Public/Private

Started by Günther Kipp on Wednesday, July 28, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 181-190 of 190 posts

Thanks Alex.
I find those photographs, and I can see my father in those faces.
We Empey men, seem to pass a Gene that recedes the hairline.
Yes, I gathered that this whole subject is a "Gray Area"
I think all of us here on Geni, place a value of honoring our dead,
and would only place data in a profile, with the purest of intentions.

So far, I haven't found any photographs of relatives on the Find-A-Grave site - very surprised to hear they have them. Have found photos of relatives graves - plus one instance where the poster has incorrectly listed someone as the daughter of a person I know was her brother-in-law, not at all her father (incorrect relation given, as "calculated", on both their 'memorials'!) - so do not take everything there as gospel.

Yes, in any sort of genealogy, errors "creep" in. An image of a tombstone is more factual - and the stone carver could have gotten the dates wrong. Etc. It's all correctable!

(aside: FindAGrave's "calculated" relationships come from someone hand-entering a "memorial-number" into either a "Father", "Mother", or "Spouse" field. Even aside from guess-work and incorrect relationship knowledge, there are always typing errors, too.)

Back to Public/Private discussions ....

Lois, I've found many, many photos of relatives on Findagrave. It's one of my favorite resources for that sort of thing!

I haven't used http://deadfred.com/ in a while but I love the concept. It's wonderful to match image with data.

To get back to Chris' question - and maybe we need to develop more fully in the http://www.geni.com/projects/Provenance-and-Images/1020 project - my experience is that people want to know "where did that cool image come from???" more than anything.

I often attach photographs of graves to my distant relations. I have always thought that if I was to find an ancestor with the place and photo of their grave it would be a wonderful help to find it myself, or at least to see something about them if it was too far away to ever visit.

Of course, if I have a photo of them I place that as the main image, but I always put the photo of their headstone, if I can, in addition.

The whole idea of having a grave is to have a place to memorialise that person. I had not thought about it distressing someone to see that. Now I can see that some people may find it so.

However, I still think that it would be preferable for anyone wanting to remove any photo's or documents to contact the manager or collaborator who has added that information to the profile with a request, especially when we are talking about 5th and 6th cousins - more understandable if it is someone's parents or grandparents that they may have a right to request that it is removed. Imagine adding a photo to your own grandparent's profile (say) and having a distant relation remove it!

I do not really understand the new rules fo public/private any more.
Dead old people managed by me can be made private or public.

Living people managed by me who do not want to be privater cannot??
There I have no choice ? what is the default for living people if there is no choice given? public or private?

(No Name):

Living: defaults to private; profile details can be made viewable for a Geni-member's profile, as control by their personal Privacy settings.

Other Living (non-Geni member): can only be made public as a Master Profile (can only be done by a Curator).

Deceased profiles within "Family Group" can be set either public or private.

Deceased profiles outside of "Family Group": Public.

Geni-member's individual privacy settings are managed at http://www.geni.com/account_settings/profile_privacy

Showing 181-190 of 190 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion