Serious bug: deleting while merging

Started by Flemming Allan Funch on Sunday, September 5, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 14 posts
9/5/2010 at 4:12 PM

This has happened to me twice today. I do a lot of merges and on the very last screen, resolving the data conflicts, when I click Save, it then says "That profile is no longer available" and that it was deleted by me today.

The first time it happened, with Agni Dagsson, Agni "the Powerful" Dagsson, King in Sweden, I clicked "Restore" in the hope that it would bring it back. And it did, but without any relationships, and without any managers other than me. Before it had around 100 managers.

The second time I did it, with Helge Halfdansson, Hailaga Halfdansson, {Legendary}, I didn't yet hit restore, as I expect it to give the same result. Again, a profile with around 100 managers.

I've submitted it to support both times, so this is just to warn anybody else.

I merged other profiles between those two, without any problem.

9/5/2010 at 4:13 PM

It didn't keep the url I entered for Helge Halfdansson. It is/was profile 5624606217270035679

Private User
9/5/2010 at 7:34 PM

I hit this same bug on Friday.

Private User
9/5/2010 at 9:34 PM

I don't know if this is the same but twice last week while merging (before i clicked on anything) the pages just disappeared.

??

I have no idea what happened.

9/6/2010 at 12:04 AM

Thanks for heads up - What does Geni Help say?

9/7/2010 at 3:42 PM

They haven't answered me yet. I'm going to stay away from merging until it has been fixed.

9/7/2010 at 10:13 PM

We are looking into these reports. We haven't been able to narrow down the issue yet or recreate it, but so far it doesn't seem very widespread. Obviously, this a very serious issue that should not ever happen, so we are looking at this very closely.

9/8/2010 at 5:53 AM

Thanks, Noah!

It sounds like it might have something to do with doing several things at the same time, like maybe doing related merges right after having pressed the Save button for data conflict resolution.

I've now patched up the two profiles that got deleted for me.

Private User
9/24/2010 at 4:03 PM

It happened again. DOing a major resolve conflicting data and BOOM.

Isabel of Huntingdon

9/24/2010 at 4:12 PM

Private User is right, this is definitely happening when the conflicting data form is submitted more than once. Until we can isolate the cause, please be sure to resolve conflicting data in one window at a time, and don't double-click that button!

9/24/2010 at 4:14 PM

Janet, I undeleted Isabel of Huntingdon but unfortunately you're going to have to put the name back, plus any other missing data. Thankfully we fixed the bug that was dropping the tree connections. I'll see if I can restore the other managers.

Private User
9/24/2010 at 4:41 PM

Hmm, I can't understand why I should have deleted any messages in this thread, but I do understand it if Geni staff deleted them because I reviled a security hole in Geni, - but please don't blame me for deleting the messages.

9/24/2010 at 4:51 PM

Bjørn according to our logs, it was you who deleted those messages. The first deleted message read, "The profile is still out there, waiting to get restored." and the second on, "You can still restore it:"

Private User
9/24/2010 at 5:19 PM

Michael - I only had one window resolving the conflicting data. I might have had a second geni window open to the discussions or my inbox, but not to the tree, profile, or matches. It was a significant number of merged profiles that needed to be resolved. I have been stopping my merges after 6 to resolve, but this one had a bunch buried.

THanks for your help.

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion