allied lines along with Cookson side and all it's allied lines were much easier. Almost a piece of cake. Al tho the Saints do have my William taylor Parker wrong. There two of them .One from Roxbury Ma who's father was Timothy Parker most likely a distant cousin and he could have died in Saugus where mine lived but mine and I have proff including his mother's will,which states his name being William Taylor Parker son of benjamin anna Taylor Parker jenness. It list all his brotheers and his children. We also have records of when Anna taylor married Benjamin Parker in Lynn Ma by Parson Roby,who ws famoius here in saugus,, to Benjamin Parker,a Portsmouth NH /Lynn Ma,Lynn and Saugus for awhile were one in the same,merchant and I found a letter in the Orne family recorss over in salem,<a.writen by said benjamin parker to his new brother in law Timothy Orne. Timothy Orne had married Ann's sister rebecca Taylor. So we know our iifo is correct. Now we don't in fact know where our William T Parker died or was buried since the old cemetary was partlu dug up to put a moument in the middle of the center.suposerly moved them and recorded everyone but one of the stones were found in someone's garage years later and the person's who family was still in town was contacted to see if she wanted it back. How many other's are out there we don't know. So our William T. could be lost forever, or he died up in Portsmouth,NH his mother was buried up in Rye with her second husband.

9/9/2010 at 3:48 PM

Hi Judith,

Your story made me think of the point in that archeological explorations can introduce whole new information into genealogy. For instance, roadwork sometimes uncovers forgotten cemeteries, and now we have the technology to better analyze those remains.

9/10/2010 at 2:50 PM

Private User

I just ran across an "immigrant from England" Ellis, haven't tracked it through, but thought you might be interested in a look-see:

Lt. John Ellis of Sandwich

9/10/2010 at 4:15 PM

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=/en...

Try this link I think I may have found something on your Richard Kendall

Showing 1-30 of 35 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion