ATTENTION Curators, please assist

Started by Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn / שמואל-אהרן קם (קאן on Sunday, September 5, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 151-180 of 8939 posts

Michael
Can't make that undo eighter - think you need to make a ticket!!

Michael, there is indeed a technical problem there. It's unfortunate that someone (Ruby) has started some incorrect merges, but someone on the Geni engineering will need to figure out how to cancel that pending merge. Mike Stangel? http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/4684339864240022009

There are 2 lines that are in real need of help... The Thomas Paine line (connected to The Mayflower Rogers line), and prior, going backwards, also the William Towne line (Joanna Blessing, wife) are terribly messed up. We need a curator there.... Both are very messy... I would like to see some sources for all the wives and husband involved in these lines... I just do not believe that one man can have 5 or 6 wives... Many have no marriage details available

The concept of the Master Profiles is very good. Could it be organised that if there are many profiles, that the Master Profiles shows up at the top? That would focus everyone on it immediately.
(I wonder where this kind of remarks can be made best)

This discussion is fine.

Where do you mean that the MP shows on top? The logo itself on the top of the profile?

I want to see the MP logo in the "conflict resolution wizard" so we know how to stack and keep bugging geni for that. :)

I agree with a desire to see the MP while conducting merges.

I REALLY miss seeing the profile manager's name (including mine.) After 3 1/2 years of actively working on Geni, I have come to know and trust many users to have reliable information and would like to stack accordingly!

I seen many merges creating main managers that make no sense - Not to mention losing control of many of my direct ancestors. :'(

Jennifer,

With the "master profile" idea, the "primary manager" loses importance. For the important historical profiles curators essentially take on some of that role, and they will gradually be locked down in phases as we refine the profiles. I mean, it's not likely 400 managers for Charlemagne add any value at all. :)

Erica,

Sorry for not being clear. I mean that the MP should be the first in any listing, like the list that the merge cntre generates or the list from a search.
For instance, if you search for Charlemagne, I get 656 people on 33 "pages" . The MP is on page 26.
I do not think many people will have the patience to go through all these pages and thus will ignore the MP.

And what is a Public Profile? It is sometimeson mentioned on top of a profile and it is somewhat confusing.

A "public" profile is a deceased person or public figure available to you through a "collaboration" request. Then you can become a "manager" or "editor" of the profile and add it to your family tree.

I believe the search engine in geni will update with a great many "Master Profiles" the next time it is re-indexed (a couple of times a week). I've marked hundreds. A drop in the bucket, but there are 40 or so curators. :)

Just to also clarify: a "private" profile is intended for living people or more recently deceased as a share private family tree's information. They show in the search engine with no details available when you click the profile itself.

I understand the reindexing process, but will the Master Profiles be put on the top of the list?

I hope so! Geni staff will see this discussion and I'll also raise it as a separate question. The MP's were just released a couple of weeks ago (ahead of schedule) and I assume will go through a refinement and tweaking process.

With respect to Charlemagne, as long as he doesn't evolve again into the Emperor of an entity that wouldn't emerge until two centuries after his death (in other words, becoming again "Holy Roman Emperor" instead of "Emperor of the Romans"), I'd happily support whatever system is implemented. I try to be patient, but still find myself highly annoyed by under-researched profile changes. Pet peaves... what can you say?

Remember the date 2 September 962. Before that date, no Holy Roman Empire. After that date, grudgingly Holy Roman Empire (technically, no one called it that for another couple centuries, but the entity was created on that date). End soapbox speech.

I still have more then 1500 tree matches. Unfortunately, some of them remain in the list, even after I have done the match.
If I try to do them another day, I get the message "You have already requested this match" . But that message appears only áfter I have taken all the Then useless )steps.

Can these profiles be marked somehow?

I am re-doing the Baker line of which I am directly attached. It was so messed up, affecting everything I put in originally, I had to re-do it. No way without any control over the line, which seems to have been hyjacked by someone... I could not fix any errors. IF there is a curator handling the Baker line... Let me give you my resources here... they include the cemetery under Swansea jurisdiction, records and vital statistics of RI, and MA, The library at Swansea, MA; The hand written vital stats at Swansea, (done in 1977, I have been working on this line since I was 16 years old, long before computers came into play) The History of Swansea, MA, 1667-1917, compiled and edited by Otis Olney Wright, pub in 1917 by the town of Swansea, MA; and the The Baker Family Records by J. Montgomery Seaver from the American Historical-Genealogical Society, Philadelphia, no date on my copy... I am going to add in each profile that I am re doing, the words DO NOT MERGE, until a curator can take a look and check the line... I am asking this as a courtesy, since I can no longer keep the line private, until someone takes a look see. Could one of the curators take a look and see, and check out my findings? Thank you.

Sally,

Would you be able to tag / put the URL in of the first of the Baker line profiles, please? Makes it soooo much easier to find the profile. Or alternately, you can *start* a discussion *from the profile itself* and that will make it show in public discussions, where we all can see it, help and comment.

As Nicolaas is noting, search can be (insert rude word here).

Nicolaas,

How long is it taking for your "tree matches" to dissipate?

Ben,

You're making me memorize dates!

I think the curators on the Charlemagne profile may have lost hair from the amount of times they reverted it to "Emperor of the Romans." :)

Sally,

I can help sort out anything currently and temporarily "locked up."

The master profile and curatorial programs is going to prevent this from happening again. Did you read the blog about it?

http://blog.geni.com/

There are two ways you can "tag" a profile for me:

1. Start a discussion on the profile OR
2. Copy the browser address of the profile and paste it into the discussion

Biblically - Zephaniah is male.

I suspect the Puritans and Quakers would not have used a male name for a daughter.

Does that help?

Just for the fun of it I went to Roots and found three Zephaniah Baker who were all male. One married a sarah Brown another married a Rachel Smith . Does this help? Judy

Thank you for letting me know, Janet.

FYI, I have found that last wills and testaments are very helpful in identifying children whose parents were married to more than one partner. There are many case here of merges that involve multiple mothers or fathers. Finding the wills, which are sometimes on file somewhere, can help in figuring out which child belonged to which parent.

Can Daniel Baker be the brother of Daniel Baker in this possible merge? The 2 lists of siblings are the same except for the addition of Daniel baker in one of the profiles... Please see...
http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000008270610760?fsession%5Fid...
Thanks.
I am hesitant to merge because of this...

Erica,

These tree matches do'n go away. This one for instance seems to be there for one or two weeks ?

http://www.geni.com/search/matches/6000000002125530351

Hi Nicolaas,

Your question is too technical for me. :) I don't know the reason nor do I know why it's happening.

I'm tagging Noah here to come answer as a possible bug he really should know about. Michael Stangel is our other Geni / collaborator, but I think he's off line this week.

Noah Tutak

Done, and tagged as "master profile" if you want to take another look at the data fields.

Margaret Boleyn

Re: Family of OLOF SKÖTKONUNG ERIKSSON
The half brothers Emund and Anund, sons of Olof Skötkonung are still mixed together. If you're in the area, be careful!
Olof Skötkonung + Estrid (wife)
1. Anund Jacob
2. Ingegerd (married to Yaroslav the Wise)

Olof Skötkonung + Edla (partner)
3. Astrid
4. Emund (Emund den Gamla / Emund the Old)

A fifth child, Homfrid (married to Sven Ladejarl), is sometimes mentioned as daughter of Edla and sometimes as the sister to Olof. She can of course be both….

Olof Skötkonung: http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olof_Sk%C3%B6tkonung
Estrid: http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estrid_av_obotriterna
Edla: http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edla_%28frilla%29
Sven Ladejarl: http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sven_Ladejarl

Lock down the whole area to prevent more errors until we get an overview and time to fix the errors. I will help you tomorrow.

For English language sources on this area of the tree, my personal favorite is still Medieval Lands by the Foundation for Medieval Genealogy:
http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/SWEDEN.htm#OlofIdied1022

In it, Edla is described as the daughter of an Earl of Vindland (apparently a land south of the Baltic Sea) and a mistress of Olof (three known children: Astrid wife of King Olav II of Norway, Holmfrid as identified by Snorre, and Emund Slemme the Old - which I remember my accidentally merging with Anund earlier, though I knew in my head the two were different), source:
Snorre, Saga of Olaf Haraldson Part III, 89.

Holmfrid who married Sven Haakonsson, Ladejarl of Norway, is also identified as sister, with a note that chronologically it makes more sense that she is Olof's sister rather than daughter, and a second note suggesting that if this is so, she may not be the daughter of Sigrid Storada (which is identified as Olof's mother according to two sagas by Snorre), source for Holmfrid:
Snorre, King Olav Trygvason's Saga Part III, 123.

As usual, looking forward to seeing this area of the tree cleaned up (and being able to review listed sources for the information provided). -Ben.

Thank You Erica

I don't know why profiles are merged together just because they have the same name, even though they have different parents and husbands.

I guess just one little wrong connection can make things snowball. The Butler/Boteler line had several profiles that had multiple miss merges.

Can you Please Divorce

Margaret Harmon
from
Sir Richard Bold, of Bold

I think I finally have gotten the Margaret's separated with their correct parents and husbands.

Now to see about Thomas Butler and John Butler.

Thank You

Showing 151-180 of 8939 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion