Boone Tree

Started by Private User on Sunday, May 23, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-35 of 35 posts

Theresa Renée Eléna Tossas-Cox I think you're right -- I don't see any sources that state "Morgan" as the middle name of the famed explorer, only his son. I suggest we remove it from this profile unless someone can provide a source.

Name done.

Thanks Erica!

Funny (?) story: my grandmother was given the middle name Boone when she was born. She always hated it, and changed it to Mary when she joined the Catholic church. Her name was Alberta Boone an obvious namesake of her father's brother, Albert Boone Hill. The family lore was that Albert's middle name came from some kind of connection to Daniel Boone, but we never knew what, exactly, because there's no close blood relation. Turns out Albert's great grandfather, James Carmichael, served as commissioner of Warrensburg, MO. One of the other commissioners was Daniel Morgan Boone ! So we think that's where it came from. James' wife, Elizabeth Barton, is the granddaughter of Joshua Barton -- one of the 35 or so people who accompanied Daniel Boone on the expedition that established Fort Boone, which eventually became Boonesborough, KY.

That's a cool story.

Showing 31-35 of 35 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion