Zombies please

Started by Noah Tutak on Friday, May 28, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 301-330 of 3493 posts

When I worked on my 4800 name tree in Family Tree Maker, it did not require a death date, so when I did not have one, it was left empty. when I transferred my tree to Geni, it became a problem for MY managed trees. I will correct them as soon as one of you notifies me about the problem.

Around: Robert II, King of Scots @robert

And this means what? Judy

Judy,
as Noah said in the very first comment of this discussion, a "zombie" is a profile that is wrongly marked as Living, when in fact it should be long dead. Due to privacy-issues, Geni prevents Collaborators from merging profiles of "living" people. So if a profile is wrongly marked as such, this can block merging, even in the middle of a tree.

What you see people doing here, is posting links to profiles around which they have found "zombie" profiles. Noah, of Geni staff, then runs a "script" (i.e. small program) on this part of the tree, which checks if these profiles should be deceased, and then marks them as such.

Around: Thomas de Ros

Thank you. I'm working on it. They'll all get fixed when I get to it. Got a lot of people to double check. Can only do them one by one.

Judy,
if you're fixing your own profiles, then you might find some of the following tips useful:
http://www.geni.com/discussions/6000000007144223232
for example, you can list all of the ancestors or family of a specific profile. You CAN generally presume that your great-grandparents ancestors (or the like) are all deceased.

Angus Wood-Salomon You can always post one again and ask me to look deeper. Sometimes it works when I run it on their parents or another close by profile.

Michael T Lancaster which "Bug" problem?

When acting on a merge request through e- mail, sometimes the next merge request you try to do containes the new profile in the left hand side and the former profile in the right hand side of the compare screen. if you close down and try again the same happens. you must simply give up, because whatever you try you get the same two profiles. in the public discussion " Possible bug" there are at present two others that have had the same problem. I have had it happen three times. at least two times with a female and a male profile. the first time, i thought it was a bad stack i had opened. but when all 16 profiles were of different persons i gave up and didn't think more of it, two days later the same happened with other profiles and again a couple of days later. it only happens when answering merge requests received by mail and you use the link in the mail, i have not had the problem with requests in the Geni mailbox or within the application, only external mail requests.

@Philip I don't skip any, but the script isn't 100% effective. In this case, I have edit permission on Hibbards profiles so I marked these as deceased the old fashioned way (by editing the profile). I was able to kill zombies around the other one by first merging a duplicate of a nearby profile.

Done through page 48.

No zombies just no one seems to want to do research on ancesters.
If you check Eleanor of Aquitaine . You will see that her parents are William
X Duke of Aquitaine and Aenor de Chatellerault. Not Aimer I of Chatellerault
and Dangereus L'lsle Bouchard. The latter two are her grandparents on
her mothers side.So do your research. Just don't jump to conculusions.

Here's one for you. How do you find out more about native american sides when they've taken white names. and tribe no longer exsits. Judy

Here's one for you. How do you find out more about native american sides when they've taken white names. and tribe no longer exsits. Judy

At least on the local level (in my area), Native Americans are rarely listed as Indian. On most occassions, they are listed as mulatto. Surprisingly children or grandchildren are listed as white. A rare few, generally of historic importance and lsited by their tribal group. At some point, written records cease and family legends take over. Of my ancestors who are Native Americans, I have the documents listing them as mulatto, the area where they lived and maps of the tribal lands from that era. It is, genereally, concluded that a free Mualtto paying taxes/owning land/etc would be a Native American. Sometimes treasures are found in the deeds saying the person is of a specific tribe. An expert on Quakers in North Carolina relayed this information when discussing ancestors at a NENC Genealogical meeting.

@Noah
re. Done through page 48.
They are now dead, but still private, whereas in previously processed batches the zombies I posted also became public. Why the difference?

I don't want you people ito touch my tree. Don't care if you readit. I don't yours you don't touch my tree. You can relay info and visa versa. Judy

I am quit capable of fixing my own tree. In fact I just fixed some of it and will work on it some more latter on this week. I have a lot more info to insert in various palces and I"ll do it in my own good time. Judy Judy

Showing 301-330 of 3493 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion