Announcing Curators

Started by Noah Tutak on Wednesday, August 25, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 61-90 of 150 posts

When you in a profile find a tab-page named "Tree Matches" or on a node in the tree see a number - please don't initiate merges through that list because there are so many false matches there.

Ah, okay thanks Bjørn.

You have a similar Tab page in the Merge Center.

A big problem I am encountering is that despite my best efforts, my Blood Relative and Ancestor counts drop from 100K to 5K. Personally, I have added 29K profiles, most of which carry the same last name and all have the same ancestors (We New England Dyer's are a wildly popular bunch).

It seems that somewhere, someone has deleted a relationship that is well documented. Until Geni can give us some report so we can check behind the person(s) doing this, I forsee issues. I concentrate my research on the family names that make up my heritage as well as my wife's.

I don't think lines are cut by purpose because people dislike it, but we are 11 curators/superusers currently doing a major cleanup in the old lines and sometimes we do temporary disconnect to be able to fix generation-loops and other errors. It would be nice if others keep their fingers away from the areas we are working (some of us mark profiles with WORK IN PROGRESS or similar).

Anyhow: 5K versus 100K makes some bells to chime...

The 5K is the none-Pro user limit (100K for Pro) for profile lists and sometimes when Geni updates the statistics they fail to check who is Pro members, but it usually get corrected after some days.

Have a nice day!

I just checked up the personal line (me -> Ralph Dyer). There is an instance where a couple of John Dyer's were apparantly merged. It created an issue where John Dyer (profile 1) was merged with John Dyer (profile 2). Because these profiles were merged, Reverend John Dyer has performed a miracle and procreated 60 years after his death in 1499.

Looking at revisions, I see nothing.

As several have said: Using hot-match to merge profiles should be disabled...

Are you able to fix this yourself?

Hot-matches can be good for merging trees in your closer family and within the first 4-7 generations - but it initiates a LOT of bad merges and I strongly encourage ALL active users to not use it for any profiles or branches 1700s and earlier. Work from the tree and clean up errors, fix profiles etc instead. See list of suggestions on a previous page in this thread.

Since there are several brothers and sisters also invoved, it will take time. I'll look into it further when I am able to think clearer. Can't sleep because my Grandfather just passed away.

@David: So sorry for your loss.

NOTICE of WORK IN PROGRESS
I am trying to detangle and fix the de Crépon family and some of their connections:
http://www.geni.com/discussions/6000000009737944412

If you wonder about the new Curator Note feature they will show up in the merge window like this: http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu41/bpbrox/CuratorsNote.png

Historical trees should still give credit to where credit is due.

Anne Marit Wrote: (learn to use multiple tabs if you don't already)
what do you mean using multiple tabs??

You worn about using hot-match!!
But what about the new merge center don't we have the same problem, we can't exactly see what we are merging

Gunther,

In Merge Center, if you press on the profile ID and not just the "merge" link, it opens up the "carousel" we're more used to.

@Günther and everyone: if we can't see what we are merging we should not merge :-)

The MAIN problem in the hostorical line is merging of people who are not the same. This creates a lot of problems, among other things generating more bad merges.

Multiple tabs = multiple windows (in your browser: Safari, Firefox, Chrome or Internet Explorer). You have the tree open in one tab/window, and some of the profiles involved in others - that way you can see what is going on, connections and implications of a merge from many perspectives at once.

Anne Marit: if we can't see what we are merging we should not merge :-)
It was actually what I meant, if you use the merge center uncritically big mistakes will happen!!
The historical lines allways will be the biggest problem.
I have worked a bit in the Brandenburg/Preussia branch lately I'll tell you all the Friedrichs and Wilhelms must be merged with great care.

:)

I have already seen some of the curators fingers in certain pending merges. I am so happy you are all doing this! It is already beneficial

Ah, those sticky fingerprints! I knew I should have been wearing gloves....

That should be the curator logo: a raised index finger in the curatorial white glove ....

LOL, the Proctologist's already took that one!

I dont see any curtor looking at the ancient and mediieval profiles of the Indian subcontinent. There is a lot of history out there as Indians had a tradition of keeping Geneologies and it still continues. I myself manage ~5000 profiles (Couple of accounts), all related to Ancient India. There is immense potential here. I am happy to volunteer on this part of the tree if Geni so desires.

Anchit,

For my own education, would you be kind enough to post a couple of links to prominent profiles from Ancient India?

India had lots of Kingdom dynasties - kings who ended up rulling really big kingdoms (and consequently creating branches for lot of trees in the current generation). The Geni profiles are not well populated (thats the opportunity).

For education purposes, I would recommend these two websites, they have all that major personalities and some of ancient and nedieval India (purely from a perspective relevant to Geni). Once these are in, Geni could get create links to millions of Indians...

http://www.royalark.net
http://uqconnect.net/~zzhsoszy/ips

I am also posting a link to my WORK IN PROGRESS INDIAN big tree which builds on Geneologies presented in ancient Indian texts from 4000 BC to date. My emphasis is get enough nodes for the 1900's for people to catch it. Its still WIP, so please bear with it. (one has to scan through myths, dates etc which is what I am currently doing)

Creator BRAHMA

Hope this helps

Ancit,
that sounds like a really great project to be working on! But if, as you say, Geni does NOT have many such profiles, your job will be even easier. The present set of tools we Curators have, are more directed at the trees that are duplicated MANY times (20 to 200+ copies) on Geni. They make it easier combining these.

In the future we will likely be able to "protect" historical parts of the tree, and designate them as such. We would be of more use to you then...

Shamuel

Yes, exactly. For the purpose of this project, the curator tools are not that relevant as of now. But I do forsee the need in the future as I get "real' people to join up. Its gonna create a bit of a mess (multiple names, titles, ages, adoptions etc etc). But till then I can work on this peacefully...

However, I do see some tree's already exist (as bare bones), and it would be good to intiate merges on them right now! (The users are inactive etc and thus even for 500 year old profiles I cant do much :-( )

I am currently working in the Robertian lines.

I didn't find out exactly how we use the Curators!!

And Erin I hope the people working in the Robertian lines know what it is I don't!!
Please include a link in such messages!!!

Currently we are stuck in main lines of interests doing some major cleanups and personally I try to avoid too much focus changes until the worse knots are untangled.

We are preparing a better presentation and probably start some separate curator needed threads for some main lines.

They leaked some statistics yesterday: The curators completed 15% of all merges in Geni the last week...

Fine it also looks like the total numbers of merges are going down, until now it was my opinion that it only raise, do we anywhere have a number of total merge issues my personal incl collaborators say 63,000, only a few weeks ago it was over 70,000!!

Showing 61-90 of 150 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion