"Sources" tab

Started by Michael Legh Waddell on Thursday, July 22, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 13 posts
7/22/2010 at 8:09 AM

On my profile, there is a "Sources" tab. When I click it, it says "No sources have been added to this profile." Two questions:

1) How can I add sources? "Edit Profile" doesn't seem to have a way to enter this information.

2) Is this a place to list sources that I use when adding information? Or a place to list sources used to verify information about this profile (me)?

Thanks,
Michael

Private User
7/22/2010 at 10:11 AM

@Michael Waddell
1.) If you open that tab, near the bottom is a hyperlink that takes you to a wizard for adding a file.

2.) Use it to attach documents such as birth certificates, wills, etc. This is a fairly new feature. Many of us who have been on Geni for a while, are accustomed to adding birth and death certs in the "photograph" section. I have used it to store something that might be used by multiple profiles. I found a source that contained the text of the wills for an entire family. I attached it to "Sources" so I can find it, no matter which Chenoweth ancestor I am working on.

Most of my information still goes on the "About Me" tab under "Edit Profile." Anything added there shows up on the Overview when a profile is first viewed.

I hope that helps.
Maria

7/22/2010 at 10:17 AM

Thanks, Maria. But I don't see a hyperlink that takes me to a wizard for adding a file. Perhaps this is because I'm not a Geni Pro user?

7/22/2010 at 11:38 AM

I don't either and I' a pro user, Milt

7/22/2010 at 2:54 PM

Nothing to do with being a Geni Pro user. It's the "sources" tab in the main profile (Overview, Info, Timeline, Discussions, Sources, Tree Matches -- ignore tree matches:))

As Maria explained, what's particularly nice about the wizard is that one source can be attached to multiple profiles. I've been doing that for census records, for instance. I noticed one clever fellow created a text document with the citation information from "ancestral file" (http://www.familysearch.org) for profiles. That explains to any observer, "If you are tracking an error, this is where it occurred."

If you can't see the "source" tab it may mean the profile is set to "private." I (quite correctly) don't see a "source" tab on your profile, for instance.

To further back up Maria's point, for a "shared public profile," it's most useful to enter explanatory verbiage in the "overview" or "about me" field, as that's what everyone first looks at.

If I've just further confused you please forgive me:)

7/23/2010 at 5:21 AM

Here's what I see when I click the "Sources" tab: http://www.geni.com/photo/view?photo_id=6000000009411004230

I don't see a link to a wizard. This is true for any profile I look at. Is this what the rest of you see under the "Sources" tab?

7/23/2010 at 5:30 AM

Michael,

Thanks for the screen shot. I am too lazy to return the favor so bear with me.

On my own profile I see:

No sources have been added to this profile. Add Source

Add source is hyperlinked and opens up the "Add a new source" dialog.

So something is strange with your own profile. Caching problem on your computer?

Now, to test whether it's applies across the board, let's pick a random public profile we both have access to as "collaborators" and see if you have the same problem.

Mary, mother of Jesus

I see a "sources" tab on this profile and an "add source" hyperlink.

7/23/2010 at 9:59 AM

I don't see an "add source" hyperlink on Mother Mary's profile. I tried two different browsers (Chrome and IE), so I think it's something that some accounts can see and some can't, for some reason.

7/23/2010 at 10:05 AM

"Some reason" being bug? :) Or indexing? Maria said it's a recent enhancement.

I did not initially have an "add source" hyperlink either. Your post caught my attention because I couldn't figure out how to add a source and one day, lo and behold, there it was. Maybe I wasn't just inattentive before after all.

I'd open a help ticket, it's probably an easy fix for customer support.

7/23/2010 at 10:21 AM

Are you speaking of the ad document in the overview section of the profile

Private User
7/24/2010 at 1:49 AM

Michael,
When I view that tab, I have two ways to add data I wonder, can you see them when you view one of my profiles. Go to Saphira Chenoweth Saphira Chenoweth, who has no sources attached. I see "No sources have been added to this profile. Add Source" and the Add Source is a hyperlink. There is also a little icon in the upper right corner.

Go to Arthur Chenoweth, I and you will see her husband's profile with sources added, a file with many Chenoweth wills.

Those are both public profiles. If you decide to talk to help desk about it, you can reference the profiles.

7/24/2010 at 5:43 AM

Well, I don't get to see a sources tag at all for Saphira Chenoweth (HOOKER). I'm not sure why. This may be because I don't have permission to edit the profile, since I'm nat a collaborator with Kevin Andrew Severud (the profile's manager). Or it may be because that profile has a pending merge. Either way, the tabs I see there are "overview, info, timeline, discussion".

But I do have looked at dozens of "sources" tabs on profiles I manage, and in every case there is no "Add Source" link.

I do see the sources tab for Arthur Chenoweth, Sr., and I can see 'Chenoweth wills.pdf" listed. But there is still no way for me to add a source.

Private User
7/24/2010 at 6:48 AM

Well, Michael, I don't know what else to suggest. If you think you would like to use this feature, you should probably talk to help desk. Sorry, wish I could be more help.

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion