ATTENTION Curators, please assist

Started by Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn / שמואל-אהרן קם (קאן on Sunday, September 5, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 271-300 of 8939 posts

Eldon,

A more techie curator than I may be able to assist more, but I wanted to ask if you had opened a ticket with geni? help@geni.com

That profile is in a standalone tree and we should leave them unconnected, especially where the tree creator obviously is not a real user.

There are many teaches, classroom projects, history researches and so on who creates such trees and we should leave them alone.

Only when the become connected to the big tree we have to take actions, so just try to avoid it.

Thanks, Bjorn. I knew you'd have a better answer.

Not really a "help" request, but a request none the less.

I just tried to go thru the Public Discussions to see if there was anything I was interested in (I have only been active on Geni for a month or so).

What a mess!!! 930+ public discussions, no search option...I saw about 30 in the first few pages that were either junk (just wondering how this works?) or were really private.

Is there anyway to clean up the public list and or give us a search option on the subject?

Thanks!!!

Hi Anita, when you open any message and look at the top you will see 'Unfollow' when you click on 'Unfollow' it changes to 'Follow'.

Choose which messages you wish to follow.

Go back to the Main discussion and at the top right hand corner you will see 'Show only discussions I am following' , if you put a checkmark in the box you only see the discussion you wish to follow
removing the checkmark shows you all the discussions

Anita we'll be adding search to our discussions, soon...

Thank you Michael!

You can by the way use Google to search the public Geni discussion.

Just prefix your keyword with: "site:geni.com/discussions "

Will someone take a look at the merges on this profile? His supposed father was 6 when he was born.

Thanks.

Joseph Fry, Jr

Anita, I got it taken care of, I think. I merged the two Benjamins together--the one with the wrong date was just a guess, it seems, and was not connected to a higher generation; I merged him with the other one born in 1700. Let me know if you have further merges in this area. I didn't know if the two Anns (Ann A and Ann Funk) were two separate wives or not so I left them unmerged since their birthdates were quite different.

Maybe this profile can be a MP William William Odding At this moment its clean.

Kjell,

Done (profile marked as Master Profile). Great idea to post the link for a "good" profile ready for MP designation, thank you!

The query works for Project by the way:

site:geni.com/projects mayflower

Okay, this one is driving me nuts. This is the umpteenth time that someone changed names on the following two profiles so that I again merged the two.

Vladimir the Great, Grand Prince of Kiev Rus, had two sons named Mstislav. One was Mstislav the Great, Prince of Tmutorakan and Chernigov, and the other was an infant son Mstislav. Putting this into the About Me page doesn't seem to stop people from renaming the profile so that it ends up being merged later.

Is there some courageous Curator that could develop both Mstislavs so that they have their own master pages? At this stage would recommend using this one for Mstislav the Brave:

Prince Mstislav

And then just creating a new Mstislav using the information at the end of the About Me section on the above profile, and then Master Paging both so that they don't keep getting merged by forgetful people like me.

Many thanks in advance.

Mstislav the Brave, not Mstislav the Great (need more coffee)...

I have cleaned a lot around "Baldwin I Iron arm" , but am still lost in the mess. Van curators please assist?

http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000003645692144

There are still multiple parents and children which I can not edit. Thanks for your help.

Hi...I've got something weird going on with a merge.

When I click on this merge (http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000002337146288?return=bulk_c... using "View Pending Merge" from my Merge Issues page in my Merge Center (http://www.geni.com/list/requested_merges), nothing happens....the screen flickers and it goes back to the merge list.

If I check the box for this merge and any other merge, then click on "View Selected Merges", I can pull up this merge, but not the others.

If I only select this merge, and then click on "View Selected Merges", this merge comes up, but as soon as I click, Yes, No, or I'll Decide Later, I get kicked back to the Merge Center.

The biggest problem is that I have clicked the NO button on this merge about 10 times over the last three days...it just keeps coming back up. Is it me or the merge???

Thanks.

Not really a problem but I need some guidance on merges.

I received this message this morning, "had 4 requests from you regarding xxxx
All of them was from "tree match" and not connected to our tree (big red box in the bottom saying they belong to different trees). Please do not make merges with or requests to other trees than our own

My reply,
"I know about the different trees notification and seem to be getting more and more of them. Something I don't remember seeing before. I thought that the main purpose of Geni was to create one tree. If that is so, why should we not merge these? What is your reasoning on this?"

So, what should I do?
Eldon

Eldon,
if you find "tree matches" that are in different trees, you will get MUCH better results trying to TALK to the managers on BOTH sides, before you actually send a merge request, ESPECIALLY if you are not a manager of one of them.

People are ornery that way. They don't like getting unexpected requests. These might be perceived as threatening, especially to managers who haven't been on Geni long enough to get connected to the Big-Tree.

Eldon
I don't think we shall try to merge unconnected profiles into the big tree - I know we(curators) are able to merge them, but it won't be reight to do so -
And BTW we have plenty of work to do without draging more problems in!!

Günther,
actually, as Curators we can work ONLY on the Big-Tree. But if we, or anyone, talks to the other manager and Collaborate with them, then we connect them. Before one does so, though, it is best to explain the Big-Tree concept to them:

http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Big_Tree

I forgot to say, these profiles are public and I recognize some of the managers names. Would that make a difference?

Eldon, if the profiles are public AND if when you click on the *managers'* profiles it says "You are related to...." (rather than "This is the private profile of....), then the manager and his/her tree are already connected to the big tree and it's not a problem to link their "hot matches." What we are trying to do, however, is to respect those managers who want to keep their trees stand-alone trees and not be part of the big tree. Even though this is not the purpose of Geni, it was not always as clear as it is now, so there are some people who feel very strongly about staying separate. And we certainly don't want to get one or two of their profiles merged in, because once they are in, it's extremely difficult to "extricate" them.

Thanks! Hope this makes sense. --Pam

Eldon...been there with you...getting a nasty from someone on a public profile merge. My solution is to just not work on any more requests for that particular person. You might even need to end your collaboration with that person. Sad that people make public profiles and collaborate but then don't "play wll with others".

Thanks to whomever fixed the merge I had the problems with.

Hi as soon as the above mentioned issues are resolved, I will post the rest :)

Curators cannot merge living persons. I explained more in your other discussion.

I believe you want to ask for "family group" access to the people you would like to merge living / private profiles with.

Some of them was even claimed profiles and in general duplicates of Geni users should just be deleted because most people wants full control over what goes into their own and close family members profiles.

Another question.
When you come to a master profile that has multiple parents, should you try and resolve the issue through the tree or just wait for the curator or manager to do it?

Showing 271-300 of 8939 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion