Zombies please

Started by Noah Tutak on Friday, May 28, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 361-390 of 3493 posts

Around: Mercy Ellis

I think the advice from

Private User

at

www.geni.com/discussions/show/6000000007144223232?msg=6000000009128...

is worthy of being repeated here:

1. Choose "Relatives" - top left of a Geni screen - to the right of "Home" and "Tree". You are then looking at your Family Group.

2. Retain yourself as the Focus Person, but change Group to Ancestors, filter on "Living", and click "Update List".

If you have living ancestors, you will now see them. I was shocked to find I have 268 living ancestors, and I am now trying to do something about that.

Around: Rebecca Borton

Done up to here.

@Noah: re. Done through here (page 58)

This one (page 54) is now dead, but remained private:
Gerard De Semur

This one (pages 54,55) is a tough one, remaining alive and private:
René I d'Anjou, titular King of Naples

I was able to get René I d'Anjou, titular King of Naples just now...

@Michael A Stangel
Thanks. The profile was abandoned, so I grabbed it.

If you want to help the zombie hunt, try looking for the living ancestors of one of your collaborators with whom you don't think you share many living ancestors. Here on that basis are some of the should-be-deceased ancestors of Bjørn P. Brox (Bjørn I trust you don't mind I tried yours as an example!)

Erik Bruse

Peter Medelpadius

Henrik Limbek

Máelcorcre ingen Dúnlaing Ó Tuathail

Ragnall, Son of Godfraid, King of the Isles

Mor Nic Taidhg

Fergal O'Ruarc

Malk of Lyubech, prince of the Drevlians

N.N.

I have found as I am sure have you and others that the Erskins,Campbell, Douglas, stewarts and a number of othrs can get very messy.Just the Campbell's alone are so cross bred and the men had zellions of wives and mistress a' plus they seem to like the first name of Colin. Every wife and mistress had a son names Colin. So Every Colin had several sons named Colin and so . Crazy huh/ Judy

@Philip It is possible that Gerard De Semur's manager marked him as private.

Done up to here.

Thank you, Noah!

Mary Ann Giddens managed by Private User

@Noah
Re. Gerard de Semur (page 60)

I think many of the zombies I fed you were private. However, in most instances running your script not only killed them, but also caused them to become public, a desirable outcome. The exceptions (now dead but still private) include Scott Hibbard managed profiles and a few others. On page 54 Bjørn Brox proposed a plausible explanation for historic profiles remaining private. Do you agree with that hypothesis? If so, what can be done about claimed zombies?

I have some private Scott Hibbard managed profiles in my zombie ancestors. How do I get them unzombied given that I can't click a full reference to them? I see them only as:

M. Levi

L. Melchi

M. Jana

J. Joseph

A. Mawr

J. Mattathias

@David Prins
This is the case where being a Pro member helps. In such cases I used Advanced Search, specifyng the surname, gender, and "living", then searching the results for the manager (using the browser's Find function). For very common surnames, which may yield 1000 profiles, that is impractical, but for less common surnames, one finds the target profile quickly:
Levi Ben Melchi
Melchi .
Aedd Mawr, duke of Cornwall
Joseph Ben Mattathias

Sorry I don't have time to find Levi and Joseph. Even though you provided their first initial, one cannot specify a first initial in Advanced Search. Hence one must move through all living Levi, advancing 5 pages at a time (no binary search of the results).
In future please provide the gender of each person (inferable from the photo place-holder).

Philip,
in theory, Geni will unclaim historical profiles, but this often takes "forever", as Geni first tries to contact these "managers". Never mind that they haven't logged-in in ages, and the majority of their profiles were made "abandoned" and put-up for grabs, except of course, for the immediate Family-Group of the claimed [historical] profile, which leaves little islands of untouchable zombies.

I probably have almost a dozen such in my tree. There are dozens more such, that I haven't even bothered going after, until someone takes over the abandoned profiles... and merges those into my tree...

Noah, any chance we can somehow improve the handling of this problem?

Husband of Margaret de Wrenbury needs to be killed.

@Ric You are so mean :) LoL

Philip
MANY thaks for that. Very much appreciated. My cry of help was really addressed to Noah, and BIG THANK YOU for taking this up. This may sound silly, but I had never previously noticed that you could tell a profile gender from the silhouette.

So I can add now that M Levi and J Joseph are both male.

I have other zombie ancestors owned by other profile managers but I may try some further searches myself.

Philip, *maybe* I can help you and other readers of this thread on the "lack of binary search" problem. Actually it's lack of binary chop. Suppose there are 100 pages of result, and you think your result might be somewhere near page 50. You can only advance at the bottom of the page five pages at a time. That's a drag. Here is what you do:
- Advance from the start of the list to one of the allowed pages (say page 5).
- Look at the URL at the top. It will have "page=5" somewhere in the URL. Manually change that to "page=50" and it will take you straight to where you want to go.
- Continue navigating through the list by straight edits to the URL.

This works for me in (non-PRO) Geni searches in Internet Explorer. I can't speak for other browsers.

@David Prins
Your M. Levi ancestor managed by Scott Hibbard is:
Matthat Son of Levi ben Melchi

@David Prins
Your J. Joseph ancestor managed by Scott Hibbard is:
Jannai (Jannei) ben Yosef

Showing 361-390 of 3493 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion