ATTENTION Curators, please assist

Started by Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn / שמואל-אהרן קם (קאן on Sunday, September 5, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 8791-8820 of 8939 posts

Mike Stangel when you have a chance, could you diagnosis/explain this problem of Alex's? See:
http://www.geni.com/discussions/80793?msg=969190
http://www.geni.com/discussions/80793?msg=969340

Dan - re what you have referred to Mike Stangel:

I have found that I cannot identify people in a photo unless either I have the photo in my collection, or the "owner" of the photo is in my family group.

re: photo ownership restriction on identifying people ... ... thanks for that info, David; I hadn't run across that yet.

It sort of makes sense, in that others thus cannot randomly assign profiles to your photos.

Does anyone know if it acts differently if the photo is placed in a Project? That is, can anyone -- or maybe only Project Collaborators? -- tag people to Project 'photos'?

(Alex's case is that the "photo" is really a map.)

Dan - I am a member of http://www.geni.com/projects/Collaboration-Pool/1069 but cannot identify or edit any of the photos attached to that project.

The link to the map is http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File%3AValenciennes_-_Valentiana_...
See page for author [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons from Wikimedia Commons

You can download it from there and credit the source

Alex Moes
Don't know if it is because I am a Curator but I can see the edit selection on http://www.geni.com/photo/view/6000000000375036325?album_type=photo...
Would you like me to try to tag Unnamed mother of Georges Rapareilliet to the map?

Unnamed mother of Georges Rapareilliet
I added the picture for you.

And by the way please feel free to use any of my albums.

Thanks Bill, i was too lazy to go that route :) This isn't the only image i have had this problem with so i was hoping to learn my "mistake" so that i could avoid future issues.

David's explanation makes sense to me but it seems silly that Collaboration with managers doesn't give this permission, hopefully Mike will get this changed for us.

Thanks for the offer Carole but "Wild" Bill beat you to the draw ;) Maybe you had the option because of Max Family? She has 31 managers, or maybe as you say it's a curator thing.

In can't add others to the pictures without going to my albums and clicking on the the edit part does not work for me on my one.

Alex Moes
William Owen "Bill" Irwin

I guess that is well enough, "Bill" added another image of the map to tag Unnamed mother of Georges Rapareilliet

Alex, your original message was about attaching her to the image http://www.geni.com/photo/view/6000000000375036325?album_type=photo...

Were you not able to see this just below the image of the map?
" In This Photo: Jean Rapareilliet, Joris Jansen Rapalje [edit] "

Selecting [edit] is how you would add another or de-tag a profile.

Carole, there is no [edit], this is not an isolated issue, i have noticed it particularly when working in this branch.

Bill's help was a patch only but appreciated it none the less.

Another work around is that i am requesting management of these profiles as i work on them.

@Carole and @alex, it seems that editing random images may be a Pro or Curator feature. When I am logged in as myself, I see the "edit" link; when I'm logged in as a non-paying subscriber, I don't see an "edit" link.

Thanks for that test, Harald. It's not a curator function, it's a pro function; the curating menu does not impact on profile management.

Of course any profile manager should be able to edit images (tag) to the profiles they manage. So Alex will be able to prove it out more shortly.

Thank you Alex, Harald & Erica for clarifying

It's been long enough that I don't remember all that a Basic User cannot do, not that when I was a Basic user did I edited others images.

Same here Carole! :)

Harald, Carole, Alex - I am a Pro - and I also do not see the "edit" when I look at that Photo. So seems it is not a Pro feature.

Now I understand also. I deleted a photo by mistake and it was a map attached to 10 people, I had to add them all back by browsing my folders

Edit allows me to enter a name to my photos but will not allow me to us the look up to find the person. when I enter a name it can't find a match

Bill - are they close family? If so, it should. But if outside Max Extended Family, not managed by you, not followed by you, not recently looked at by you - it will not. For that last set - seems like some of them some of the time will be found - but not sure what the actual criteria are.

Do you know the trick of - copy the profile ID number (from URL at top, when looking at profile) into the photo or document search box (I always backspace over the last one, then re-enter it to trigger the box to "see" the number if I have just copy and pasted - not sure if that still necessary) - then click "Search More".

I will try

Sorry for the delay in responding to Alex Moes's tagging question -- Private User has it right, with a couple subtleties. You can tag people in a photo if any of the following are true:

1. the photo owner is in your family group
2. you are tagged in the photo
3. you are a curator

I've deployed a fix that hides the "Identify" button when you don't have permission.

Cool

Mike Stangel , along the same vein.

I tried to edit the date of Timeline event for Joris Jansen Rapalje , again i am still awaiting Management Request approval, which resulted in an error message. Fair enough, but now the event seems to have been deleted entirely from the Timeline - it's title was something like "emigrated 1624".

Co management is needed to edit timeline events, even for the "most ancient" historic profiles. The request to add as manager routes only to the primary manager, awaiting the next time they log on.

Mike Stangel re: photo tagging. Is there anything different about a photo being in a project? That is, who has to have what relationship to the project and/or photo ownership in order to 'tag' when the photo is in a project's media library?

That's silly.

72 managers but I have to wait for the primary...who probably hasn't logged on since the day they uploaded some rubbish gedcom

Check your requests. And as noted, an enhancement request has already been logged in. I'm sure it's on the development plate.

this has nothing to do with me right so many discussions and never know if im at fault icant even tell which profile this is in regards to

This discussion "is" disjointed, good point.

ATTENTION Curators, please assist
Started by Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn) / (שמואל אהרן קם (קאן on Sunday, September 5, 2010

I think when it starts to get more complex a new discussion could be started ...

Showing 8791-8820 of 8939 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion