Is Hermann De Verdun the father of Estout d'Estouville?

Started by Erica Howton on Sunday, August 1, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 3 posts
8/1/2010 at 9:15 PM

If that is correct, the tree should be connected, perhaps, from here:

Hermann, comte de Verdun et d'Enham

or - these do not look active --

Unknown Profile
Unknown Profile

to here:

Robert 1er "Grandbois" d’Estouteville

I don't have good source material to reference, just this:

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&am...

And I hesitate to proceed without more people giving it some thought and planning, if I may ask that of you.

I'm continuing to clean up the English Stutevilles in the meantime.

Private User
9/8/2019 at 4:46 PM

Estold (Estout) d'Estouteville

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Estold or Estout d'Estouteville (died 13 October 1423) was successively Abbot of Cerisy Abbey, Bec Abbey and Fécamp Abbey in Normandy, France.[1]

Family
He was the son of Jean d'Estouteville (died 1356), lord of Torcy [2] and Estoutemont, and his wife Jeanne de Fiennes. His uncle was Robert de Fiennes, constable of France.[3] His brothers were Thomas d'Estouteville (died 1394), bishop of Beauvais, and Guillaume d'Estouteville (died 1414), bishop of Evreux, Lisieux and Auxerre.[4] He was of the same family as Cardinal Guillaume d'Estouteville.

Estold was a monk of Fécamp and a doctor of canon law. He was abbot of Cerisy from 1385 to 1388. In that year he became abbot of Bec, an office he resigned in 1391. He was the 23rd abbot of Fécamp from 1390 to 1423.

He took the oath of fidelity to King Charles VI on 23 June 1392 at Saint-Germain-en-Laye. He appointed a deputy to represent him at the Council of Pisa of 1409 which elected the antipope Alexander V.

When King Henry V of England took Fécamp, during the Hundred Years' War, Estold refused to take the oath of loyalty to him, but retired to his castle at Fontaine-le-Bourg. The property of Fécamp Abbey situate in England was then confiscated and re-granted by charter to Thomas Langley, Bishop of Durham.

He died on 13 October 1423[5] and is buried in the nave of the abbey church of Fécamp.

Note from dvb: there are trees out there that show Estout and Estout II older that Robert I le Grandbois but that I believe is incorrect. The Dictionary de la noblesse does not show anyone by that name in that generation. Robert de Verdun d'Estouteville, I was the son of Roger de Verdun, Governor de Château of Ambriences b. Circa 990 d. Circa 1063

Private User
12/27/2019 at 7:29 AM

I started a detailed work up on this family yesterday, I’ll let you know what I find. Planning to run through 15 generations because this family split all over France and England

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion